Dora

I’d like to hear people’s opinions on whether [name_f]Dora[/name_f] will ever be usable again or if the cartoon has pretty much ruined it for the foreseeable future. DH and I both like it for a future daughter, but I worry that the association is too strong. Thoughts?

She would likely get comments but it’s a fine name and there are worse associations to have. It fits right in with all the little Noras and Coras.
Could be short for [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Theodora[/name_f], Cleodora or [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] if you want her to have other nn options. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Dora[/name_f] is lovely. Cute, vintage and charming. I associate it with [name_m]David[/name_m] Copperfield by [name_m]Charles[/name_m] Dickens and I know the cartoon is a big link, I dont think it’s the worst

One of my best friends growing up was [name_f]Theodora[/name_f], but always went by [name_f]Dora[/name_f]. [name_f]Dora[/name_f] was more of a thing when we were younger so there was like one joke when first meeting and then pretty much never. It’s a super cute name.

I really like [name_f]Dora[/name_f], I think it’s seriously underappreciated and perhaps The [name_u]Explorer[/name_u] is the reason for that :thinking: [name_f]My[/name_f] children aren’t really into the show so I don’t make the connection.

To me, [name_f]Dora[/name_f] is sweet, simple, stylishly old-fashioned and sturdy enough to stand alone. I think it’s fine to use.

1 Like

I love it!! I’m having another girl and love [name_f]Dora[/name_f] but I won’t have it Because I have [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] already and think it’s too similar!

[name_f]Dora[/name_f] is lovely. I agree that’s its underestimated, and definitely should be used more.

If people are starting to use the name [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] (another name with a huge association) than I see no reason why [name_f]Dora[/name_f] cant be used as well.

I have an ancestor named Aldora and her nickname was [name_f]Dora[/name_f]. Could be another option if you’re looking for a longer name.

It’s ruined for me. It’s unfortunate, because I really want to like it. I guess there’s always [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Alora[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], etc.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’m pleasantly surprised that most seem to think it’s usable! DH and I have a few other names we both like but it’s nice that [name_f]Dora[/name_f] could still be in the running.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_f]Dora[/name_f] is cute. It is associated w/the cartoon, but I think that she’s losing stamina. The show was way more popular ten years ago. And she’s a little annoying, but it’s not like she’s evil & negative. I agree that it’s better as a nn either way. Lots of great options! [name_f]Adora[/name_f], [name_f]Eudora[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], & [name_f]Theodora[/name_f].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I’ve always thought [name_f]Dora[/name_f] is such a pretty name. I don’t think the cartoon association will be an issue as the show was far more popular 10-15 years ago than it is now, kids are watching new shows these days. Some people might comment on it, but it shouldn’t be a big deal. However, if you’re still not sure, you can always use [name_f]Dora[/name_f] as a nickname for a longer name.

I love [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] and [name_f]Theodora[/name_f], but DH prefers more streamlined names, so not sure he would agree to either of those sadly.

That is a good point that I had wondered about too- the cartoon doesn’t seem nearly as popular now as it used to be. Maybe in another few years it will be even less of an issue. I can hope, anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

I had a friend called [name_f]Dora[/name_f] when I was younger & we were just the right age to have grown up watching the cartoon but it didn’t really cause any problems for her. We sometimes called her [name_f]Dora[/name_f] the [name_u]Explorer[/name_u] as a nickname which she actually liked, and now when I hear the name [name_f]Dora[/name_f] she is my first association with it & then I remember the cartoon second. I think it’s a really lovely name and definitely one I would put on my list!

I think it might need a few more years for the association to wear off

In my opinion, [name_f]Dora[/name_f] is definitely usable either as a nickname or a stand alone name! It’s sweet, fun and energetic. I think about the cartoon, but I don’t believe [name_f]Dora[/name_f] The [name_u]Explorer[/name_u] is a bad association at all. I know a woman named [name_f]Dora[/name_f], and the name suits her well.
Many people share their names with cartoons: [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] (The Witch), [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] (The Pooh), [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] (& Ferb), [name_u]Mickey[/name_u] (Mouse), [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] ([name_u]Robin[/name_u]), [name_f]Olive[/name_f] (Popeye), [name_m]Tom[/name_m] & [name_u]Jerry[/name_u], [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m], [name_f]Betty[/name_f] (Boop), [name_m]Woody[/name_m] ([name_m]Toy[/name_m] [name_u]Story[/name_u]), [name_u]Kim[/name_u] (Possible), [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] ([name_m]Brown[/name_m]), [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] ('s [name_m]Web[/name_m]) [name_u]Chase[/name_u]/[name_m]Marshall[/name_m]/[name_u]Ryder[/name_u]/[name_u]Skye[/name_u] (Paw Patrol), [name_m]Fred[/name_m] (Flintstone), [name_m]Alvin[/name_m] (Chipmunks), [name_m]Homer[/name_m] ([name_m]Simpson[/name_m]), [name_m]Donald[/name_m] (Duck) & [name_f]Daisy[/name_f],…