Does Theodore work with our surname?

So I posted recently about our name choices for our baby boy and my husband and I (with your help) have decided that our firm favourite name for our son is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. It came out top on the poll and it’s what we’ve been calling him for a while so it would be difficult to let go of, but there is one little doubt my husband has. So I was wondering if anyone thought it was a deal breaker.

His name would be [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] any of you hear ‘door bell’ when you say the name?

I should point out that no one we have told in person or on here seems to have noticed this so are we overthinking it?

I think he’s worried his family will make fun of the name (my family don’t think it’s an issue), but it literally never occurred to me until he broke down the name trying to find anything he could be teased for.

Opinions are appreciated, thanks!

I didn’t notice it. I think it’s more noticeable when said aloud. I just asked my husband and said it three times. He did not notice and didn’t think it was an issue when I pointed out Door [name_u]Bell[/name_u].

If this is the worst that kids come up with, I’d say your child is pretty safe. Good luck and please let us know what you decide.

I did not notice it. I agree with pp that when said aloud it is more obvious, but I do not think it is an issue. If you chose [name_m]Dore[/name_m] or [name_u]Dory[/name_u] for a nickname, perhaps it will be more prevalent. I really do not see an issue at all. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]!

I didn’t notice.

If someone did notice and point it out, then what? There’s nothing more to say once it’s pointed out - a doorbell is a pretty mundane and neutral thing. Mean kids will find a reason to tease no matter what - if it’s not the name, it’s something else.

Thank you for the replies. I’m glad no one noticed and that you didn’t think it was an issue once it was pointed out. We still have till may to decide, but it’s eased our minds for now.

Popping in to say I love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Ridley[/name_u], is that the middle you would go with? I didn’t notice the doorbell thing and agree that it’s so mundane it doesn’t matter.

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] thanks! Yes we plan to use [name_u]Ridley[/name_u] as his middle name after my father :slight_smile:

i didn’t notice, I think you are overthinking. Unless you plan on using nickname “dore” i think you’re fine.

I didn’t notice until it was pointed out. My first thought was that [name_u]Bell[/name_u] is a really nice surname so it sounds lovely with [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. I don’t know if you plan to call him [name_u]Theo[/name_u] or [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], but if so, it’ll be even less of an issue.

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] no one seems to think it’s an issue! We will probably shorten it to either [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] or [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. We haven’t settled on one yet as I slightly prefer [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] and DH slightly prefers [name_u]Theo[/name_u].

I had no idea, because to me, “doorbell” is DOOR-bell, not “dore-bell,” as in [name_u]THEO[/name_u]-dore-bell.

[name_m]Even[/name_m] if people notice it, its one of those names that sound pretty cool anyway! And plus with there being a familiar word it makes the names sound even better together in my opinion… plus when hes older im sure people will just say “Like Door bell? Cool.”

I love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Ridley[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t use the nn Dor :wink: