Does this sibset work?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!

I’ve been working on a fanfic for [name_f]Villette[/name_f] by [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Brontë[/name_f] (yes, I know, niche, weird :woman_shrugging::grin:) and since it centres on one of the characters - [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] Fanshawe - I wanted to name her siblings.

In the book, she has five sisters and three brothers, but we only know the name of one - [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]. I think I’ve settled on the first names and I’ve selected middles (Ginevra’s is [name_f]Laura[/name_f] in the novel), but I just want to check they feel cohesive and plausible.

The book was published mid 1800s btw

The names:

• [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] Fanshawe
  • [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] Fanshawe
  • [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Edith[/name_f] Fanshawe
  • [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_u]Earl[/name_u] Fanshawe
  • [name_u]Charles[/name_u] [name_m]Ivor[/name_m] Fanshawe
  • [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] [name_f]Laura[/name_f] Fanshawe
  • [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] Fanshawe
  • [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f] [name_f]Stella[/name_f] Fanshawe
  • [name_f]Thomasina[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] Fanshawe

I’m imagining their parents to be called [name_m]Captain[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Ivor[/name_m] Fanshawe and [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Fanshawe nee [name_u]Earl[/name_u] ‘Clara’ for what it’s worth.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] they sound okay? Would you change any of the middles (besides Laura)

Thank you for putting up with my weirdness :heart: :heart:

1 Like

They certainly do sound cohesive! The only one that gave me pause for thought was [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f] [name_f]Stella[/name_f]. Perhaps it’s the alliteration? I might be tempted to switch [name_f]Stella[/name_f] for [name_f]Esther[/name_f]. Perhaps this character needs the impact of the name [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f] [name_f]Stella[/name_f] though? It’s very striking, in a positive way!

1 Like

That sounds like a fun fanfic to write!!

I do agree that Sophronia Stella stands out a bit - because both the first and middle are unexpected for the time period (not unrealistic/inaccurate, just not what you’d commonly see in a 1800’s story!) though it’s not the end of the world!

1 Like

@EdgeOfTheMeadow yes, [name_f]Stella[/name_f] was the one giving me pause too. Thank you for the suggestion of [name_f]Esther[/name_f] - that fits better!

@tallemaja it has been fun! Thank you for your thoughts - I’m thinking a big name like [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f] might need a more grounding middle to make it work

1 Like

it sounds fun !!!

like some others have said, [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f] [name_f]Stella[/name_f] does seem to stand out. i’m also going to say that [name_f]Thomasina[/name_f] seems a tad out of place, but if it were me i woulc change [name_u]Charles[/name_u] & [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], and then the set would probably feel really cohesive !!

nns, just for fun ~

red, vinny, aura, lawrie, chuck, evy, corey // nell, ronny, & tommy

1 Like

@EllieWilbury thank you for your thoughts!! I do see what you mean about [name_u]Charles[/name_u] and [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] :slight_smile:

Those nicknames are so fun! Thank you!!

1 Like