Does this really strike you as a name for both genders?

So if we were having a girl this time around, her name (first or middle) was going to be [name]Bly[/name]. It’s a family name, passed down through generations on my mom’s side of the family (her name is [name]Nelly[/name] [name]Bly[/name], though people sometimes call her [name]Bly[/name]).

We have dismissed the name, as it looks as though our second child (due in Nov.) is a boy. But today I noticed here in the nameberry site that [name]Bly[/name] is listed as both a Feminine and Masculine name. And I suppose many people associate the name with [name]Robert[/name] [name]Bly[/name], the poet. My question is, do you really think a boy could carry off [name]Bly[/name] as a middle name? Or does it read (as it does to me) all feminine to you?

I suppose too it might depend on how masculine the boy’s first name is (as of yet unchosen)? Could you imagine, say, an [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Bly[/name]? A [name]Carson[/name] [name]Bly[/name]?

Interested in your thoughts, since I guess it’s a family name I can’t see it clearly enough. Thanks.

It reminds me of [name]Blythe[/name], which is all girl to me. I also think that [name]Bly[/name] could be a nn for [name]Blythe[/name]. Hmmm idk. Let see [name]Robert[/name] [name]Bly[/name], [name]Edward[/name] [name]Bly[/name], …maybe it could work.

[name]Bly[/name] feels masculine to me, and [name]Blythe[/name] feels feminine.

Wait. Is [name]Bly[/name] pronounced as “Bl-eye” or “Blee”? If it’s Blee, then its sounds feminine to me.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Jill[/name], [name]Bly[/name] is pronounced “Bl-eye”.
Interesting that it feels masculine to you…

With the long I sound at the end and without the “the” in [name]Blythe[/name], I guess it reminds me of [name]Eli[/name]. [name]Bly[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] both end in a long LI sound. [name]Lorelei[/name] has that sound, too, but I think it feels feminine to me because of its beginning sounds and longer length.

Have a good night! (Or day) :slight_smile:

With the long I sound at the end and without the “the” in [name]Blythe[/name], I guess it reminds me of [name]Eli[/name]. [name]Bly[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] both end in a long LI sound. [name]Lorelei[/name] has that sound, too, but I think it feels feminine to me because of its beginning sounds and longer length.

Have a good night! (Or day) :-)[/quote]

I really like [name]Eli[/name] so I’m surprised I didn’t make the connection. Good point by the way.
[name]Eli[/name] and [name]Bly[/name] - maybe it’s the “y” that makes it more girly for me all though with an “i” as Bli idk. There are some names I either love or hate based solely on one letter change. Like I don’t like [name]Lindsey[/name] but love [name]Lindey[/name]/[name]Lindy[/name]. All that was changed was the “s”. Weird, I know.

I think of [name]Robert[/name] [name]Bly[/name] so to me [name]Bly[/name] is masculine. I think it’d be fine in the middle spot for either a girl or a boy but it seems better for a boy to my ear.

[name]Blythe[/name] is definitely feminine however so if you’re considering a “[name]Bly[/name]” first name for a girl I’d choose [name]Blythe[/name] over [name]Bly[/name] in a minute.

I think it could definitely work as a boy’s middle name. It seems like a surname to me so doesn’t really lean one way or the other. I’d probably go with a decidedly masculine first name but I wouldn’t hesitate to use [name]Bly[/name] if it were me.

Ha, I like [name]Eli[/name] too. Maybe because it reminds me of [name]Bly[/name]? [name]Imagine[/name] giving up and naming this kid [name]Eli[/name] [name]Bly[/name]. disa, there should be a post on names you like/dislike that differ by one letter–you could start it with [name]Lindy[/name]/[name]Lindsey[/name].

I really do prefer [name]Bly[/name] to [name]Blythe[/name] (for a girl, which we’re pretty sure we’re not having, but they don’t tell you for sure at the ultrasound)–but that could be either because I like simple, pared-down names (for boys and girls) or because I’ve just grown up hearing [name]Bly[/name] so much that [name]Blythe[/name] would seem odd, like adding lace to a curtain that you’ve seen hanging all your life without it.

I wonder if anyone spells [name]Eli[/name] as [name]Ely[/name]–I do know [name]Joe[/name] [name]Ely[/name] (a musician) pronounces his last name “E-[name]Lee[/name]”…

Thanks for all the input–it surprises me to hear [name]Bly[/name] would fly as masculine. Have a good night (or morning:) too, jill.

I think [name]Bly[/name] seems masculine :slight_smile: good luck

Another odd thing: [name]Bay[/name] is considered a girl’s name, but [name]Bray[/name] is considered a boy’s name. Are certain letters considered determinants of feminine or masculine (in this case, “R” making [name]Bay[/name] masculine?) And if so, what about the “L” in [name]Bly[/name]?

I actually think of [name]Bly[/name] as more masculine.

I have never heard the name before. It does not sound feminine at all.

It could work as long as the first name is decidedly masculine.
If there is any chance that someone may have even a passing thought to appropriate it as a girl’s name (a la [name]Elijah[/name], [name]Ezra[/name], etc.), then no.

I definitely think [name]Bly[/name] works for a boy, and it’s especially fine in the middle. A lot of surnames or word names are judgment calls in terms of gender but honestly could go either way. Why couldn’t [name]Bray[/name] work for a girl or [name]Bay[/name] for a boy? Boys’ names in general are getting softer these days – witness the acceptance of classic names with vowel endings such as [name]Eli[/name] and [name]Joshua[/name]. And the whole unisex trend for both sexes has increased (by far) the number of names that work for either gender. It’s a great name and a great legacy and would be a fantastic choice for a son or daughter.

I have a soft spot for slightly effeminate boys’ names, so that may discount my opinion on the matter … but I think [name]Bly[/name] works perfectly well as a boys’ middle name. The connection with a poet and family is lovely, and I adore the [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Bly[/name] combination. I don’t think [name]Bly[/name] has quite the same softness as the girls’ [name]Blythe[/name] does, either.

Besides, middle names are barely ever used in reality - if for some reason he was embarassed by his mn, he wouldn’t have to tell anyone.

I think as a middle name it could work. We named our first son [name]Karson[/name] [name]Campbell[/name], [name]Campbell[/name] being my mother’s maiden name, and I often hear it being used for a girl now, but I don’t think any less of it for his middle name. I think you can get away with more with middle names.

Thanks everyone. I’ll definitely consider it as a middle name for our boy, once (if?) we have a first name in place (due [name]November[/name]). It will depend on the flow there, as well as convincing my husband it’s a fine middle name for a boy. I have heard my mom being called [name]Bly[/name] so long I could only imagine it as a girl’s name.