Does “Sage Phoenix” sound gender neutral to you?

I would say that both are completely gender neutral. I’ve seen both [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] being used for boys and girls. I prefer [name_u]Sage[/name_u] slightly more for a girl and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] for a boy but it depends on name tastes - they’re both definitely unisex :blush:

1 Like

The combo leans male to me, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it on a girl!

2 Likes

Sage sounds feminine to me. [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is more unisex. But because of sage, I’d automatically assume that this is a girl’s name

It reads perfectly neutral to me. I am in the US, and have met men, women, and genderfluid folk named both [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]. By spelling [name_u]Sage[/name_u] like the herb, it helps keep it neutral, rather than [name_u]Saige[/name_u] which seems like a play on [name_f]Paige[/name_f].

I think part of the reasons some unisex names lean more masculine on first impression is a result of patriarchal societies. Not trying to be political about anything, just pointing out that in patriarchal societies people tend to use male as the default until we’re told otherwise. For example if you see a dog walking down the street, you’re more likely to say “He’s so cute” than “She’s/it’s so cute”.

1 Like

Yes. I find at least part of the reason why boys’ parents are more hesitant to take a unisex name than girls’ parents is sexism of our society. I’m not saying we should be able to name our sons [name_f]Jane[/name_f] or some crazy stuff, but it definitely has something to do with the stereotype of anything feminine on a man is bad.

I think Elliott is masculine leaning but also okay for a girl. I would picture a boy in my head when hearing the name, but won’t be surprised if it’s actually a girl. Around me I still hear it far more common among men. If you truly like the name, then go for it!

3 Likes

Personally I would like to keep the original word instead of unnecessarily changing its spelling,

There’re many unisex names that lean feminine I would say, but the default male assumption part is very true in general, not only for names. I still know someone who refuses to use “they” as third person singular at all. Not as in NB folks, but even as in “everyone makes their own choice”. Which is ridiculous because that usage has been in [name_f]English[/name_f] language for a long long time, just deemed by scholars as grammatically incorrect since not so long ago until late in the 20th century.

Thanks y’all for reassuring!

Sage could definetly be a gender neautral name! i love that name for a boy, my cousin named her son [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] :grinning:

Sage to me is gender neutral but I find [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] to be completely masculine so I would assume [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] was a boy.

I’ve only ever seen [name_u]Sage[/name_u] be used on girls, so honestly I can’t imagine it on a boy at all, and combined with [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], also a name more common as a girls name in my area of the UK, the combo reads as a girls name to me.

Another user from the UK said [name_u]Sage[/name_u] read masculine to them, so it’s probably a regional thing across the Atlantic too? Or I could imagine people’s experience differs because both are relatively uncommon.

Thanks, I’ll take that into account.

Firstly, what a handsome combination!

I do think this is a gender neutral name, although it does also lean towards masculine for me. I prefer [name_u]Sage[/name_u] on a boy and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] on a girl, so it balances out as a pretty neutral combination to my ears.

2 Likes

Refusing to use “they” has always frustrated me. At first with writing, especially through college and grad school, I got so sick of writing out “he or she may…” And now in a more real world way, the refusal of people to use someone’s identified pronouns makes me so angry. It is the literal minimum you can do when acknowledging someone.

1 Like

I think it gender neutral

Thanks! I did spend quite some time on choosing a great combo. As a fan of unisex and nature names, I would like a unique name but not too rare to the extent of causing frequent confusion or mispronunciation, so there’s not too many choices. I almost went one by one with all the usable names I know until I found one that feels just right.

1 Like

To those narrow minded bigots, the very existence of people outside of gender norms is offensive to them. They wish everyone who isn’t white cis and het didn’t exist at all. [name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t listen to them.

Personally I really don’t care that much for pronouns, so I usually state any/all when required. It seems some people have a problem with that too.

1 Like

Yes it sounds gender neutral to me.

I saw you on Reddit :wink:
[name_m]Just[/name_m] as I said there, this is a truly unisex name for me. It’s an epic combo too.

I love that [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is slightly soft on a boy, it gives me mysterious and thoughtful. I think most unisex names (and even some masculine ones!) get stolen by the girl camp which is just annoying. But [name_u]Sage[/name_u] hasn’t at all crossed into that territory yet (like [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] or [name_u]Madison[/name_u]). It’s truly unisex. Which is great because it leaves a person room to determine their own gender expression without having to change their name.

If i saw this name written down I wouldn’t be able to decide what their gender was unless I met them.

I’m in [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand. Our names tend to be quite unisex I think.

1 Like

Definitely gender neutral (and you can use the [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names forum for gender-neutral names)!

I think most nature names are gender neutral. So I think [name_u]Sage[/name_u] can work on a boy or a girl. Plus didnt [name_u]Nic[/name_u] [name_m]Cage[/name_m] name his son [name_u]Sage[/name_u] or was that Stallone? I feel like it was either one. I will say though, I personally dont like [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] together. It sounds less like a name and more you’re like describing something. Or it sounds like something you would find in a fantasy novel. Like the hero has to go on a quest to defeat The [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], or something.