Does Golden stick out in a Southern-ish/Masculine sibset?

Hey all, I have a problem. I really, really love the name ‘[name]Golden[/name]’ for a boy. I see it more of a twist on [name]Holden[/name], and reminds me of the character [name]Golden[/name] (also a boy) from the [name]Toni[/name] [name]Morrison[/name] novel, who lived in [name]Virginia[/name] (the character, I mean). So I see it as a nice Southern-esque name that would fit in with my sibset of ‘[name]Graham[/name]’, ‘[name]Sawyer[/name]’ and ‘Ellanora’. I know it’s a tad whimsical, and I usually tuck my more fanciful choices in the middle name spot ([name]Basil[/name], [name]Rhett[/name], Honeycrisp) where they can be easily dropped or modified. But I really want [name]Golden[/name] in the first name spot. Would it stick out like a sore thumb? I want to know how people who don’t have the [name]Holden[/name]/Literary connection would think of a [name]Golden[/name].

Can it stay in first spot comfortably, or should it play second fiddle to another name on the list? Which are mainly one syllable masculine names, like [name]Knox[/name], [name]Nash[/name], [name]Reed[/name], [name]Ash[/name], ect.)

I feel it is better as a middle name, mainly because I think of the phrase “golden boy” meaning specially favored, favorite son type of thing, and think that could be an annoying tease growing up, and when he is an adult. It’s a nickname associated with many famous people, so although it feels unique and special to you, I fear that it would sound like a cliche to others.

I also think it is too whimsical to fit with [name]Graham[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name] and Ellanora, which are all well-established first names. I think [name]Knox[/name] [name]Golden[/name] would be a better overall fit, and better name for your little boy now and later in life.

I think [name]Golden[/name] sounds kind of effeminate. I could easily see him being called [name]Goldie[/name] in school. [name]How[/name] about [name]Jefferson[/name]?

Sorry to be crass but even for a girl but especially for a boy I would be concerned w/ “golden showers” teasing, and jokes about urine, etc. Also he could be called “golden girl” or have the theme song sung at him his whole life! [name]Just[/name] being honest. I know those locker rooms and middle school can be brutal and it’s a very obvious joke to make b/c I know if you try hard enough you could find teasing potential for any name. Also it seems way to effeminate to me especially w/ [name]Goldie[/name] being known as a nn for a girl. I really love your other kids names and style especially in the middle (never heard of Honeycrisp before, I love it). I’ll be back later when I have time to look for some suggestions if you are still open to them since you have great style and those are the best sibsets to make lists for at least for a name nerd like myself!

I think it fits well with the other names you have, but I really think you should think about the teasing factor. I think [name]Gold[/name] is a good, solid, strong nickname for a boy though.

Thanks all, for your views. Like I said the name [name]Golden[/name] has been part of my consciousness since early high school, so I had no idea how it would of been received by the general public. I guess it’s really is to whimsical for first name spot. So it’ll probably be second name material.

@kashed: Ellanora’s middle name Honeycrisp came from the Honeycrisp apple. DH’s family has had an orchard for generations, and we wanted to use ‘[name]Apple[/name]’ but it was to 'OMG LIKE [name]GWEN[/name]‘S DAUGHTER’ at the time. So we named her after a type of apple. She has cousins with middle names like ‘[name]Gala[/name]’ ‘[name]Russet[/name]’ ‘[name]Sundance[/name]’ and first names that are also [name]Apple[/name] types, like [name]Franklin[/name], [name]Taylor[/name] and [name]Crispin[/name]. In fact, part of why we were drawn to [name]Golden[/name] is for its apple connections–especially the [name]Golden[/name] Haralson.

If anyone would like to suggest first names, we were looking for one syllable ones, to flow right. But any odd number might work

Here’s my first name suggestions:

[name]Ace[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
Brave [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Cash[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Crew[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Cruz[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Dash[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Finn[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Nash[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Storm[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Tate[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
Vice [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Emerson[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Callahan[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name] or [name]Finnigan[/name] ([name]Finn[/name]) [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Golden[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] [name]Golden[/name]

That’s where Honeycrisp comes from, of course, what a great tradition! Sorry for repeats:
If I were you I would go with [name]Holden[/name], but if you want [name]Golden[/name] in the mn spot more than…you cant have a [name]Holden[/name] [name]Golden[/name] _. It’s perfect with the sibset though and I love the [name]Salinger[/name] connection.
[name]Brice[/name]
[name]Clay[/name]
[name]Clyde[/name]/[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name] nn [name]Harry[/name]/[name]Hal[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name]
[name]Noel[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Ray[/name]
[name]Rex[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Tyson[/name] nn [name]Ty[/name]
[name]Wilder[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Zeke[/name]

[name]How[/name] about Goldwell? It’s not also an adjective which might help!