Does it get better?

I think I just need reassurance from all you momberries out there. I’m 7 weeks into my first pregnancy.

I’m currently laying in bed in a dark room, ice packs on my chest, room is spinning. [name_f]My[/name_f] back hurts, I’m nauseous and I know that in approximately 5 minutes I’m going to have to get up to pee. I am living off antacids and plain crackers.

Does it get better? :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

We’re pregnancy twins! I wish I could hug you and give you an extra package of saltines :upside_down_face: :frowning_face: I’m very sorry that these times are bad. The trend is that it gets better! There is hope. Hang in there.

1 Like

I think for most of us it gets better. For me it did around 10 weeks or so and started to lessen until by the second trimester I wasn’t sick at all. Then you have a few comfortable months of watching your stomach round and having more energy before the last bit, which for me is never much fun again. But then you have your baby!

Tea and ginger ale were all I could stomach (and the tea sparingly as it was caffeinated), dry cereal (like oatmeal squares), salted crackers, and bread were pretty much it for a while. I also took a prescription for the nausea for the worst of it (your doctor can prescribe should you need it, there are options for if it gets so bad you can’t function) and the biggest thing for me was not letting myself get hungry. Eat preemptively. It’s so much worse on an empty stomach.

I promise you that as hard as it is that it’s worth it! I hope you feel better soon!

1 Like

I was one of the less lucky ones who remained sick until nearly 3rd trimester. I was mostly betterish by 23 weeks, but I still threw up at least once a week until 27 weeks.

However… the early, consistent and draining morning sickness was my ONLY discomfort for pregnancy. And I wouldn’t have traded that final trimester of bliss (most people start getting really uncomfortable again toward the end but I had such a great time right up until and even, dare I say, through labor and birth) for anything.

Everyone is different. But for MOST people, this is temporary. Everybody is dealt a different pregnancy hand, but I think we all have different gifts along with the struggles.

Short answer… hopefully? Probably? I hope.

4 Likes

Try sucking on hard candy. Jolly Ranchers really helped with my gagging and dry heaving. Good luck.

1 Like

For me the second trimester is always the best. A lot of the sickness subsides by then and pregnancy becomes enjoyable. I did read somewhere that vitamin B6 is meant to help with nausea.

1 Like

It gets better. I was like that with my first, it was terrible. I swear I barely ate for 12 weeks. Things got better after 12 weeks, I wasn’t nauseous all day long after that, but still vomited nearly daily until 18 weeks. It returned toward the end of pregnancy, something people don’t tell you! With my second I was much better, didn’t have the never-ending daily nausea, just waves of it for about a month. You’ll get through it! I didn’t find much that helped me except sips of ice water and eating when I could (and what I could… plain crackers made my stomach turn, but chocolate biscuits settled it so that’s what I ate).

1 Like

It will get better. You have about a month of feeling rough, which isn’t fun, but battle through that and it’ll soon be replaced by what I’ve affectionately termed jelly belly - the feeling of your baby wriggling around. [name_f]Ginger[/name_f] biscuits were brilliant for me, plus eating little and often and whatever I felt like - so don’t feel bad about eating only what you can eat right now. You’ve got the rest of the pregnancy to be healthy and nutritious, first trimester is just about getting through.

But the constant need to pee remains, unfortunately. I’m up in the middle of more nights to use the toilet than I sleep through, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Sounds like you are my pregnancy twin @hyacinthbucket!

I felt awful during trimester one and at LEAST the first half of trimester two. Gradually got better during second trimester and now I’m 32 weeks, finally back up to my pre pregnancy weight and loving life just as other preggo mums are starting to complain about feeling like whales and cumbersome, achy etc

So I’d say that more likely than not you’ll feel better soon if you’re at 7 weeks. But on the off chance you stay feeling grotty throughout your second trimester don’t give up all hope- you may still get a beautiful third trimester :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pregnancy sucks huh? I’ve always been pro-choice, but it wasn’t until going through morning sickness myself that I was pro-choice for REAL if that makes sense. Couldn’t imagine inflicting pregnancy, birth, and the zillions of appointments on someone who really did not want to carry a child. I went off eating for a good couple weeks, felt hideous, often retched bile with bits of blood up because there was nothing else.

It got better for me from around 12 weeks, when I was still vomiting in the mornings up to 14 or 15 weeks I reaslised the issue was that I was eating my breakfast too fast and rushing too much in the mornings - slowing down helped.

Then there was a while of things being pretty good… and then in the 3rd trimester the indigestion got really bad and I was struggling with a painful pubic bone - I think possible pubis symphysis? - that made so much as rolling over in bed a careful, painful affair.

So yes it really should get better, then may or may not get worse again, and then there’s birth and a newborn…! BUT the rewards are so huge. I am SO in love with my little girl, she’s made my life so much better :heart:

If the room’s swirling for you or you’re seeing stars or anything, wonder whether it could be good just to have a check-up to make sure your hydration, blood pressure, iron levels etc are okay though?

2 Likes

Short [name_f]Answer[/name_f]: [name_f]Every[/name_f] single pregnancy is different even with the same person. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t lose your joy just take each day by day knowing the 40ish week finish line is your beautiful new baby. In the end you’ll look back and it’ll all be worth it.

[name_m]Long[/name_m] answer: Each pregnancy for me has improved in regards to morning sickness. [name_f]My[/name_f] 3rd it was only there long enough (a nausea feeling) for me to realize I should take a pregnancy test. [name_f]My[/name_f] second was first trimester sickness… my third was pretty much 41 weeks of sickness.

I say that with my first but my first was my learning all about pregnant me which can make a big difference even when it just won’t go away so some tips on what worked for me to help make the days easier:

1. Trying out different prenatals. [name_f]My[/name_f] prenatal pre-pregnancy was too harsh on actual pregnant me. I’ve realized I don’t handle well prenatals that have iron in them. [name_f]Vita[/name_f] fusion is my go to and when the dr prescribed there’s always iron supplements.

2. Eat whatever you can (within reason). I say within reason because there are thi NH s that are advised to stay away but my first pregnancy things got so much easier when I accepted for the most part that baby only wanted hot pockets, broccoli and lemonade. I couldn’t even hold down water. There’s so much out there about the “ideal pregnancy diet” but keeping food in as much as you can is better then throwing up that ideal diet later. Your baby and your body will help you kno and don’t fight it. If that only means crackers for now then that’s ok—- that will likely improve with time.

3. There are some tricks I learned via midwife and other moms.

• Chocolate is great for headaches
  • [name_f]Ginger[/name_f] isn’t for everyone - lemons/ lemonade were my thing. Midwife used to recommend carrying around a lemon to smell if I needed to
  • preggy Pops were amazing when not eating I had one of these- drugstore carried them but also amazon and maybe buy buy baby now
  • I couldn’t even hold down water so other suggested go tos by the midwife were Vitamin Water; Protein Shakes, Ice Cream Shakes, Smoothies and even Jello. Jello was a big part of my first pregnancy and vitamin water was a big part of all three.
  • Seasick bands work for pregnancy as well.

You got this Mama. Congratulation.

1 Like

Yes it gets better!! First trimester is the worst☹️ It gets better once you get into your second trimester💗

1 Like

Good luck Mama!! To echo everyone above, this is only temporary!

With my second, I had extreme “morning” sickness that lasted throughout my entire pregnancy. I had such trouble with even staying hydrated, nevertheless gaining weight, and wound up in the hospital a couple of times. I’m not keen to ever repeat that experience, that’s for sure. But my story is on the rarer side, and no doubt you’ll be feeling better within the next few weeks.

And as others have said, even if the icky feeling lasts beyond the typical first trimester, it will be a distant memory once you have that bub in your arms!

1 Like

Made it to my second trimester a few weeks ago, and I’m feeling much better (more energy/feeling less nauseous), so there is hope for you around the corner! Hang in there. I lived off crackers for a few weeks and did lots of walking to help clear my head and feel normal. Good luck to you. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you feel better soon.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who replied, I feel so much more reassured.

Saw my baby’s heartbeat on the weekend, and it made all of this feel so much easier :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I really can’t thank you all enough for sharing your kind words, suggestions and stories. :heart:

3 Likes

Yes. First trimester is not the best trimester. You’ll soon be in the second trimester, when you’ll be feeling so so much better. Around 10wks, a lot of the symptoms should start easing off, too, as hormone levels change around then.

I’m sorry you’re struggling at the moment.

It gets better. I have to say that during my first pregnancy the first trimester was extremely easy, which is probably why I didn’t realize until late that I was actually pregnant.
With my second and with this pregnancy the first trimester was very difficult.

Not a momberry but my mom said it’s always really hard during the first two months or so but it gets better until like the end of the third trimester. I hope all goes well!