Does Augusta really sound that bad with my last name?

The opinions expressed here are most definitely mixed, and I think mine is too. On the one hand, I love [name]Augusta[/name] (such a classic, strong name, but I’m partial to it, as we named our son [name]Augustus[/name]); on the other, I can certainly see the teasing potential with your last name (even with it being [name]Nguyen[/name], as it’s so common most people will know how to pronounce it). If it were me, I’d go with [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] or [name]Antonia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] instead. [name]Both[/name] are lovely combos.

@lovelywillow- Yes it does help. It’s not as obvious as a name like [name]Wynne[/name]. Plus I thought it was pronounced “Nwin”, like “nu-win” said really fast

@catloverd- It’s not common because Vietnamese- Americans are not common. I’ve only met one and he was half. And when he moved back to [name]California[/name] I went back to knowing zero Vietnamese people. Asians in general are concentrated on the west coast so most of [name]America[/name] has little to no knowledge of how to pronounce these names. I almost always hear it pronounced “ni-jen” or “nuh-goo-en” or “nuh-guy-en”

I live in the midwest and everyone here knows it’s pn [name]Winn[/name]… It depends where you live. I have a good friend who is dating a [name]Nguyen[/name], so that could add to it. And it’s very common, it’s the number one Vietnamese surname.

[name]EDIT[/name]:
I just looked up for global wise and it’s ranked #4, so yes, I think a lot of people would know how to say it…

I think it’s fine, if you love it. I know a [name]Justin[/name] [name]Angel[/name], and the parents didn’t realize it until after he was born and named. But, just a thought, what about considering [name]Carolina[/name] [name]August[/name]?

We all have to let go of good names sometimes due to conflicts with our last name, and if I were in this situation, I’d probably be saying goodbye to Augusta. I would go with Caroline Augusta Nguyen, as others others suggested (though you may have deliberately kept Caroline out of the top spot since it’s much more common than Augusta), but even there she might have issues when she shares her full name (which actually happens quite a bit). Still, because the spelling of Nguyen isn’t as intuitive, most people won’t catch the humor of it, so if the potential associations don’t taint the name for you, use it!

That being said, I grew up with two unfortunate name issues: I had a middle name and a last name both having to do with flowers, and I happened to share the name of an infamous presidential mistress during the time of a scandal. It’s not so bad for a little girl to be associated with flowers (or, for that matter, an “Augusta Win” at the Master’s), but I certainly could have done without the mistress jokes (and your girl may grow tired of her “a gust of wind” association). Of course, those jokes also helped connect me with other people, especially when meeting someone new. While I wouldn’t necessarily recommend naming a child something just to create clever wordplay, I would say from experience that my special name did more good than bad for me (especially once I got past those shy, awkward middle school years).

If you don’t think about the jokes, Augusta Caroline Nguyen is an absolutely gorgeous name, and if you love it enough to accept it AND all its potential associations, go ahead and use it. I doubt people would catch on to the “a gust of wind” connection due to the fact that your last name is not spelled “Winn” or “Wynne” (where the joke would be more obvious).

Thanks for all the input. As much as I keep coming back to it I think I am going to have to let it go as a first name. Makes me very sad. I realized I wouldn’t like having a name that sounded like a gust of wind so there you have it. I do really love [name]Caroline[/name] and while it is in the top 100 its been pretty steady so it doesn’t bother me too much. [name]Do[/name] you guys not think that [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Winn[/name] would have the same problem? Also do [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] sound like a good sib set?

I love [name]Augusta[/name] so much… but I probably wouldn’t use it in this circumstance. [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Antonia[/name], [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Agatha[/name], [name]Alice[/name] would all be options for me if I wanted to stick with an A name and keep [name]Caroline[/name] in the middle position.

What about [name]Augustina[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]?

Or just [name]August[/name]? I’ve met a little girl [name]August[/name]… thought that was precious.

I’m embarrassed to note that while I have seen that last name a lot, I have never known how to pronounce it. Of course, if I’d known someone with it, obviously I would. I’m glad to know now; it will save me a lot of future embarrassment! :slight_smile:

I’m sad that you’ve decided to let it go, but you’re right – if you wouldn’t want that name, you shouldn’t give it to your daughter. I’m also impressed that you are able to step back and look at it from that perspective. Many parents aren’t able to see that point of view. As far as your question about [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Augusta[/name], I don’t think it’s the same because almost no one will say her full name out loud, except at formal occasions and then no one’s thinking about the sound of the name. I also think [name]Caroline[/name] is one of those names that is classic and even if it gets popular, it will never be dated (like [name]Aiden[/name] or [name]Mackenzie[/name]); it will just always be a lovely name.

I pronounce [name]Antonia[/name] an-TONE-ee-ah. I love [name]Carolina[/name] too as well as [name]Caroline[/name], thought that’s a bit more classic and less vintage/feminine. [name]Augustina[/name] to me is gilding the lily and [name]August[/name] lovely but quite boyish.

[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Winn[/name] doesn’t have the same problem because middle names are only used right when you introduce the child to family, but when the child is in school, she won’t have to share her middle name. I only have like 5 friends that know my middle name (assuming they haven’t forgotten by now!) so she can avoid teasing by not telling anyone her middle name.

Yes, I see “a gust of wind”. Also, you can quite litterally “win at agusta”. The master’s tournament is held at the [name]Augusta[/name] Golf club. And you’ll often hear “after his augusta win…”

I said Vietnamese-Americans. Of course it is common globally because Asians are the majority of the human population. They are a minority in the US
Plus, if Vietnamese-Americans were so common, wouldn’t you know more than 3? And I’d know more than 1/2?

I do know more than 3, I just said I know 3 who have the last name [name]Nguyen[/name]. The surname is actually in the top 100 in [name]America[/name] as well…

It’s number 57.

I don’t think it’s that bad, but I in your shoes would be on the fence too. I love the combo starting with [name]Caroline[/name], and love that the initials woud spell CAN - what a positive word : D!

FWIW on the other discussion, I grew up in a city in the midwest with a large Vietnamese-American population (and it is not the only city outside of [name]California[/name] to have one, there’s a lot of history in a set of cities you can read about if you want), and the surname in question was easily one of the most common after [name]Smith[/name] and [name]Jones[/name]. I knew at least 8 with that surname in a high school of 1800, and many more Vietnamese Americans, probably at least 50. It really just depends on where you live. But in my experience, living in several other large cities around the country at least, more people know how to say it than don’t.

[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] is much better and I wouldn’t worry about the gust a wind problem if it was in the middle spot. If I were to read the name [name]Antonia[/name] out loud I would say, an-TO-nee-ah