Does Genevieve sound snobby?

See the results of this poll: Does Genevieve sound snobby?

Respondents: 41 (This poll is closed)

• Absolutely Yes!: 3 (7%)
  • Sometimes Yes: 5 (12%)
  • Might or Might Not: 11 (27%)
  • Sometimes No: 4 (10%)
  • Absolutely Not!: 18 (44%)

Well I really like the name [name]Genevieve[/name] but I can definitely see it being a little bit ‘much’

To be honest, I think it depends on whether or not you would use a nickname, like [name]Ginny[/name] or [name]Viv[/name], even sometimes. For some reason, it just seems to show that you’re not taking the name too seriously, if that makes sense, and that you’re making it playful, fun, and less intense. . .

Yeah. Thats one of the reason we like it. Is because it comes with so many usable nn’s.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]. I don’t see it as snobby at all, and I love the nicknames [name]Gennie[/name] or [name]Evie[/name]

Thank you. Our other favorite is [name]Chloe[/name], which makes my heart sing but is very popular. [name]Genevieve[/name] is our second favorite and its not as well used.

[name]Hi[/name]! I love [name]Genevieve[/name] so much (it’s one of my favorites), and I personally don’t think it’s a snobby name. Elegant, yes, but to me, not snobby. And like someone mentioned, cute nicknames can give you the best of both worlds (I love the [name]Evie[/name] nickname!).

I know of two darling little Genevieves now (one goes by [name]Genevieve[/name] only, and the other is [name]Gigi[/name]), and I’m thinking that my association with these little munchkins helps me see the sweet side of the names.

Then again, even without knowing of these little girls, [name]Genevieve[/name] still wouldn’t sound snobby to me. To me, [name]Genevieve[/name] is no different than any other long vintage name, such as [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Mirabel[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], or [name]Vivian[/name], or any other French name.

I noticed that [name]Chloe[/name] is your favorite name, and I hope you go with the option that makes you the happiest! :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

No, I don’t think it sounds snobby. Perhaps girly and frilly, but definitely not snobby (unless, of course, her name was [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name] [name]Seraphina[/name] [name]Alexandrine[/name] [name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Aureliana[/name] [name]Delphine[/name] [name]Xiomara[/name]). Like previous posters have said, the many nicknames make it more casual. Since [name]Chloe[/name] is another favorite, I thought I’d mention that I think [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] is lovely.

Not really. Well, if you’re using the French pronunciation, many people would see that as pretentious because a different pronunciation is well-established in English.

It’s definitely frilly which can come across as snobby. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a beautiful name.

[name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Genevieve[/name]!

I accidentally selected Absolutely Yes in my state of sleepiness and not being fully awake yet, but I meant to vote ABSOLUTELY NO! I think it is a beautiful name, and I know the most adorable three year old little girl named [name]Genevieve[/name] and snobby is the furthest thing that comes to mind. I think of caring, kind, feminine, delicate, and lovely. Not snobby :o) [name]Don[/name]'t mistake elegant for snobby.

:o) [name]Sheridan[/name]

Though not a favourite name of mine, I think [name]Genevieve[/name] is still pretty and feminime. It also has many (as you’ve pointed out) nickname choices.

I adore the name [name]Genevieve[/name]! I think it is so elegant and beautiful.
I can see that some people might think of it as being a little pretentious to use the name unless there was a French ancestry in the family. I’m not sure if this is what you mean when you say ‘snobby’. I don’t think the name sounds 'snobby in itself, at least no more so than any other long, elegant, unusual girl’s name.

“Does [name]Genevieve[/name] sound snobby?”

Only if you give [name]Genevieve[/name] the middle name of “Her-[name]Royal[/name]-Highness.” lol

Honestly, [name]Genevieve[/name] is a sweet-sounding name that evokes a feeling for a bygone era. I absolutely love the name [name]Genevieve[/name].

– [name]Nephele[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]!

Someone always hates it, or someone always hates it because they think its “snobby”? There is a difference. Honestly, either way, this is your baby, and if you both love the name, you should use it! There isn’t a name that every single person loves, so you should be confident enough in your own choice to use the name despite potential dislike. If you aren’t that confident, maybe it is time to look again…

Anyway, I don’t think [name]Genevieve[/name] is snobby at all! Maybe I can’t picture [name]Genevieve[/name] on a “trashy” little girl, or on a “country bumpkin,” but those are just stereotypes, and stereotypes - like records - are meant to be broken, right? I think [name]Genevieve[/name] is classy (yes, this can be confused for snobby), elegant, sophisticated, formal, beautiful, romantic, and sweet. No, not snobby.

I know the most lovely, driven, talented, beautiful young [name]Genevieve[/name], and she has three sisters - [name]Rebecca[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], and [name]Madeline[/name]. She goes by [name]Genni[/name] or [name]Gen[/name], mostly…

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I dont think it necessarily sound snobby as much as i wouldn’t be s surprised to find out that [name]Genevieve[/name] was a snob. I guess the way to put it, it has snob potential. It’s a very extravagant name (in my opinion) so some people may assume that she is snobby. Such as when you know a bunch of bad Brittneys and Ashleys so then the name sounds snobby. I think its a personal experience that would make someone think she were a snob.