Does Ruby age well?

I have a crash on [name]Ruby[/name]. I always thought it was too cutesy and I tend to prefer longer names. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Ruby[/name] ages well? What do you expect [name]Ruby[/name] to be both as a child and a woman? Thanks.

I don’t think so, personally. It’s not terrible, and it certainly ages better than some other names, but it is quite young sounding to me. It’s the sound-[name]Ruby[/name] is two syllables and ends in “y,” which imitates many nicknames ([name]Dani[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Millie[/name]) but also many words primarily used by children (puppy, belly, tummy, horsey, etc.) That makes the name seem very young to me. Plus it’s a precious stone, and I think noun names tend to have more problems aging in general than non-word names.

That’s not to say that there are no two syllable -y names that age well, it’s just that I think that’s [name]Ruby[/name]'s biggest flaw. Again, it’s not the worst aging name in the world, it does have a long history of use, and I can certainly picture a doctor or lawyer named [name]Ruby[/name], but I just think other names age better.

I think it does. [name]One[/name] of my favorite books has an older woman named “[name]Ruby[/name]” in it, and it seems to fit her perfectly

The only [name]Ruby[/name] I know is a woman. I grew up with her kids, so she’s in her 50’s now. I’ve never known a a child named [name]Ruby[/name], but I think it’s a name that sounds great on anyone from little girl, to “grandma [name]Ruby[/name].” Personally, I love the name [name]Ruby[/name]!

I think so. It is one of those short-and-sweet names (like [name]Zoe[/name] and [name]Daisy[/name]) that a lot of people find cutesy but really there seems to be no reason why it won’t grow up well–imo, anyway. :slight_smile: I think [name]Ruby[/name] is adorable for a little girl, spunky for a teenager, and respectable and sassy for a businesswoman. A great choice all around, imo. :slight_smile:

To me it is more of an adult name. [name]Ruby[/name]'s cute on a youngster but the only one I’ve known personally was an older woman. I think all the gem names [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Diamond[/name], [name]Opal[/name], [name]Garnet[/name] & [name]Pearl[/name] adapt well as time passes.

My great grandmother was called [name]Ruby[/name]. I think it suited her fine, and I also think it is adorable on girls of all ages so I think it is a very versatile name.

I’ve only ever known one person named [name]Ruby[/name] and she was in her 70s, so I think of it as an adult name - but obviously it is cute for a little girl as well.

I have trouble picturing [name]Ruby[/name] on a serious lawyer or business type woman. I do think it’s adorable for a young girl!

I don’t think it ages well at all. I really love names like that ([name]Ruby[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Ruth[/name]/Ruthy) but I always have a hard time picturing a little girl [name]Ruby[/name] that is younger or older than 5-8. Is there such a thing as too vintage?

I went to high school with a [name]Ruby[/name]. She’s now 28 and it suits her very well.

I’ve also met a few older [name]Ruby[/name]'s through work, and it suits them too.

So yes, I’d say it ages very well.