Does My Taste In Girls Names Make Me Totally Insane?

@rainydaygarden - I suppose that’s true, [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] and [name_f]Doris[/name_f] seem to always have between 80 and 110 births in the US right now, so they aren’t too far out :slight_smile: Haha, vintage is definitely my style, I just have a mix of classic, cutesy, revival and clunky it seems :stuck_out_tongue:

@jakki - I love that theyre bold tbh :slight_smile: The ones I’m most likely to use are [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Bessie[/name_f] and [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], but, you never know :slight_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] cousin is 30 and her name is [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. She is hands down the most stunningly beautiful person I know. She is a mum of a 2 yr old, and she’s a teacher who also does modelling on the side. So while the name [name_f]Frances[/name_f] isn’t my style, I definitely don’t see it as a clunky name. It makes me think of my model cousin who has gorgeous auburn hair and green eyes. :slight_smile:

I also know 2 other people named [name_f]Frances[/name_f] who are in their mid teens.

And I love soo many of your names in your signature! [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_m]Ernest[/name_m], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]Percy[/name_u]… So awesome!

Personal taste is obviously personal, and I agree with previous posts that almost any thoughtfully and lovingly chosen name is perfect and may make someone else see the name differently in the future whether or not they care for the name today. [name_f]My[/name_f] own nieces and nephew have names I never would have bestowed on anyone, which I have come to love.

That said, if it makes you feel better, many of your choices are very stylish right now among people I know (it seems most of my friends and acquaintances are embracing granny chic, which isn’t exactly how I’d define my own style but it describes a good bit of it) and [name_f]Maud[/name_f] is on my own shortlist. Also, I really love The Worst Witch so I am just loving every reference to [name_f]Mildred[/name_f].

I think you’re just the front guard on bringing back these names! I like [name_f]Florrie[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Doris[/name_f], and [name_f]Dottie[/name_f]. The rest seem a little old lady to me, but like others have said, people once loved these names for some reason! I think of [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables–her mother’s name was [name_f]Bertha[/name_f], and I think she thought it quite lovely. She named her daughter [name_f]Bertha[/name_f] [name_f]Marilla[/name_f]–called [name_f]Rilla[/name_f], of course.

And, I have a friend whose grandmother was named [name_f]Mildred[/name_f], and she always saw the quiet, gentle beauty of the name because of her grandmother. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And, as we’ve seen, names do cycle back! [name_f]My[/name_f] sister told me I would be inflicting child abuse upon a son to name him [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] when I first said I wanted to use that name several years ago–now, it’s becoming a berry favorite!

I think yes many are too fuddy duddy clunky, except for [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. One of my fave names. I know a little girl named [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] which I didn’t really like at first, but now the name has grown on me, especially bc of her nicknames [name_u]Dory[/name_u] and [name_f]Dot[/name_f]. I guess some of these other names could grow on a person.

[name_f]Bessie[/name_f]- I think of Good [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Bess[/name_f]. Plus, this is just adorable.
[name_f]Doris[/name_f]- [name_u]Love[/name_u] this. I like names that end in s-they just seem to have an ethereal feel to them.
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]-The softness of this old gem attracts me. So very pretty.
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]- No reason at all, but I love this name. Then again, I also love [name_f]Olga[/name_f].
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]-Cute!!It makes me think of a sunny day in a flower field.
[name_f]Maude[/name_f]-I adore this name. I love it’s unique sound and pretty spelling.
[name_f]Myrtle[/name_f]-Rhymes with turtle, therefore I love it! I also like its spelling.
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]-As I’m [name_m]French[/name_m](albeit Cajun [name_m]French[/name_m], which technically isn’t real [name_m]French[/name_m]), I love all fran- names! This is one of my faves.
[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]-[name_f]My[/name_f] great-grandmothers name is [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f](we call her [name_f]Dede[/name_f]/[name_f]Didi[/name_f]), I love this. It would be a great way to honor her.
[name_f]Florrie[/name_f]-[name_u]Love[/name_u]! Never really been a fan of [name_f]Florence[/name_f], but this is just so charming!

Style doesn’t mean insanity. Though vintage isn’t really my style, it’s not like the world revolves around the people who criticize you. They’d probably pick a Top 10 name and then would lose they’re kid in a forest because so many other kids share the same name. You’re you. You’re future baby is yours. But please don’t have babies until your at least 25, okay?

@sunkissedchild - your cousin sounds like a lovely connection! I don’t know anyone with the names on my list, so I haven’t got as many connections as I’d like. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you like my list though! :slight_smile:

@dotdraper - [name_f]Maud[/name_f]/[name_f]Maude[/name_f] is so gorgeous, and wasn’t The Worst Witch great? :smiley: I was only little when it came out, but I remember watching it religiously haha. I wish my area was embracing granny chic, some aspects are (I know a 5 year old [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and a 5 year old [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m], quite a few little [name_m]Charles[/name_m]’ and 2 [name_m]Albert[/name_m]'s under 13), but for the most part, my area is unusual with a side of made up and misspelled, haha.

@mermuse - [name_f]Florrie[/name_f]'s actually one I heard on a kid’s show from [name_m]Britain[/name_m], then the more I said it, the more I liked it, haha. I totally forgot about [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables and the [name_f]Bertha[/name_f] connection, but, [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables really ties into my background (one of the most well known Canadian stories, I believe?), so that’s a good selling point! :stuck_out_tongue: [name_f]Marilla[/name_f] is really nice too though, I actually found a tombstone in the cemetery by my house with a [name_f]Marilla[/name_f] listed, who would have been born in the 1780’s.

I’m surprised you got a comment like that for the name [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], I feel like I HAVE to use it because it’s been used so many times in my family, haha. [name_f]My[/name_f] great grandfather and grandfather, then my great great uncle, and my grandmother’s cousin. It’s a shame I don’t like it, but yeah.

@hydra - glad you like them all! :slight_smile: That is a good point though, it seems like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_u]Peyton[/name_u] and [name_u]Madison[/name_u] are the top ones here, and while I like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f], and I’m not too bothered by popularity, I think I’d get sick of constantly hearing the names (especially since I want to become a teacher, haha). Not to worry about the babies thing though, I promised my mum I wouldn’t have any until after I’ve graduated college/university, so I’ll be at least 24 :stuck_out_tongue:

Compared to a lot of names I’ve seen, your names are at least real, spelled correctly, and works for a child and an adult. I would use longer versions of some of the names, however, and shorten them to those you have listed.

I suppose that’s true - if I stay in my childhood hometown, my children would be attending school with [name_f]Neveah[/name_f]'s (yes, Haeven backwards), Paetynn’s, Irelynd’s, Serissa’s and [name_m]Drummer[/name_m]'s, haha. It seems like, because I live in a small town, everyone wants their children to be different, and have a different name.

No! A lot of these names are coming back into style, you are not the only one who likes them. I feel like names go is cycles and a lot of the names on your list are right at the point they are ready again for use.

I like:
[name_f]Bessie[/name_f]
[name_f]Doris[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Florrie[/name_f]

Are you crazy ? :confused:
(“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” [name_f]Alice[/name_f] remarked.
“Oh, you can’t help that,” said the [name_f]Cat[/name_f]: “we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
“[name_m]How[/name_m] do you know I’m mad?” said [name_f]Alice[/name_f].
“You must be,” said the [name_f]Cat[/name_f], or you wouldn’t have come here. "[name_m]Lewis[/name_m] [name_u]Carroll[/name_u] alice in wonderland ):smiley: your only as crazy as the rest of us I say that because I don’t think there is a such thing as being completely sane everyone has a different idea of sane and crazy just like names it’s always better to be abnormal anyways:D , you just like older names not bad besides when you think about it pop couture loves these names
[name_f]Bessie[/name_f] I like this one makes me think of [name_f]Nessie[/name_f]
[name_f]Doris[/name_f] not a fan but that’s because I knew a really evil old lady with this name
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f] this ones growing on me
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f] don’t like the sound of this one
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f] I love this as long as I keep a certain mouse out of my head
[name_f]Maude[/name_f] the Simpsons
[name_f]Myrtle[/name_f] I like this one but I think of moaning myrtle
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] not my cup of tea
[name_f]Dottie[/name_f] the mom from the little vampire
[name_f]Florrie[/name_f] fluoride
[name_f]Bertha[/name_f] birth
[name_f]Edna[/name_f] the Simpsons

None of them are bad! If you want ‘insane’, look at my list from just a few months ago (Waterlily and Starfall, really now?). :stuck_out_tongue:

@seazuno86 - I’m glad I’m not alone, that’s for sure! I’d like to think they’re ready for use again, but I think the various negative comments on a couple other sites had me questioning.

@darcywillow - that’s very true, haha a lot of these names do seem to be coming back (or at least ones in the same vein). :slight_smile:

@raevynstar - Waterlily is no worse than one of my big GPs - [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f]. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve seen a sibling set on britishbabynames.com consisting of; [name_u]Ocean[/name_u], Benbow, [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], Seaflower, [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f], [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f], [name_m]Hercules[/name_m], [name_m]Cecil[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] & Rover. (as well as a grandson named [name_u]Percy[/name_u]!).

Thanks again everyone, I’m glad I’m not entirely losing it yet :wink: