Does “Sage Phoenix” sound gender neutral to you?

I’ve asked some people, most say it’s okay, but a few say [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is feminine since most of the times you’ll go by your first name only. I would like the name to be neutral, usable for all genders (aka, won’t let a boy or a girl get weird look for that). [name_f]Do[/name_f] you guys think it’s okay for a boy to go by [name_u]Sage[/name_u]? Would you be surprised?

Both [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] aren’t traditional obviously, but as this isn’t gonna be a name for a newborn (it’s rather complicated, I prefer to not disclose all details for privacy reasons), that’s not a concern.

I know this is the boy’s sub, but I don’t know where to put unisex names, so…

1 Like

It sounds masculine to me, rather than neutral.

The area of just ‘baby names’ would be a place to put gender neutral names if you want.

2 Likes

I LOVE this name!

To me, [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is a girl name and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is a boy name. But I wouldn’t let that stop you. I have a relative named [name_u]Sage[/name_u] (a girl) and when I asked her parents why they chose the name, they said, “Because you bring sage into your home for positive energy and that’s how we feel about our baby.” :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: So I think that meaning of the name can be applied to any baby, boy or girl!

4 Likes

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised! I think it’s gender-neutral- I’ve heard [name_u]Sage[/name_u] on a boy before and it fit wonderfully.

4 Likes

Interesting. If you don’t mind, may I ask where are you from? In the US, it has been slightly more popular with girls recently though obviously I personally still believe it works well for a boy. I’m from [name_f]Canada[/name_f], for which I can’t find accurate data for now

I’m from the UK.
We do tend to have more strictly gendered names ([name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is still more popular on a boy here).

I think I often just find the combination of two unisex names to read as masculine - [name_u]Riley[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Parker[/name_u] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] etc all read as masculine to me. I think because I’m so used to people who use a unisex name on a girl using an overtly feminine middle name.

I don’t think [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is a bad name, and I think since most of the time the person with the name would just be ‘[name_u]Sage[/name_u]’ that’s pretty unisex.

3 Likes

Thanks! I love the double meaning — nature theme and a wise person. Btw, that little girl has really loving parents :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Phoenix has always been 100% boy to me, so I would definitely assume [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] was a boy (even though [name_u]Sage[/name_u] on its own leans girl.)

1 Like

Could be a cultural thing. Here we hear “if you give your son a unisex name, you’d better pair it with a clearly masculine middle name since there’s a trend that unisex names gradually become more of girls’ names” more often. I can confirm the trend in the US, but maybe it’s completely different in the UK. After all, naming is all about conventions. There’s no law stating which words are names and which are not. Same for gender.

Edit: Also, an acquaintance of mine who’s a school teacher told me that most double neutral names in her class are girls. So there’s definitely a regional difference.

Yeah it probably is, unisex names are generally less common here and when they are used they’re mostly assumed male unless there’s a feminine middle (some exceptions, I think most people would assume [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] was a girl, but [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Parker[/name_u] etc would likely be read as male first rather than unisex).

I agree though, names are only as gendered as the society they’re in - really they’re all basically neutral.

2 Likes

Are you currently pregnant or is this hypothetical? I think [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] would be more girl whereas [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] [name_u]Sage[/name_u] would be more boy. I also like [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] & [name_u]Sage[/name_u] as brother & sister.

1 Like

I agree that [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] is likely a girl and [name_u]Parker[/name_u] likely a boy, but for [name_u]Riley[/name_u] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] I have no assumption because they seem to be evenly divided to me.
Being a bit traditional isn’t always a bad thing though. I love unisex and unconventional names, even some really out there ones like [name_u]Ocean[/name_u] or [name_u]Lake[/name_u]. But sometimes even I consider some American parents are going to far by giving their child a name they made up themselves (not in the sense that it’s not a name, but in the sense that it’s not a word in [name_f]English[/name_f] language at all while they’re not of foreign origin either) or butchering the spelling so that literally no one can pronounce it at the first glance.

I’m in the US and I’ve definitely heard [name_u]Sage[/name_u] used for boys and girls pretty evenly actually! I’ve met both boys and girls with the name.

I like [name_u]Sage[/name_u] on a boy a lot. I actually find it more appealing for a boy. It’s a masculine sounding word to me and there are so many nature names that are for girls only! Let the boys have a few!!

Sage [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is very handsome. I would go for it.

If it makes you feel better I’m having the same struggle with [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] - people tell me it’s a girl name now which made me take pause but I really think a lot of names are just becoming unisex but again I think [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is handsome for a boy. It feels more boy to me than girl personally!

4 Likes

I think it’s definitely unisex, especially [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u].

1 Like

Sage [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] sounds very unisex to me

2 Likes

To me, [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is unisex leaning more masculine.

2 Likes

Sage is one of the few names I think of as a truly unisex name. I’ve know both male and females named [name_u]Sage[/name_u]. And think it’s great for either gender! [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] to me leads more masculine.

If I saw [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] I would probably assume boy.

4 Likes

I’ve known so many boys named [name_u]Sage[/name_u], and only one girl with the name! I prefer the name on a boy by far, but I think it’s unisex and can work for any gender.
[name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] (so lovely, by the way!) feels very gender neutral to me. I think it’s slightly more masculine sounding, but I wouldn’t assume any gender upon hearing the name!

Good luck!!!

3 Likes

I would assume [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is a boy. (Reminds me of [name_m]Gage[/name_m])

Sage & [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] are completely gender neutral imo so yep, [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] could be a boy or girl :slight_smile:

2 Likes