Does Aria sound like diarrhea to you?

My sister called and asked what names we were considering for our baby who is due in [name]December[/name]. I told her that one of the names we’re thinking about is [name]Aria[/name]. She said “[name]Aria[/name]??? Ew. That sounds like diarrhea.”

(Then she went on to recommend names that I think she made up on the spot - example : [name]Dorina[/name])

Her reaction is making me reconsider [name]Aria[/name]. Does it sound like diarrhea to you? Is my sister just strange?

Not unless you’re pronouncing it ‘uh-[name]REE[/name]-a’.

I like [name]Aria[/name]. What are you considering for a middle name?

Well, considering [name]Aria[/name] is ARE-ee-ah and diarrhea is DIE-uh-[name]REE[/name]-uh, no, they don’t sound that similar. Silliness!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I was just wondering the same thing! So weird!

I had someone ask me tonight: “So what are you naming your baby, Aa-ree-ah?” People keep asking me that! Is it that hard to pronounce when you see it? I mean really.

Well I was watching Tv once and there was someone with the last name “Diarrhea”, but he would pronounce it dee-ar-ee-uh ([name]Dee[/name] [name]Aria[/name]), so perhaps that’s where your sister got the idea. If someone was mispronouncing diarrhea then it would sound like [name]Aria[/name], but [name]Aria[/name] and diarrhea both pronounced correctly sound nothing alike.

No offence, but if your sister is suggesting [name]Dorina[/name] is a superior alternative to [name]Aria[/name], then I wouldn’t give her opinion on names too much weight!! Lol.

[name]Aria[/name] is beautiful and absolutely nothing like diarrhea.

[name]Dorina[/name] is, indeed, a name, and a rather pretty one at that. ^^

Anyhow, no, I don’t think that [name]Aria[/name] sounds like diarrhea. It’s not similiar; I don’t see it at all. [name]Don[/name]'t worry about it!

Absolutely not, it does not sound like diarrhea. In addition I think it is a familiar enough word that people’s first associations are going to be music, opera, etc. Not bodily functions. That would never have occurred to me.

[name]Aria[/name] is beautiful! I would never make the association to diarrhea, even after you said it. I still don’t think they are anything alike, honestly!

[name]Aria[/name] is a gorgeous name – stick with your gut feeling! :slight_smile:

And I have to agree…the fact she is recommending [name]Dorina[/name] over everything else tells you how much weight you should put on her opinion :wink:

Actually, I have thought the same thing. [name]Aria[/name] is one of my favorite names, but DH really wants to use [name]Ren[/name] as a first name so he suggested [name]Ren[/name] [name]Aria[/name]. But my first reaction was that it sounds like some stomach illness. I don’t know. On it’s own I think [name]Aria[/name] is an awesome name.

No, but I must admit to thinking that about the name [name]Daria[/name].

“Does [name]Aria[/name] sound like diarrhea to you?”

No. Period.

And I think I’m (unfortunately) hyper-sensitive to negative associations with names. I don’t like [name]Rhea[/name] for that reason, but [name]Aria[/name]? It is just pure beauty.

Absolutely not! [name]Aria[/name] is a beautiful name and your sister’s comment shouldn’t make you reconsider. When she meets the baby she will realize how much she loves the name after all.

Good lord no! [name]Aria[/name] is pretty, and has its own lovely vocabulary meaning.

[name]Do[/name] you think she’s possibly a) jealous of the baby b) jealous of you and the amazing changes that you are going through c) insecure about her relationship with the baby or you or d) trying to undermine your self-confidence in that lovely way that sisters sometimes do? I think usually name criticisms point to other issues about control or a sense of loss that often manifest during pregnancy and the early all absorbing months of parenthood and go away as the criticiser develops their own unique relationship with the child. Or she might just be tactless and silly!

Um… no.

But then I’ve been around music my whole life, so [name]Aria[/name] sounds like what it is… a piece of music. Like sonata, or the modern ballad.

[name]Aria[/name] to diarrhea is a big stretch.

[name]Juliet[/name]

Thanks all!

It’s still on our list.

[name]Aria[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] is simply lovely.

no