Does Mae work in this sibset?

Hubby and I both really like the name [name]Mae[/name]. Problem is that he’s not fond of [name]Margaret[/name] (I don’t really love it either but it sounds nice with our ln) and [name]Mary[/name] sounds rather plain with our fairly common ln). My other kiddos are P@ul, Cl@ir3, M@rk, and K@th3rin3. [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] would both “go” better with my other kids names but does [name]Mae[/name] still work? Thanks! If you think it works what would you suggest for a mn? (Our ln begins with a T and ends with a -n)

[name]Hi[/name]!

I suppose [name]Mae[/name] would work in this sibling set, but each of your children have more traditional names, whereas [name]Mae[/name] is clearly a nickname type of name. That bothers me a bit. Furthermore, if you went with [name]Mae[/name], [name]Katherine[/name] would be the only child without a one-syllable name. Again, things like this bother me, personally. Thus, I’d go with a longer name.

I’d choose [name]Margaret[/name] over [name]Mary[/name], but I’d call her [name]Maggie[/name]. You might be able to get away with using [name]Mae[/name] as a nickname for [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Maude[/name], [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Madeleine[/name], or another M name. If I were you, I’d name her M.A. (e.g., [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]), potentially even M.A.E. (e.g., [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Alice[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]), to get her initials to spell her nickname…

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks lemon for your feedback. I have been torn about breaking my one syllable pattern. I love the name [name]Kate[/name] and my mom’s a [name]Catherine[/name] so it made since to name her [name]Katherine[/name] with [name]Kate[/name] as a nn. Also, we plan on having a large family and when I named [name]Katherine[/name] I was afraid of boxing myself in down the road by only using one syllable names on the older children. Fearing I could have the rest of only one gender and find myself hard press to find another good one syllable name. But, now I still find myself drawn to one syllable names (my top boys names are [name]James[/name] and [name]Jude[/name]) and it does seem to leave [name]Katherine[/name] as my odd child out. For the sake of balance I probably should give the next child a multisyllable name.

That is a predicament! I mean, for me it is a personal preference - but you seem to share my sentiments about [name]Katherine[/name] being the only one with a multisyllabic name…

Did you like the idea of using her initials to spell out [name]Mae[/name]? This could give you a bit more flexibility! Also, I love [name]James[/name] and [name]Jude[/name], but if you are looking for multisyllabic options, what about [name]Jameson[/name] and [name]Julian[/name]?

Take care!

That is a predicament! I mean, for me it is a personal preference - but you seem to share my sentiments about [name]Katherine[/name] being the only one with a multisyllabic name…

Did you like the idea of using her initials to spell out [name]Mae[/name]? This could give you a bit more flexibility! Also, I love [name]James[/name] and [name]Jude[/name], but if you are looking for multisyllabic options, what about [name]Jameson[/name] and [name]Julian[/name]?

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :-)[/quote]

I can see the appeal in the initials spelling M.A.E. except that I’m not too keen on 2 middle names especially since my other kids have only one. Also I think I inheritently like succinct names. I may just put [name]Mae[/name] on the backburner and see if [name]Margaret[/name] grows on my dh. Dh and I both like [name]Teresa[/name] nn [name]Tess[/name] a lot but haven’t used it b/c of concerns about the alliteration with our ln. Using [name]Teresa[/name] gets me a multisyllable name with a single syllable nn.

[name]Julian[/name] might have possibilities as a boy name; it does seem a little smoother in tone than [name]Paul[/name] and [name]Mark[/name]. I use to push dh for the girls name [name]Julienne[/name] (pronounced like [name]Julian[/name]) which now makes him think [name]Julian[/name] is androgynous.

Our last name ends in -son so [name]Jameson[/name] wouldn’t sound great. [name]Even[/name] the -n on [name]Julian[/name] isn’t the best but my dh has made it through life as a [name]Nathan[/name] without a problem. Speaking of looking down the lines in terms of sibset. [name]Paul[/name] and [name]Mark[/name] are both obviously New Testament names (their mns are also both New Testament, [name]Stephen[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name]) I’ve wondered if I should stick with that the pattern a la [name]Jude[/name] or [name]James[/name] or make an effort to avoid another 1 syllable New Testament name. (the names [name]John[/name] and [name]Luke[/name] are both used in dh’s family so I’d run out of those types of names).

Too bad I don’t know what the gender breakdown of future children will be; it would make planning their names so much easier =)

I love the name [name]Mae[/name]! I don’t think it’s a big deal that [name]Katherine[/name] doesn’t have one syllable (especially with the [name]Kate[/name] nickname), but what I noticed is that [name]Mark[/name] and [name]Mae[/name] are really similar because they both begin with M and have one syllable. That may not be an issue for you, though.

If [name]Mae[/name] is still an option for you:

[name]Mae[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Mae[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Mae[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Mae[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]

Take care! :slight_smile:

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :-)[/quote]

I can see the appeal in the initials spelling M.A.E. except that I’m not too keen on 2 middle names especially since my other kids have only one. Also I think I inheritently like succinct names. I may just put [name]Mae[/name] on the backburner and see if [name]Margaret[/name] grows on my dh. Dh and I both like [name]Teresa[/name] nn [name]Tess[/name] a lot but haven’t used it b/c of concerns about the alliteration with our ln. Using [name]Teresa[/name] gets me a multisyllable name with a single syllable nn.

[name]Julian[/name] might have possibilities as a boy name; it does seem a little smoother in tone than [name]Paul[/name] and [name]Mark[/name]. I use to push dh for the girls name [name]Julienne[/name] (pronounced like [name]Julian[/name]) which now makes him think [name]Julian[/name] is androgynous.

Our last name ends in -son so [name]Jameson[/name] wouldn’t sound great. [name]Even[/name] the -n on [name]Julian[/name] isn’t the best but my dh has made it through life as a [name]Nathan[/name] without a problem. Speaking of looking down the lines in terms of sibset. [name]Paul[/name] and [name]Mark[/name] are both obviously New Testament names (their mns are also both New Testament, [name]Stephen[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name]) I’ve wondered if I should stick with that the pattern a la [name]Jude[/name] or [name]James[/name] or make an effort to avoid another 1 syllable New Testament name. (the names [name]John[/name] and [name]Luke[/name] are both used in dh’s family so I’d run out of those types of names).

Too bad I don’t know what the gender breakdown of future children will be; it would make planning their names so much easier =)[/quote]

That makes sense about the middle name thing. Why change up the pattern now?

As for boy names, you might like [name]Andrew[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], or [name]Simon[/name] - other NT names!

Why not use [name]Julia[/name] for a girl? Also, [name]Teresa[/name] “[name]Tess[/name]” is darling, and sometimes alliteration is really nice! It depends on the last name, though…

Yeah, I guess [name]Mae[/name] and [name]Mark[/name] could be a problem. I like the boys name [name]Matthew[/name] but had given it up thinking a [name]Mark[/name], [name]Mae[/name], and [name]Matt[/name] would be way too much. But maybe a [name]Mark[/name] and a [name]Mae[/name] is already too much. I call [name]Mark[/name], [name]Marky[/name], now but I’m sure he’ll make me stop in a few years - he’s 4.
I think [name]Mae[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] is really pretty!

Since your children have such lovely traditional names, i feel [name]Mae[/name] doesnt quite fit in as like others i view it more as a nickname.

I’d choose another more traditional name or “M” name

[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Margery[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]/[name]Margaux[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]/ [name]Maeva[/name]
Maellys (not so traditional but cute imo)

I really like [name]Maeve[/name]. Anyone know if there is a saint [name]Maeve[/name]?