Does “Sage Phoenix” sound gender neutral to you?

Hello my fellow Redditor! What a coincidence.

I have no problem with masculine names on girls in and of itself, but I do hope our society could be more acceptable to soft, calm, non aggressive names on boys. Not all men are the hyper masculine type, nor should they be required to be. Also, many nature names lean to unisex I think.

I barely know anything about [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand naming trends, it’s good to hear unisex names are popular at your place. They are popular here in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u] too. A few days ago I accidentally learned that many European countries require baby names to indicate the gender clearly, ban parents from using names that are primarily used by the opposite sex, even mandate people to choose from a government-approved list! While I will never name a girl [name_m]William[/name_m] or a boy [name_f]Emily[/name_f], it’s not the state’s business. I don’t want to get overtly political here, but I have to say I’m genuinely glad to live in a country that respects freedom of choice. I can’t imagine how the life of people outside of gender binary will be under that kind of requirement.

[name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand is a beautiful country. I planned to visit my cousin there this spring, but corona says otherwise. Sigh.

I think it’s a nice, non-gendered combo. I’ve only known one [name_u]Sage[/name_u]—a girl, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear it on a boy or a non-binary person. I have only heard [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] used for boys, but since it’s a non-traditional name I don’t think of it as a “boys’ name.” Also, in [name_f]China[/name_f] and Vietnam names meaning [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] are (traditional) feminine names, so I can easily see [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] on someone of any gender.

IMO [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is more gender neutral than [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is (I would assume a [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] would be a boy), but I think that both can work!

Sounds pretty non-binary to me.

Sage [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] as a whole I would picture on a girl, but it’s not overly feminine. It’s just a gentler, softer name. I’d say [name_u]Sage[/name_u] I would guess is a girl and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] I would guess is a boy but they’re both objectively pretty unisex. The combo isn’t necessarily overly masculine either. If you’re looking for something that’s in the middle, I think it’s probably near the middle, just slightly towards feminine. It’s a really really nice combo, it sounds lovely together. Might I suggest [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] as my first idea to make it even more towards the middle. But honestly any name will come to carry the same vibe as the person wearing it. So it’ll totally work!

1 Like

I think [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] are both totally gender neutral, although I actually slightly prefer both on a boy. Possibly because of this, the combo [name_u]Sage[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] reads more masculine than feminine to me, although I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

1 Like

I moved your thread to “[name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names,” as you’re looking for a unisex name. I hope that’s all right! I think it does sound pretty gender neutral.

I feel like overall it’s super neutral because even people who think it reads one way or the other are split on which way it’s leaning.

1 Like

I’ve met a girl [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] and more boys, so I think it leans to the masculine side but still not a “boys’ name”, yes. I like the mythology behind it too.

Of course that’s alright! Actually I already made a same post in [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names after someone suggested it

1 Like

I didn’t know anyone named [name_u]Navy[/name_u] and I have only seen it as a name in name lists, so to be frank I don’t know how to think about it for now. But it looks awesome. Thanks for the advice! :laughing:

Very gender neutral. [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is more feminine to me but in general it’s totally unisex as is [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] combo btw! :slight_smile: