Does Belphoebe sound really weird?

I really like [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and I’d like to honor someone with “[name_f]Bel[/name_f]” in their name but I can’t decide if I like this name or if it’s just too odd. Thoughts?

I quite like it. It feel a familiar, literary and unique all at once

2 Likes

Yes it sounds quite odd to me personally.

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] is such a great name. Saying Belphoebe out loud doesn’t sound pleasing…

4 Likes

I’m sorry I don’t like it. It sounds like a stomach ailment to me. I think [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u] sounds nice tho.

2 Likes

Lol! Like licorice I guess. Seems people either love it or hate it. Thanks for the replies. :slight_smile:

I’d personally go for [name_u]Bell[/name_u] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] instead

1 Like

I like Belphoebe, it’s a bit different and pretty. I would probably use it in the middle spot though.

1 Like

To me the name does sound really odd it’s a mouthful and doesn’t roll of the tongue. I would either have [name_f]Belle[/name_f] then the middle name [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] or have [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] as the first with [name_f]Belle[/name_f] as the middle name

2 Likes

I don’t mind Belphoebe. It has that “eccentric aristocrat” vibe and I can picture it in a Telegraph birth announcement. However, it is a bit of a mouthful and most people won’t be familiar with the literary reference.

2 Likes

To me, it just sort of sounds like you’re saying [name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] because it doesn’t flow together and register as a one name, if that makes sense? I’m not a fan of smoosh names in general so it also just might not be my style. I think it has a nice look to it though. I still might prefer it as a middle name.

2 Likes

I used to like it, but I cant picture it on a child. It would make a cute middle name though, and I would love [name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] as separate names.

1 Like

I really like it! It’s unique and beautiful :blush: I don’t think it’s “odd” at all when you look at the scope of names that people use today.

1 Like

What about Phoebe-Belle?

1 Like

I’m not a fan of it to be honest.

1 Like

Years ago there was a regular here, [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], @geeknamezyo, whose top combo for years in a row was [name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f]. I love that combo and it still comes to mind whenever I see [name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f]. I think this is a lovely name, but I prefer when the pronunciation is more BELL-fee-bee, or even when the phoe is slightly less fee and a bit more edging toward pho like the noodle dish, so like BELL-fubee… over the bel-FEE-bee pronunciation. The name reminds me of the Fairie Queene. I think it is worth considering, though I love your [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] combo as is.

2 Likes

I remember this too. So pretty! :purple_heart:

I like [name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f]. I think it would confuse most non namenerds and/or literary buffs, though, so I’d probably only use it as a middle.

3 Likes

I like it, but I think, like @hyacinthbucket said, that for people who aren’t really into names, that it would be hard and confusing. It would be great as a middle name, or even as [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f] or [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f].

2 Likes

I agree with the middle name thing. I don’t think I’d be brave enough to use it as a first.
[name_f]My[/name_f] only hesitation with [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f] is that it sounds like the word feeble to me. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Thanks for the input! I think I’ll keep it as an interesting mn idea if I don’t use [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] as a first name. :slight_smile:

I actually love [name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f], but I’m not sure I’d use it because it does seem over the top. I’d be pleased to meet one, though! If I used it, it’d be a middle name for sure, though.

Good luck!

1 Like

[name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f] is a hard no for me. It’s like the appalling Reneesme from the [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] books. I’d go for [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] instead.

1 Like