Does this name honor that name?

[name]Hi[/name] Berries,
Hubby and I are still working on our boy’s list. While we try to finalize our selections, I have a question for you. My g.grandmother’s maiden name was McGill. [name]Do[/name] you think if we used the name [name]Gilbert[/name], with the nn [name]Gil[/name], it could be in her honor? [name]Do[/name] you think people would make the connection. Before you answer, you should know I’m a strong traditionalist. For example, when considering girl names, I couldn’t bring myself to use “[name]Jane[/name]” to honor my mother “[name]Jan[/name],” because I didn’t feel they were related enough. Thanks!

I do think that [name]Gilbert[/name]/[name]Gil[/name] could be used to honor McGill - I feel its a little different from the [name]Jane[/name]/[name]Jan[/name] thing because you are honoring a surname.

Other variations…
[name]Gilford[/name]
Gillen…or…
[name]Giles[/name] (pn with a “J” sound like “Jar”)

I do think that it honors McGill- another option is to just use McGill in the middle.

I can definitely see the connection. To be honest, I think “does this name honour that name” is a personal question. Some people are okay with using a name with the same meaning or same first letter, while others will only consider the exact name. If you think it’s enough, it’s enough, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. :slight_smile: Good luck!

I think [name]Gilbert[/name]/[name]Gil[/name] is a fine way to honor McGill. I agree that it’s a personal thing. I have a friend who is honoring her Grandma [name]Doris[/name] with another ‘D’ name, [name]Dorothy[/name]. Sounds like a stretch, but for her there’s a connection there and that’s what matters.

Yes, definitely! [name]Gil[/name] is also a super cute nn.

I think I works jut fine but I also like the suggestion of just going with McGill. Such a fine name!

Thanks everyone who responded. [name]Just[/name] to clarify, ‘McGill’ is off the table as it was already used for my baby sister’s mn and she has claimed future naming rights for several years now. Annoying to me b/c it was my g.g.m. name too, but I understand her point. Anyway, [name]Gilbert[/name] is our solution/compromise for this. As to the people who said it only matters to me if the connection is strong enough, I agree with that, but it is important to me that there is a strong connection in the first place. I guess that’s what I’m trying to figure out through this post. I see the connection, but if seems a stretch to most of you, that will REALLY bother me later. So better to find out now before getting too attached to [name]Gilbert[/name], nn [name]Gil[/name]. I hope that makes sense. Thanks again. Keep the opinions coming. They were all super helpful. :slight_smile:

I think it works really well and certainly isn’t too far a stretch!