Does Lilia Amelie sound ridiculous?!

I’ve stumbled upon it today and am completely smitten. [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] was my best friend’s name; as many know (or at least, some might remember), she passed away a couple years ago. I’ve always been super picky about where I use her name, so I generally opt for a derivative of a nn she had gotten from her grandfather ([name_f]Fleur[/name_f]). However, I’m really loving the dainty sweetness of [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], and I like the whole combo I had in mind ([name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]). However, she pronounced her name as ah-MILL-ee; so I have always said it that way–does [name_f]LIL[/name_f]-ee-ah ah-MILL-ee just sound ridiculous? I’m really loving the combo–it’s my favorite I’ve come across so far–but does it just sound bad?

At this point, I’m not really settled on anything, and I’m also quite loving [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] (for my undying love for Pride and Prejudice), but [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] is definitely most meaningful to me, and I’m just wondering how usable it really is. Is it cartoonish?

Thanks, ladies!

You know how I feel. :wink: And [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is gorgeous also.

It’s two very wonderful and sweet names put together, and usually that turns out well, but I think [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] is a little too heavy on the l’s.

Edited for privacy.

[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] would break up the repeating sounds, and it is gorgeous <3

@saracita00 - I feel like that would be a great solution! [name_m]Just[/name_m] what would I use? I had planned to use [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] or [name_u]June[/name_u] in honor of my sister ([name_u]June[/name_u] is her birth month), but I really don’t like [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] in any spot except for the very last possible spot, if that makes sense–I am really not too fond of [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] (although I like [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] more than [name_u]June[/name_u] here). [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is already honoring my grandmother, but I don’t honor my sister terribly much on my list, so I figured if I had the opportunity, I should take it. (Which brings up another idea–[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]? [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f], maybe, or [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], or [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]? For some reason I feel that [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] works better than [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]? It sort of breaks up all the “ill” and “ee” sounds because of the harsher “bec” sound, maybe? Either way, this is giving me more options… ([name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]…)

@ahtemom - thanks for the suggestion! I almost convinced myself that it could be a great option, and then I remember how much I hate [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] up front. :frowning:

I looked it up on forvo, and apparently in [name_f]France[/name_f], it’s mostly said more like [name_m]AH[/name_m]-mee-lee, as opposed to ah-MILL-ee? Does [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_m]AH[/name_m]-mee-lee sound any better? At least, it’s not sounding as bad to my own ears… Regardless, I’m still very much in love with [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f].

Anyone else want to weigh in?

I love it, it sounds almost musical! Beautiful combo. I really, really like it. Lots of great potential nicknames, too :slight_smile:

Edited for privacy.

[name_f]Eileen[/name_f]. Which I rather hate, honestly. It’s important for me to honor family, but I won’t use a family name I hate, haha. I hear [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] is a Scottish form of [name_f]Helen[/name_f], so I suppose any [name_f]Helen/name_f variant would work–[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] is my favorite. And I have [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] on my list for her, but I’m not sure I can imagine using [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] as a middle. I suppose I could use [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], but I have only heard it rumored [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is a form of [name_f]Helen[/name_f]?

And, hahaha, I think my sister would disown me if I used [name_f]Reba[/name_f] in her honor! She absolutely hates it (I tried to nickname her that once–I thought it was rather cool).

I’m open to any ideas you have. Here’s a link to my full list, so you can avoid names I’ve already used, if you wish. :slight_smile: There are about half a dozen flower names I’ve been wanting to get on my list, but I don’t know if I’d really like to use them with [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]? [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] are my favorites, lately. Vote on Name Lists at BabyNames.com And meh, my [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] combo isn’t exactly set, so feel free to suggest [name_f]Olive[/name_f] or [name_f]Jane[/name_f] variants, if you like. I’ve thought of [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], but I’m not to sure about it… I like the other options more, honestly.

ETA: I rather like the idea of [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], in honor of my other sister (and grandmother)–who have [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] in their names, but I’m not sure what I’d do for a second middle. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] sounds kind of stupid, and I don’t like the alliteration of [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]/[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u].

Edited for privacy.

I don’t think it would work for this particular combo, but would [name_f]Isla[/name_f] honouring an [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] be too far for you? For me, Eye-leen = Eye-lah so its a natural alternative to me, but I’m not sure if its too much of a stretch for you.

@saracita00 - haha, no, I absolutely hate [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]. I find it quite ugly and harsh, honestly. I’m okay with it in some cases (I quite like [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], for example), but 99% of the time I won’t touch [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] with a 39 and a half foot pole. :slight_smile:

@pinkballerina - idk. It’s not too far for me, but [name_f]Becca[/name_f] wouldn’t see it as me honoring her at all. She loves her name just as it is, and I feel like she’d sort of feel cheated if I tried to use a variation on her name, like [name_f]Reba[/name_f] (even if she didn’t hate it) or [name_f]Lena[/name_f] or [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. (For some reason, I don’t get this feeling with [name_f]Eleni[/name_f]? Not sure why.)

Ridiculous? No. But it is unwieldy. It takes too many tongue contortions to clearly enunciate both names so they don’t run together. I tried it a few times out loud and, while it’s pretty when said properly, I think you have to assume most people won’t take the time.

Edited for privacy.

Also, how often would people be calling her by her first and middle names? You love [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] is very special and dear to your heart. I still think [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] is gorgeous.

@saracita00 - I do really like [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], but I hadn’t really updated it. For now, I’m pretty convinced [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is my [name_f]Lily[/name_f] name. But I could be convinced to go back to [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] or [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] in the future–I seem to always be flopping back and forth on [name_f]Lily[/name_f] names! I’m not sure about [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], though–if you pronounce [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] like AM-e-lee, it sort of sounds like [name_f]Lily[/name_f] Enamel [name_u]Lee[/name_u] to me, hahaha.

@lovemysweeties - I don’t know, haha. I wouldn’t want to not use their full names because so much thought went into them! I can see me calling her [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] from here to there. But to the rest of the world, she probably would just be [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]/[name_f]Lily[/name_f] most of the time… I’m thinking about just getting over my worry and going for it–I love its summery and airy feel, and I was hoping for a more European middle for [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. It’s also got that elfish, [name_m]French[/name_m] feel about it that [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] had that I loved so much, although I’m not sure [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] sounds any better than [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] did, haha. Still trying to decide on the last middle, though–[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]? [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]? [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]? I sort of love [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], but is it too long?