Does Elliot sound effeminate?

DH and I have started to really like the name [name]Elliot[/name], but I’m not sure if it sounds just a little… girly. What do you think? [name]Will[/name] a little boy named [name]Elliot[/name] have a fighting chance on the playground?

It does to me… Sorry… It’s just because the name starts with ellie… Yeah

I met a baby [name]Elliot[/name] and never even considered it to be feminine sounding. I can see if its shortened to [name]Ellie[/name] thats girly, but otherwise I’d think its fine.

I know quite a few Elliots and none of them have ever been called [name]Ellie[/name]. I’ve never even thought it sounded anything other than a boys’ name, sure it’s soft-sounding but so are a lot of names and I’m sure nobody’s ever called [name]Liam[/name] a girly name.

I know a few boys named [name]Elliot[/name] and I have never thought of it as a girly name! [name]One[/name] of them goes by [name]Lea[/name], another by E and the rest just go buy [name]Elliot[/name]!

PS. I think [name]Elliot[/name] is a fantastic name :slight_smile:

[name]Elliot[/name] is a great boys name, doesn’t sound feminine to me at all. Reminds me of [name]Emmett[/name]. The double tt ending is part of what makes it particularly masculine in my mind.

I agree with others. It is clearly a boy’s name so does not sound feminine. It is on the softer side of names but I don’t think it’s one that would cause teasing.

I love [name]Elliot[/name]. I think it’s such a handsome and classic name.

[name]Elliot[/name] is definitely a handsome male name. :slight_smile:

No! It is not girly. It is a handsome boy name with some soft qualities which I think is a bonus.

Considering [name]Elliot[/name] is a boys name, I think he stands every chance.

I don’t think [name]Elliot[/name] sounds at all girly. It’s clearly a boy’s name. I didn’t know any [name]Elliot[/name]'s but I did go to school with an [name]Ellis[/name].

[name]Elliot[/name] has a very masculin image for me. Not girly at all!

[name]Elliot[/name] effeminate? Absolutely not. I have only known males named [name]Elliot[/name], and my cousin hangs out with one. The idea of [name]Elliot[/name] on a girl makes me cringe, but on a boy, it’s handsome, recognizably male, and not overused. Most of the popular images for the name are male: [name]Elliott[/name] from ET, [name]Eliot[/name] from Leverage, [name]Elliot[/name] from [name]Law[/name] and Order: SVU. There is also an [name]Elliot[/name] on some teen program. So no. Not effeminate.

Although, it can be a little bit unisex, it is still clearly used more on boys by a long shot. That to me, makes it masculine. It might not be as masculine sounding as something like [name]Maximus[/name] or [name]Gunnar[/name], but it is not effeminate at all.

I can’t believe how much the show Scrubs has ruined this name for people. There is nothing feminine about the name, and by saying it starts with ‘[name]Elle[/name]’ makes it feminine, it doesn’t, that’s like saying every name that begins or ends in a certain way is strictly masculine or feminine.

[name]Elliot[/name] is a well known boy’s name, with both the [name]Elliot[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name] spellings near enough in the top 100. I’ve actually heard of girl named [name]Elliot[/name] recently in the UK and it made me pretty sad but here’s me hoping the trend doesn’t continue to rise over here.

[name]Elliot/name would be absolutely fine in the playground because he is a boy wearing a boy’s name.

Sure, it has some typical “feminine” sounds in it, but do children comprehend that? Not really. They pick up the [name]Eliot[/name] is a boy’s name and [name]Ellie[/name] is a girl’s name and go from there. [name]Little[/name] kid’s don’t worry about similar sounds between girl’s and boy’s names - unless it’s ridiculously obvious I suppose.

To sum up, it’s fine. :slight_smile:

[name]Elliot[/name] isn’t feminine. A boy named [name]Elliot[/name] isn’t a boy with a girly name; rather, a girl named [name]Elliot[/name] is a girl with a masculine name.

None of the Elliots I’ve encountered (all boys) have ever seemed to have a problem with the name. FWIW, I think it’s a great one.