Dog Vs Baby! weigh in :)

We’ve been having a terrible time finding a great boy name for our baby to be. I have found a name I really like but it’s very similar to my dog’s name!

My dog’s name is Brombèrt. It is [name_m]French[/name_m] and pronounced [name_m]Brom[/name_m]-[name_m]Bear[/name_m]. NN [name_m]Brom[/name_m] or [name_u]Bertie[/name_u]

I would like to name our baby [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m]. NN [name_m]Bram[/name_m].

I think it would be fine if we just continue to call our dog [name_u]Bertie[/name_u] instead of [name_m]Brom[/name_m] but my husband thinks I’m off my rocker. I very well could be with these pregnancy hormones!!

Thoughts??

I think they might be a little close, I’d use [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m] as a middle name instead

It is fine. Choosing the name you love the most for your baby trumps your dog being called by his “formal” name. [name_m]Bram[/name_m] and [name_u]Bertie[/name_u] aren’t too close at all [name_f]IMO[/name_f]. Choose what you love!

I don’t think it’s a big deal. If you don’t feel that it will trip you up, I’d say go for [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m].

I think if you call your dog [name_u]Bertie[/name_u] mainly, it works. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t stress too much–loving the baby’s name is ultimately more important!

This is not a problem. They are both lovely names! I doubt anyone is going to get them mixed up!

I don’t think it’s too close! Maybe if it was the same name, yes.

[name_m]Bramwell[/name_m] nn [name_m]Bram[/name_m] is a fantastic name! It seems a shame not to use it because of the dog, who could simply be [name_u]Bertie[/name_u] from now on.

But ultimately, it’s up to your husband too. Does he actually like [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m]?

My niece is named [name_f]Aria[/name_f] and goes by [name_u]Ari[/name_u], and their dog is [name_u]Allie[/name_u], and we all have a bit of confusion about it but we all find it funny more than anything! [name_u]Ari[/name_u] loves having a pup with a similar name

I don’t think it’ll be a problem, but I grew up in a house where names, man and dog, got mixed up all the time (there was a lot going on, okay? haha). After so many times of being called [name_m]Ceasar[/name_m] (or Whiskey, or (and bearing in mind we’ve only had them three months, but it has already happened) [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] or [name_m]Milo[/name_m], our dogs over the years), you get used to it and it’s just funny in the end.

You’ll have your child a lot longer than a dog. Pick the name you love for your baby.

Thank you everyone for your responses!<3

Husband is still on the fence but its a start. Who knew boy names were so hard!

I think it’s fine. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m]!!

Your dog has such a fancy name! Does dog answer to [name_u]Bertie[/name_u]? If so you can switch to that easy enough and just use dog’s proper name in quiet times and formally.

My dog’s name is Brombèrt. It is French and pronounced Brom-Bear. NN Brom or Bertie

Why didn’t you just nn the dog [name_m]Bear[/name_m]? It’s a very popular dog name.
Maybe you could nn [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Wells[/name_m]’ or even Welly (which is a lot easier to say than [name_m]Bram[/name_m].)
Save [name_m]Bram[/name_m] for when he goes to college. :smiling_face:

I know our pets become part of the family but the name you love most for your child definitely takes precedence over the name of a pet, regardless of how similar they sound. I say that if you love it, go for it! [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m] is so wonderful :slight_smile: