dolls' and stuffed animals' names

What were your favorite dolls’ and stuffed animals’ names when you were little? You could share the official names of the dolls and stuffed animals or you could tell us what names you thought of for them.

Ooh, fun! My very first doll was named [name]Pink[/name] [name]Baby[/name], and she was accompanied by Cow Blanket, which, obviously, had horses on it. I had a crop of Cabbage Patch Kids; the first one I renamed [name]Cathy[/name] (why???), but the others I left with their “official names,” which, if you recall Cabbage Patch Kids, are always a bit odd. One was [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Cecil[/name], another was [name]Louis[/name] (my mother insisted it was pronounced Looey), and the last one was [name]Garnett[/name] Dody (called [name]Jody[/name]). I had about a million stuffed animals, though at the moment all I can remember are [name]Cleveland[/name] (named for his city of origin) and [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Graham[/name] [name]Bell[/name].

[name]Melissa[/name], your mom was right, [name]Louis[/name] is lou-ee. [name]Lewis[/name] is lou-is.

Me, the first animal I recall was [name]Zelda[/name], the grey elephant with the pink ears & blue eyes. then the purple dog named [name]Porfirio[/name]. Mama said [name]Porfirio[/name] meant Purple and I ran with it. I’ve had a ton of stuffed animals over the years and couldn’t recall them all if I wanted to, but I do remember these few too:
[name]Jerry[/name] - a white teddy
[name]Ewa[/name] - a little white lamb
[name]Bathsheba[/name] - another sheep, this one pink
[name]Winston[/name] - a [name]Green[/name] dragon
[name]Llewellyn[/name] - a blue dragon
[name]Humphrey[/name] - a hedgehog
[name]Bela[/name] - a bat
[name]Aloysius[/name] - a grey Aardvark

I still have [name]Winston[/name] & [name]Llewellyn[/name], [name]Humphrey[/name], [name]Bela[/name] & [name]Aloysius[/name]. They sit on my headboard and keep watch.

[name]Josie[/name]'s newest are [name]Bluebell[/name] - which is actually a stuffed dolly (blonde pigtails and a pink dress), [name]Dermot[/name] - a green frog with hearts all over him in deeper green and [name]Petunia[/name] - a glittery, pink build-a-bear unicorn. She’s got a ton more but the standards are :[name]Floyd[/name], a pink bear (get it?), [name]Coco[/name], the puppet dog, [name]Duncan[/name], the big brown bear and [name]Chester[/name], the snow leopard. The other animals seem to change names every time I ask ut those few are constant.

Stuffed Animals:
teddy bear “[name]Teddy[/name]”, still have it. Looks like it’s been through the wars.
My husband still has his Snoopy, and it is gray because he slept with it every night for many years. [name]Long[/name] before I met him!
dog my grandpa gave me, “Freckle Nose”, still have it. One day many years ago, its ear fell off and was on the floor. I didn’t know what it was and tossed it. Several days later I realized it was Freckle Nose’s ear! :frowning:
My son’s tiger which is a Steiff but looks very old and lumpy now is named “Mr. [name]Tiger[/name]” but [name]Peter[/name] used to call him “Mixter [name]Tiger[/name]”.
My daughter’s fave stuffed animal is “[name]Pink[/name] [name]Teddy[/name]” but my cousin called it “[name]Pink[/name] Turdy” because it was kind of dirty. That made [name]Laura[/name] almost cry because at the time we were visiting my cousin she was quite young.
My new stuffed animal kitty from Mexico is named “[name]Felix[/name]”. I don’t really like that name for it. I need to change it to something else.

Dolls:
My husband called his G.I. Joes “Joes”. They were all named [name]Joe[/name]. He still has them at his mom’s house.
[name]Every[/name] time I played with my Barbies I named them different names.
But I had a bunch of [name]Joan[/name] [name]Walsh[/name] Anglund dolls and I always called them by their official names. I had [name]Friend[/name], [name]Christmas[/name], Cowboy, and one whose name I forget although I still have all of them up in the loft in a box.
My sister had two hideous little smiling dolls which she named [name]Flossie[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name]. They had the ugliest little bottoms!
I have a little family of Japanese wooden dolls on my dresser. A mom, two sons, and a daughter. I need a daddy doll for them, but I haven’t found one that I love. I haven’t named them. I kind of like it that they don’t have names. They are now my favorite dolls. All my other dolls are put away in boxes. Mostly [name]Barbie[/name] and friends.

I named my first dolly [name]Baby[/name] [name]Anne[/name], and my later dolls were [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Grace[/name], and other classic names.

I had a stuffed monkey named [name]Marvin[/name], and a smaller one I named [name]Molly[/name].

I kept my Cabbage Patch Kids’ given names, which were: [name]Zebedee[/name] [name]Douglas[/name], [name]Lorenzo[/name] [name]Adrian[/name], [name]Toby[/name] [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Sheri[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Christine[/name] [name]Jan[/name], and [name]Gene[/name] [name]Mindy[/name] (although I did change it to [name]Jean[/name]).

My favorite stuffed dog that still sleep on my bed is Spot, he has one big brown spot on his back. My American Girl dolls kept their names, [name]Kirsten[/name] and [name]Samantha[/name]. My [name]Barbie[/name]'s names were always changing, except [name]Tommy[/name], he was always [name]Tommy[/name]. My first Bitty [name]Baby[/name] was the hispanic one and I named her [name]Annie[/name], but then I got the caucasian one and named her [name]Annie[/name], too. Then the first [name]Annie[/name] got her name changed to [name]Brooke[/name], and sometimes [name]Bridget[/name]. Then all my dolls traded off being [name]Brooke[/name], [name]Bridget[/name], and [name]Annie[/name]. I can’t recall all my Madame [name]Alexander[/name] dolls names, I collect them now and name them all, but they’re at my mom’s house. I know there is [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name], and [name]Merise[/name] [name]Belle[/name], because she’s eating a cherry parfait. My husband’s favorite stuffed animal was a squirrel named CiCi. My son has a blue seahorse named either [name]Algie[/name] or [name]Albie[/name], I haven’t quite decided, that’s the only toy of his I’ve somewhat named.

edit: oh! and I forgot about my build-a-bear with a bunch of patches named [name]Petunia[/name], and my build-a-bear bunny named Honeyblossom.

My very first dolls were [name]Sally[/name], [name]Chucky[/name], Ankaranatina, and for some reason Coyote (a girl!). I think my first Cabbage Patch ended up being a [name]Sally[/name] too ([name]Sally[/name] [name]Rochelle[/name]). I later added [name]Tess[/name] something and a little one named [name]Eve[/name] that I adored. Oh, and how could I forget Hair [name]Baby[/name]? Hair [name]Baby[/name] had, at one time, been a very nice doll but my older sister chopped off all of her hair. I loved her anyway :slight_smile:

I was not very creative but my 5 year old neice has had a doll since she was 3 that she named Kirnena (pronounced Kur-nee-nah anlthough I am guessing on the spelling because I don’t think its ever been written down!) She totally made up the name and it has stuck! We’re not sure how she came up with it but boy does she love Kirnena!

All of my dolls were (are I guess) named [name]Pedro[/name] . . . [name]Don[/name]'t ask me why :slight_smile:

Well yeah, I know that now. At the time, the only [name]Louis[/name] I knew was “Meet me in [name]Saint[/name] [name]Louis[/name],” so I was pretty convinced Mom was nuts.

Okay, just making sure. You have no idea the sheer number of people I’ve run into as an adult who don’t know that. Drives me bananas. Completely. :slight_smile:

No names seemed to stick on my dolls and animals, except:
[name]Cara[/name], a red-headed [name]Kelly[/name] doll
[name]Stuffy[/name], the teddy bear I got when I was four. He was as big as I was.
[name]Laura[/name], a dark-haired [name]Barbie[/name].

I had a stuffed monkey named Puckey and a 3 foot long teddy bear named [name]Herman[/name]:slight_smile:
My dolls had different names everytime I played with them.

What a fun topic!
My goodness I had zillions of stuffed animals and playthings and they all had their own unique name (we crazy name nerds start young, don’t we?). I think the only ones that ever changed were my Barbies.

Some that I can still remember:
[name]Baby[/name] [name]Nancy[/name] – first doll. No clue why [name]Nancy[/name].
[name]Buttercup[/name] Raindrop – a small yellow and white dog.
[name]Taja[/name] – a white tiger.
Raggedy [name]Ann[/name]-- obviously kept her official name
[name]Oakley[/name] – a maroon teddy. I got him when I was older though.
Various generically named dogs and cats such as Spot, Fluffy, etc.
hm…
Goodness… I’d probably have to go dig through my animal stash at my parent’s house to refresh my memory! I think I even made a list of them all when I was about 7 or 8! My hubby has pretty much all his childhood stuffed animals too, and I bet he remembers the names!

We have also had a blast naming our son’s toys!:

[name]Bear[/name]-[name]Bear[/name] – [name]Rowan[/name]'s first bear (this was never a conscious name choice, just kind of stuck!)
[name]Little[/name] [name]Bear[/name] – a little bear.
Shimmy – a stuffed seal with teething flippers.
[name]Mango[/name] – Under the [name]Nile[/name] monkey (great organic brand, by the by-- wonderful for teething!)
Popcorn – spotted puppy
[name]Rupert[/name] – frog
[name]Howie[/name] – a cow lovie blanket
[name]Maynard[/name] – a Mallard duck. This was actually named by our friends. :slight_smile:
Various sheep: [name]Violet[/name], [name]Lavendar[/name], [name]Lilac[/name], Marshmallow, [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Churchill[/name]

I think that’s about it for his “regulars.” I’m looking forward to when he’s old enough to start naming his own stuffed friends! :slight_smile:

I’m sure at some point, I made a special effort to name all of my stuffed animals, but I can’t remember most of them now. I know I did make a list of them also, on yellow paper, pretty sure that’s gone now.

[name]Katie[/name] - my teddy bear
[name]Betsy[/name] - my doll, likely she was a [name]Betsy[/name] Wetsy as I don’t remember naming her.
Raggedy [name]Ann[/name] - the small one was Raggedy [name]Ann[/name], who was tragically lost when I left her out in the rain and my mom said we couldn’t dry her out enough.
Raggedy [name]Amy[/name] - also Raggedy [name]Ann[/name] doll, but the larger one with the buttons, buckles and other closures on her outfit for motor coordination practice. Raggedy [name]Ann[/name] was already Raggedy [name]Ann[/name], so I named this one [name]Amy[/name] so they could be sisters.
[name]Grace[/name] - a cat that might have been partially real fur.
[name]Casey[/name] - a dog with an engineer hat and scarf
Poochy - a small dog that fit in my hand, looked like Droopy dog kinda, sad eyes
[name]Murphy[/name] - a puppet of a dog with long floppy ears
[name]Arlo[/name] - something was named [name]Arlo[/name], might have been a koala.
Sprite - a green frog I won from selling a lot of girl scout cookies

Lots of other bunnies and hippos and more dogs and tigers and yaks and stuff, I can’t recall, but they mostly had beautiful or fanciful girl names, or from some singer or Beatles reference. I had a whole night-time routine placing them in my bed with me so the smallest wouldn’t fall in between the wall and the bed, so they all had to have names.

Of all the weird names a Cabbage Patch kid might have come with, mine was [name]Genny[/name] [name]Agnes[/name]. Oh, [name]Jenny[/name] with a G, so captivatingly original and/or awful, [name]Xavier[/name]. Not even [name]Genevieve[/name], just [name]Genny[/name], like the beer. I was kind of old to be having dolls (new ones, still liked my old ones) by then, but for the mania, my mom insisted I wanted one because she bought one for my sister.

STUFFED ANIMALS:
[name]Charlie[/name]- gorilla I got in 3rd grade
Piston- cheetah or leopard, I can’t remember (I now realize how bad this name sounds)
[name]Bob[/name]- tiger my papa gave to me just days before he passed away, named after my papa
[name]Daren[/name]- he was a lion I got from the D.A.R.E. program
(I can’t remember the rest)

DOLLS:
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Nancy[/name]
[name]Sally[/name]
[name]Michelle[/name]
[name]Ginger[/name]

(All of these are names I chose myself)
Plush pig puppet: [name]Wilbur[/name]
Plush black bear puppet: [name]Yosemite[/name]
Plush parrot: [name]Arnold[/name]
My first baby doll: [name]Denise[/name]
My Spanish [name]Barbie[/name] doll: [name]Marina[/name]
Troll: [name]Ethel[/name] [name]Thelma[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Gloria[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]

Most of my toys didn’t have names that stuck for very long.
I had a rabbit I named [name]Tia[/name] (I loved sister sister at the time…)
I had a doll named [name]Kayla[/name] (or [name]Kaitlyn[/name]…I can’t remember)
but my favorite was Gumdrops…he was a purple mouse with gumdrops on his tummy and he smelled like them too…(I was really original :slight_smile: )

But a hilarious story…
My sister was about 4 I think…(which means I would have been 13) She received a 101 dalmations stuffed animal. (I think it might have been [name]Lucky[/name]) He had a bone-shaped tag hanging from his collar, and when you would pull on it his tag would wag. My mom and I were all excited for her and asked her what she was going to name him. She proudly exclaimed, “Imma name him Boner!” Needless to say, we talked her out of it…but not after quite a great chuckle.