Dog name opinions

See the results of this poll: Is Pumpernickel a good name?

Respondents: 27 (This poll is closed)

• Yes : 9 (33%)
  • No: 18 (67%)

Pumpernickel has a certain whimsical charm, but I can’t take it too seriously. I’m not seeing a good call name in there, for one thing, as Nickel doesn’t do it for me, and everyone will assume the dog was named for five cents.

I’m all for giving pets entertaining names, for not turning it into the serious business of naming a child, but Pumpernickel goes a bit overboard in the other direction. You need to come out of the process with something you can yell at the dog park.

Airedale Terriers are the “kings” of the terrier group so I really can’t see a name like Pumpernickel on this dignified creature. I’ve always read that it’s best to keep dog names short (one or two syllables) as it’s easier when giving commands. The Airedales are originally from Yorkshire in northern [name]England[/name] so I think something English sounding and spunky would be best.

Bingley (Airedales are also known as the Bingley Terriers)
[name]Heathcliff[/name]
[name]Chauncey[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
Saville
[name]Darby[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Clancy[/name]

Northern [name]England[/name] Place Names

Whitby
Halton
Barrow
[name]Carlisle[/name]
Keswick
[name]Kendal[/name]
Skidby
[name]Bolton[/name]
Wigan
Trafford
Eccles
Cheadle
Chorley
[name]Preston[/name]
Chorley
Chipping
Burnley
Bootle
[name]Crosby[/name]
[name]Upton[/name]
Skipton
Barnsley
[name]Royston[/name]
[name]Sheffield[/name]
Stokesley
Jarrow
Gosforth
Jesmond
Shipley
Whickham

Pumpernickel sounds like a name of a hamster, but I could be bias since in Everybody Loves [name]Raymond[/name], [name]Ally[/name] has a hamster named Pumpernickel

I like it! What about nixing the m and naming him Pupernickel, ya know, cause he’s a pup.