Does anyone else like these odd female names?

I like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], [name_f]Eudora[/name_f], and [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f].

[name_u]Leslie[/name_u], reading over your name list again got me thinking – how do you feel about a clunky name with a cutesy nickname? I can help you come up with a list of those :slight_smile:

I love cutesie nicknames like [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Mercy[/name_f], [name_f]Meg[/name_f], [name_f]Sally[/name_f], [name_f]Lolly[/name_f], etc.

I have to be honest though and say that I will not be having a child at this point in my life. But I would love to hear such a list and think others -who might be having kids - would too.

One of the things I like best about my beloved [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is all the cute nicknames: [name_f]Helma[/name_f], [name_u]Billie[/name_u], [name_f]Mina[/name_f], [name_f]Minna[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], and [name_f]Wilma[/name_f].

Best,
[name_u]Leslie[/name_u]

Okay, here’s a list that I think you may like:

[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] –> [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Geraldine[/name_f] –> [name_f]Dina[/name_f], [name_f]Ally[/name_f]
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f] –> [name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] –> [name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] –> [name_f]Fifi[/name_f]
[name_f]Prudence[/name_f] –> [name_f]Pru[/name_f], [name_u]Rudy[/name_u]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] –> [name_f]Mags[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]

I’ll probably think of more later :slight_smile:

[name_f]Hortense[/name_f] is a wise choice, but [name_f]Ludmila[/name_f] and Miroslava sound very attractive. Good nickname potential too.

I absolutely love [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]! I think it’s just gorgeous.
It was so close to being our first daughters name, but I caved in to the criticism in the end and we switched it on the way to the hospital.

I love [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], [name_f]Gertie[/name_f] and [name_f]Peony[/name_f]!

I kinda like [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] actually. I mean it’s not high on my list, but I don’t hate it.

I prefer Zemira to [name_f]Zamora[/name_f]. [name_f]Zamora[/name_f] is a not uncommon surname in my area.

An “odd” few I have a soft spot for:
[name_f]Beulah[/name_f] - I know it’s hideous, but I still like it.
[name_f]Verbena[/name_f]
Casimira
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
Bethlehem/[name_f]Bethel[/name_f]

is a very small town near where I live, and the hills roll gorgeously, particularly in summer when they are dry. I always think of that when I hear [name_f]Zamora[/name_f].

And [name_f]Beulah[/name_f] is SO not hideous in my opinion! It is soft and strong and admirable sounding. In fact, I love all your “odd” names: [name_f]Verbena[/name_f] is a delight and [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] a favorite of mine ever since reading [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] of Sunnybrook Farm as a girl. Casimira is new to me as is Bethlehem, but I like both. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] somebody jumps on these names! :slight_smile:

I do love [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] and I like all the P’s except [name_f]Prune[/name_f].

I also love Casimira and I like [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] but the “wee-na”/weiner part is a no for a dd imo

My two loved and unborn children are named:

[name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_m]Russell[/name_m]
and
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]

so there is some overlap.

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f]!

I like variations of these names but not really the original names. It would be cute to meet these children though. [name_f]Hortense[/name_f]-[name_f]Hortensia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eunice[/name_f]/[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]-[name_f]Estella[/name_f]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]/[name_f]Gertie[/name_f]/[name_f]Gert[/name_f]/[name_f]Trixie[/name_f]-I am not that keen on this.
[name_f]Edwina[/name_f]-I quite like this.
Ludmilla/Miroslava-[name_f]Milla[/name_f] or [name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_f]Thelma[/name_f]-Nah
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]/[name_f]Doris[/name_f]-[name_f]Eldoris[/name_f] is cute.
Wilmet-Nah
[name_f]Zamora[/name_f]-Nah
[name_f]Pansy[/name_f]/[name_f]Peony[/name_f]/[name_f]Petal[/name_f]/[name_f]Prune[/name_f]/[name_f]Prunella[/name_f]-Nah

[name_f]Eunice[/name_f] and [name_f]Doris[/name_f] are both cute.

[name_f]Zamora[/name_f] is a relatively famous football (soccer) player in the UK! Not for me but might excite a few husbands…

I like Miroslava.

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is the only one I like. [name_f]Thelma[/name_f] and [name_f]Hortense[/name_f] are ok as well, I guess. also like [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], [name_f]Wilma[/name_f], [name_f]Gladys[/name_f], [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Hyacinth[/name_f], [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f], Alvhilde, [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f], [name_u]Alva[/name_u], [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] and [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] along the same lines. :slight_smile:

• evidently one of THE hot names at the turn of the last century.

I like [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f] b/c it is just so darned weird, but also as a vehicle for the nickname [name_f]Heddy[/name_f] or [name_f]Hedy[/name_f].

And [name_f]Elfrida[/name_f] has an odd, elfen charm. :slight_smile:

I love [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]! [name_f]Eunice[/name_f] is okay, but I don’t love it. Miroslava and Ludmilla don’t actually sound old lady to me, just Eastern European and I’ve known women by both of those names.

Other “old lady” names that I like: [name_f]Edith[/name_f] ([name_f]Edie[/name_f]), [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Beryl[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f]

The only ones I like are [name_f]Peony[/name_f] and [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], but I’m sure you’ll find love for some of the others on here, by other Berries.

I like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] (and [name_f]Estella[/name_f]), [name_f]Pansy[/name_f], and [name_f]Petal[/name_f]. [name_f]Eunice[/name_f] would be rather sweet on a baby girl, and Miroslava has charm, though I think it’s too exotic for me to use. I also like [name_f]Trixie[/name_f], but more as a nn for [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]/[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. Although my friend [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] is thankful she’s just [name_f]Trixie[/name_f], as she loathes [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]!

[name_f]Phyllis[/name_f] is one I’d add. I was trying to get behind [name_f]Phyllis[/name_f] a few months ago as we had a dear older friend by that name, but I think it’s just a wee bit too clunky for me to actually use. It doesn’t sound clunky, though; maybe it’s just the look.