Does Lila sound too "southern"???

Hello Berries!

In a conversation with a friend, I mentioned that my husband and I would like to use the name [name]Lila[/name] for a future daughter. My husband loves the name [name]Lily[/name], but the popularity is a turn off for me, so we thought [name]Lila[/name] was a good compromise. After explaining all this my friend replied that [name]Lila[/name] sounded too “southern.” I was taken aback (as any name lover would be when their name choice is questioned). So does [name]Lila[/name] sound too southern? I realize that it has a certain Southern air but do you immediately associate the name with a little girl working on a farm or having a thick Southern accent? Or am I being ridiculous letting one person affect my feelings about the name?

Any feedback or other name suggestions welcome!

[name]Lila[/name] would not strike me as southern in a million years. [name]Lilac[/name] is on my long list, which is obviously similar - and [name]Lila[/name] could be a nickname. There’s also [name]Delilah[/name] as an alternative. I think your friend might be the only person who would ever hear that name and get a “southern” vibe.

[name]Lila[/name] is NOT “too Southern.” Or even Southern at all.

I’m from the Deep South, and I know of one [name]Lila[/name]. When I hear the name, I think of whimsy and perfume and a classy sort of girl. Not a country bumpkin. A “Southern” name to me would be [name]Mae[/name], [name]Caroline[/name] nn [name]Callie[/name], or the mother’s maiden name. Those sorts of things.

Also, I love the meanings - “night” and “lilac.”

[name]Lila[/name] is a great name. [name]Don[/name]'t let another woman’s opinion ruin a lovely name for you!

I’m from the UK so maybe I can’t comment on the southern thing but seems an odd thing to suggest-I love the name [name]Lila[/name]-it was on our short list (spelt lilah tho) for first daughter who is lily-rose. If you love it don’t let a friend make you think you can’t pick it!

I don’t associate it with the South at all! Plus if you look at the babynamewizard.com’s name mapper it is only in the top 100 for New [name]England[/name] and [name]Montana[/name]. (At least currently… my browser is not cooperating so I can’t look back at other years which you should be able to do.)
If you really like the name I think you should go for it.

My Grandmother’s name was [name]Lila[/name] and she grew up in NYC so the name doesn’t seem Southern at all to me. If I had to choose [name]Lila[/name] or [name]Lily[/name] as which is more Southern sounding it would have to be [name]Lily[/name] because I associate Southern belle’s with “wilting lillies.” I have never lived in the South so I can’t say whether either are common names there.

Could your friend be thinking of [name]Lila[/name] in relation to “[name]Delilah[/name]”? [name]Delilah[/name] does seem a little Southern belle to me (and reminds me of the radio hostess, of whom I’m not particularly fond), but [name]Lila[/name]-- definitely not Southern! Opposite actually. [name]Lila[/name] seems like a somewhat multicultural choice, and I tend to think of it in the [name]Leila[/name]/[name]Layla[/name]/[name]Leela[/name] family of names. It’s very beautiful, stylish, and works well for both a girl and a woman. It’s also quite versatile in other ways. It sounds equally at home as the name of an artist or a doctor or a teacher. It’s a really good choice! [name]Lily[/name] is too popular for my tastes, but [name]Lila[/name] is still quite fresh. It also sounds more sophisticated than [name]Lily[/name].

[name]Don[/name]'t let your friend’s offhanded remark throw you off the name! It’s a great choice.

I love the name [name]Lilah[/name]/[name]Lila[/name] and no I don’t think it sounds southern at all.
It sound sophisticated and slightly vintage to me. I also prefer it to [name]Lily[/name].
The only southern association I could think of is the character [name]Lyla[/name] on the little watched Friday [name]Night[/name] Lights which is set in [name]Texas[/name].

I get [name]Zero[/name] southern vibes from [name]Lila[/name]. Your friend has a strange association!

Maybe your friend watches “Quints by Surprise” on TLC. Which the title doesn’t make sense to me when they used in vitro- different subject anyways. One of the quints is named [name]Lila[/name] and they live in [name]Austin[/name], TX.
I live in MN and when I hear [name]Lila[/name], I think “[name]Texas[/name]”, not so much “Southern”. Which in reality makes no sense seeing how [name]Texas[/name] is in the southeren US. “Southern” to me is [name]Delilah[/name] like someone else said, or [name]Georgianna[/name], southeren belle type names. I personally like [name]Lila[/name], [name]Lilah[/name], [name]Lyla[/name], etc. I think it’s a very pretty name and would fit a child well throughout her life. :smiley:

No, not really. There’s a [name]Lila[/name] in my family tree, who is from points west, not south. I kind of do get that feeling from [name]Delilah[/name] as another poster said, not sure why. I don’t care for [name]Delilah[/name], but not because it feels southern. As a semi-southerner myself, I’m not sure what would be so bad about a name feeling southern anyway : D. I do think that that long ‘i’ sound lends itself well to being said with a drawl, like Laaah-la, but still, ultimately, no, [name]Lila[/name]'s not a southern name to me.

For me, yes. [name]Lila[/name] has always had a certain Southern air. As the pp said, I think it may be that the name sounds like it’s just asking for a drawl. Also, some of my fave Southern authors-[name]Pat[/name] [name]Conroy[/name], [name]Anne[/name] [name]Rivers[/name] Siddons-have used [name]Lila[/name] in their work, so I think something about the name just conjures up a Southern sensibility. It may not be “exclusively” Southern-but then, what name is?-but it definitely has Southern overtones to my ears. I wouldn’t let that preclude you from using it, though.
[name]EDIT[/name]: I just saw that your main concern was that is sounded like a girl “working on a farm.” I don’t think most peoples’ first image of a Southern girl is a farm worker, A, and B, i don’t think that is the connotation your friend is talking about with [name]Lila[/name]. If anything, she conjures up an image of a well-born Southern girl who grows up to be a debutante and a Pi Phi at UVA.

One of my cousins named her baby [name]Lyla[/name] as a first name. We’re from Chicago and I must say that little [name]Lyla[/name] is a spitfire and the name seems so spunky to me after knowing her. No southern vibes here! :slight_smile:

I grew up in [name]Louisiana[/name], in a family from the South, and have lived in several other southern states in my life, and I’ve never, ever, [name]EVER[/name] met a [name]Lila[/name]. There’s not one in my family tree, either. It’s a nice name, but I’m not sure why she thinks it is southern.

Also, southern women are not “wilting lilies.” We are [name]Steel[/name] Magnolias. :wink:

And I think Friday [name]Night[/name] Lights is set in west [name]Texas[/name], and I’ve lived out that way, too, and can say with certainty they are not Southern. At a restaurant I asked if the tea was sweet, and the waitress frowned at me and said, “Um, we have regular [unsweet] tea!” (Which is what I wanted, but still, lol!) I think of [name]Texas[/name] as having a culture unto itself; it’s borrowed from southern culture, but I found it to be very different in many ways, as well, at least in the western areas.

To the person who said [name]Lila[/name] sounds Texan–I am from TX and have never met a [name]Lila[/name]. I have never known [name]Lila[/name] to be either “Southern” or “Texan.”

And sweet tea in TX is common. Not sure what that is all about.

Thanks for all the feedback! I’m glad to know that no one else thinks the name sounds too southern!

I was in [name]West[/name] [name]Texas[/name], almost New Mexico. No where I went served sweet tea as is; they offered sugar and other sweeteners, but it wasn’t premade (and she did call it regular tea and looked at me like I was nuts, lol). It was a pretty small town, too. I have family from east [name]Texas[/name], and they say it’s more like [name]Louisiana[/name] on their side. I’m guessing the size of [name]Texas[/name] allows for a lot of different cultures to influence different areas.

Definitely. In fact, the line that most historians use to mark the westernmost boundary of the South runs down thru [name]East[/name] [name]Texas[/name]. Galveston is very different from [name]El[/name] Paso.