Don't they see it?

I have an old acquaintance with three daughters: Maili, Haili, and [name]Ashli[/name]. It just makes me wonder, don’t people who use these spellings see how troublesome they are. These girls will forever be spelling their names and they will STILL be in a class where they share names with other girls, and instead of being Haili C, they will be Haili with an -li.
I just can’t get my head around it. These names sound exactly like the name they are supposed to sound like, but they look atrocious and will only give headaches to these girls when it comes to spelling.
I’m really sorry if I’m offending anyone in this; it is not at all my intent. I would just like to know if the people using these outlandishly spelled but very popular names KNOW that they are the epitome of trendy and the furthest from unique that you can get?

Is Maili soposed to be [name]Molly[/name]? All three names look like they got chopped off and are missing the last few letters. It really bothers me when a name ends in “i” for some reason.

It is fine with me if people want to name their kids trendy names, just spell it correctly!!! If you want a unique name then use a uniqure name.

I hear you! I think it’s really an honest attempt to give their kids a less common name, even though it doesn’t actually accomplish that at all.

Although I agree, sometimes different spellings of names are due either too personal preference (the actual spelling might look wrong to some people) or possibly culture.
I say culture because my name is [name]Justyna[/name] (JUS-[name]TINA[/name]). No one ever spells my name right, but the reason it’s spelled like that is because that’s how it’s spelled in Poland.
I know many others like [name]Krystyna[/name] ([name]Christina[/name])/Krystianna ([name]Christiana[/name]), for example.
Anyway, again, I totally agree with you that these spellings may not be the most convenient. I used to hate that my name was spelled differently, and it’s still a hassle to correct people all the time, but truthfully it gets peoples attention and has become a great conversation starter :slight_smile:

And they all end in the same letter, very rhyming.

I think Maili is supposed to sound like [name]Miley[/name]. And I agree, part of what bothers me about them is how incomplete they look. Plus, they just don’t look very pretty. Part of the appeal of a name is how it looks when written. The ending of each name -li especially the -ili ones just look squished and cluttered.

I know that it is definitely a preferential thing, and I am totally on board with naming your child a variant of a name in order to honor your heritage. I’m planning on using [name]Linnea[/name] myself, but I heard recently of a [name]Linnea[/name] spelled Leneah and it just made me a little sad.

In my opinion, misspelling a child’s name is one of the worst things you can do as a parent. They have to live with that name their entire life, spelling and respelling it for people. It gets to the point where they either give up and let people spell it wrong, or they wear a permanent name tag.

I’d think Maili was said like Maylee.

Leneah for [name]Linnea[/name]? It would take some contortion to say those the same.

I try hard not to think about things like this or I get really disturbed.

Hahaha! That’s exactly what I have to say to myself when I hear such ridiculous names. I just have to breathe and think to myself: “At least it’s not MY child’s name.” And luckily, at least my husband hates them as much as I do. I think I’ll be okay as long as he doesn’t suggest Destyneigh.