Does anyone in your family share your name/have a similar one?

My brother and his wife announced a few weeks ago that my niece will be called Annalicia (nn [name_f]Anna[/name_f]). My name is [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], but I don’t mind.
That same brother is named [name_u]Brett[/name_u]. A cousin’s husband is a [name_u]Brett[/name_u], another cousin is named [name_u]Brett[/name_u], and his coming son is going to be a [name_u]Brett[/name_u] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. That’s a lot of Bretts. We also have a cousin named [name_m]Brent[/name_m].

My grandma is [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], mum is [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] and sister is [name_f]Adele[/name_f] thats about as close as they get

My extended family has two [name_u]Kelly[/name_u]'s (one married into the family), a [name_f]Hadlee[/name_f] (nn Haddie) and an [name_f]Addy[/name_f], a [name_u]Grady[/name_u] and a [name_m]Grayson[/name_m], and almost every girl in the family has a nickname that ends in an ee sound. On the other side we have two [name_m]Jackson[/name_m]'s and a Jackston. My husband’s name is [name_m]Brian[/name_m] we’re about to have a [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] marry into the family.

edited for privacy

Other than a few boys being Jrs the only one I can think of is having a cousin named [name_u]Mason[/name_u] on both sides of my family. On my dad’s side my cousin [name_u]Mason[/name_u] is two years younger then me, we sort of grew up together until I lost contact with that side of the fam. On my mom’s side, my cousin and his wife named their third son [name_u]Mason[/name_u] when he was born two years ago. There are probably more as my grandpa (mom’s side) is the oldest of 20 (yes I said 20 kids) and my grandma (mom’s side) is the youngest of 8 kids - so I am pretty sure there are more similarities but I’m not close with any of my relatives other than my grandparents from my mom’s side of the family so I wouldn’t actually know.

[name_f]EDIT[/name_f] - I feel a little stupid… my little sister is named [name_f]Kenna[/name_f], after our grandfather (dad’s side), [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] - and we have an uncle [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] named after him as well (and I think he might have a son named [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] - not sure about that one). I was actually suppose to be named [name_f]Kenna[/name_f] but well I was named [name_u]Harley[/name_u] instead so when my dad and not-so-much-step-mom had twin girls one of them was named [name_f]Kenna[/name_f] after our grandfather.

I have two uncle Jeffreys, two aunt Karens, and a grandma [name_f]Karen[/name_f], and my grandfather is [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] after his uncle, who was named after his father who was named after his father, and my brother is [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], too. So living we have two [name_m]Dan[/name_m]'s, but in our family tree we have five.

I’m the only [name_f]Heather[/name_f] in my family but my youngest sister has the same initials as me. [name_f]Heather[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_f]Jade[/name_f].

All but one of the girls on my father’s side of the family have names starting with S, after my grandmother – one of the oldest of my cousins is legally named after her, although we all call her by the name her parents had originally picked prior to our grandmother’s death. My brother, who is one of very few boys in our generation in our dad’s family, is named a variant of my grandfather’s name.

As a sort-of-related one (which I think is really cool), on mom’s side, I have an uncle whose middle name is [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] – if you go up our family tree there, there are a [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] and a [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] (or a [name_m]Vincenzo[/name_m] and [name_m]Domenico[/name_m]) in every single generation. I love it.

I’m an [name_f]Amy[/name_f] who was supposed to be [name_f]Rochelle[/name_f], but my then-ten-year-old brother insisted on [name_f]Amy[/name_f] because he had a crush on our older cousin [name_f]Amy[/name_f] the year I was born. Our parents just went along with it to keep the peace and because they were more concerned with the notion that I was only supposed to live a few more days if they were fortunate. It’s a cute enough story and it didn’t really matter because I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve actually seen that cousin [name_f]Amy[/name_f], but I’ve always hated it a little. They didn’t even vary the spelling. The least they could have done was let me have [name_f]Aimee[/name_f].

I was named after my paternal grandmother - [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. My second middle is [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] - shared by my maternal grandmother, paternal aunt and it is also my maternal aunt’s middle.

Nope, the closest is my cousin having the middle name [name_f]Joanne[/name_f] and my name is [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. My husband is a [name_m]Robert[/name_m] though, and all the first born sons in his family are named [name_m]Robert[/name_m]. So his Dad and his Grandad are both [name_m]Roberts[/name_m] as well… It goes back for over 12 generations.
I think it’s silly for families to use the same name over and over again. There are sooo many names out there, why make this difficult and annoying by repeating it?

My cousin whom I am really close to has two sets of [name_m]John[/name_m] and [name_u]Clare[/name_u] (she married into their family) as aunts and uncles. One set she doesn’t see very often, however, to stop the confusion her dad’s brother goes by his middle name [name_m]Randall[/name_m]. It was a complete coincidence that both Johns married Clares; but it’s all quite amusing.

My dad’s name is [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] and his cousin was named [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. I can’t remember exactly how that came about; but I believe Dad was born first and his aunt or cousins (?) really wished he had been her son instead. Strangely enough.

My family has lots of repeats.
There’s three Chases (all brothers), so my mom changed my brother’s name to [name_m]Cole[/name_m]. There’s a [name_u]Mason[/name_u] on each side of the family [name_u]Mason[/name_u] P and [name_u]Mason[/name_u] T). There’s [name_m]Roberts[/name_m] all over my dad’s side as they usually go by their middle names.
My OH’s side is filled with repeats since it’s their “thing” to use family names over and over. There’s a Lilyen “[name_f]Lily[/name_f]”, a [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] and a just [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. Two Fredericks, more Clays/Claytons/Barclays than you can count and two Jordans and [name_m]Harrys[/name_m] as far as the eye can see.

My older cousin has a diminutive of my name. Its literally only two letters off from my name. Its never been an issue and no one made a fuss about it. I also have two cousins named [name_f]Amanda[/name_f]. We just call one big [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] and one little [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] or “[name_u]Mandy[/name_u]” when we’re discussing them to ourselves.

Well my middle name, [name_f]Aleksandra[/name_f], is my younger sister’s first name! Also, I have a cousin named [name_f]Aleksandra[/name_f] (our fathers are brothers). Also, I have distant cousin named [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]. Uff seems like a lot of Alexandras! :slight_smile:
My mother shares her middle name, [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], with her cousin (technically my aunt, but in practice she’s only 3 years older than me and we call each other cousins).
Also, my two great-grandfathers from my fathers side shared the same name - Stanisław.

My great aunts name is [name_f]Esme[/name_f], my aunt is [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] and I’m [name_f]Aimee[/name_f]. They all mean love. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and and [name_f]Aimee[/name_f] have similar sounds and [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] and [name_f]Aimee[/name_f] have the A and M is common.

As a name nerd, I’ve always wondered how my dad didn’t notice that his oldest is named C@thryn and I’m K@itlin (different moms)! My Godmother’s name is K@thryn, too. Also, my Mom’s name is L.ynn which sounds the same as the end syllable of my name, and a few people have pointed it out. She says she didn’t plan it that way. My godmother’s oldest daughter has the middle name L.ynn, after my mom.

Not to mention, my half-brother is named [name_m]Jon[/name_m]@than, and he has two sons named [name_m]Jon[/name_m]@than [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. and N@than. Then my second half-sister is married to a [name_m]Jon[/name_m]@than, and THEY have a [name_m]Jon[/name_m]@than [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. also.

I have an aunt named C@rol [name_f]Beth[/name_f] and her granddaughter (my cousin’s daughter) is named Kor@ [name_f]Beth[/name_f]. That was on purpose, obviously. I plan on using family names as middles for my kids but not to honor these same people, so it won’t be quite so immediate/obvious.

My mother is one of eight kids, all of which have K & E first names. My father was the sixth generation [name_m]Angelo[/name_m] [name_m]Rafael[/name_m], and his 5 siblings all have “a” names (Arris, [name_m]Armando[/name_m], Arrica, Azabela, [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]). That being said, I’m one of two kids, named [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Zahara[/name_f] and a sister named [name_f]Enya[/name_f] [name_f]Zana[/name_f].
I know I have a cousin named [name_f]Felicia[/name_f], so our names are pretty similar.

Ha, that definitely happens in my family! A baby [name_m]Jack[/name_m] was recently born into the family–which, I don’t know how many [name_m]John[/name_m] variants that makes it. I remember counting once, and in a few generations, there was no less than 15 Johns born! My brother is a [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m], III, my dad’s the II, my great-grandfather is [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Russel[/name_m]; my dad has a cousin named [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Allen[/name_m], who has a [name_m]Jr[/name_m]., and another of my dad’s cousins married a [name_m]Johnny[/name_m]. I’m not sure it really counts, because it’s mostly repeats in the middle, but my grandmother was [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], and there are no less than 6 people named after her (J@cquelyn [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], J@rylynn [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Jenn[/name_f]@ [name_f]Mae[/name_f], Emm@ [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_m]Alain[/name_m]@ [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_u]Nat[/name_u]@lie [name_f]Ruth[/name_f])!

Also, my uncle is [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], and his brother is [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] (consequently not my uncle, but I guess still a relation). My grandmother has three sisters, and two of them have the MN [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. And I’m [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_f]Marie[/name_f] (and they didn’t even intend to name me after any of them!).

Apparently we believe in reusing names a LOT in my family…

:]

I have a great aunt named [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], but my name ([name_f]Katie[/name_f]) isn’t meant to honor her or anything. My name honors my mother ([name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_u]Kay[/name_u]/ [name_f]Katie[/name_f] [name_f]Sue[/name_f]).