Does Common Become Boring?

We have always loved the name River, but it continues to rise and rise. I especially get concerned that it’s rising for girls and wonder if it will become more common for girls than boys even! (currently SSA #105 boy, #150 girl)
We plan to stick a solid male-dominate name in the middle (Atticus is our top pick).
What do you all think…is it common to the point that it has become boring when you hear it? Do you associate it more with a girl?

Not boring! I’d still find it unexpected in my area (southern US), but I expect this is somewhat regional. I wouldn’t have any gender assumptions for [name_u]River[/name_u], though the only one I’ve met was a girl.

Never actually met a [name_u]River[/name_u]!

I don’t think it’s common to the point of boring - for me, a name has to have been in the top ten for a number of years - or, have been well used/classic for a long time

Not at all!

I’ve never met a River before, and I wouldn’t be surprised if someone with this name was a boy, a girl, or any other gender. It’s quite a recently growing word name, which makes us totally neutral in my eyes. It’s a cool pick!

I agree with PP that a “common to the point of boring” name would have to be much more highly used for a much longer time to reach that status. :wink:

I’ve certainly been hearing it way more lately than I ever used to, which has made it lose a little bit of its spark, though I wouldn’t call it boring. I personally think of it as a boys’ name since every [name_u]River[/name_u] I’ve encountered has been male.

I couldn’t tell by your post if you’re currently expecting or it’s just hypothetical, but if you have the time to wait, I’d keep an eye on future patterns in popularity. If it doesn’t suddenly spike way up, I’d be less worried about it starting to sound stale.

I’ve never met one, my only specific association is [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_m]Tam[/name_m] from [name_u]Firefly[/name_u] but I have no strong gender associations either way. [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] is a really nice pairing!

To me, common to the point of boring is for things like… [name_u]James[/name_u]. [name_u]Liam[/name_u]. [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. I think [name_u]River[/name_u] is a way off that sort of level!

I can see names starting to feel boring when they become too popular, but [name_u]River[/name_u] is far from that. Boring is, like, several years in the Top Ten. But then of course I’ve never personally met one.

I personally prefer [name_u]River[/name_u] on a boy, but I’m aware that I cannot assume either way.

I hear [name_u]River[/name_u] a lot where I live (and mostly on boys) but I don’t think of it as boring at all!

No, i don’t think it’s boring, [name_u]River[/name_u] is really cool! I’ve never met a [name_u]River[/name_u] before, and i wouldn’t assume a gender because [name_u]River[/name_u] is very neutral to me

river doesn’t seem too common to me, i’ve never met one! i see it as a boy’s name myself. river atticus is really lovely!

1 Like

No, I don’t find [name_u]River[/name_u] boring at all, and I have only heard it used for boys! I think it is a lovely name!

1 Like

I think “boring” is created a mix of common / popular and also how a name sounds / the vibe it gives off (some names are just grey).

I don’t think [name_u]River[/name_u] is one of these names though. Despite becoming more popular, I think it still has it’s whimsy and charm, and remains a lovely, unisex choice.

I also think there is something to be said for popularity on naming websites verses in the real world - [name_u]River[/name_u] is everywhere online, but I’ve never met one and I only know of one toddler with this name.