Dorothy vs. Delia?

We have narrowed down our choices to 2 names: (1) [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Ann[/name] (nn “[name]Dottie[/name]”) or (2) [name]Delia[/name] (mn [name]June[/name], [name]Brooke[/name], or [name]Margot[/name]). [name]Both[/name] have family significance, but we are leaning toward [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Ann[/name], but are worried that it may sound a bit too old old-ladyish.

We are running out of time and welcome your thoughts!!

Myself, I’d go with [name]Delia[/name] and the middle name combinations you picked with it are lovely, I particularly like [name]Delia[/name] [name]June[/name] and [name]Delia[/name] [name]Margot[/name].

If you are going to use [name]Dorothy[/name] as a first name, I’d use a different middle name than [name]Ann[/name].

I absolutely love [name]Delia[/name]. There’s a super strong female character in my favorite book series named [name]Delly[/name] so it reminds me of her, but besides that, [name]Delia[/name] just sounds fresher and very pretty. I’d go with [name]Delia[/name] [name]Margot[/name].

i prefer delia out of the two options - def trends a bit younger.

[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Ann[/name] is my mother’s name, and she is not an old lady (she’s in her early 50’s) but she’s always said she has an old lady name. I, however, think that [name]Dorothy[/name] is ready for a comeback and [name]Ann[/name] is an awesome classic name. [name]Delia[/name] [name]June[/name] is adorable as well :slight_smile:

I like them both. A character in my current novel is named [name]Delia[/name], though it’s short for [name]Ardelia[/name].

I love [name]Dorothy[/name], it is ready for a comeback and you are ahead of the curve. I would have used it with the nickname [name]Dorrie[/name] (or [name]Dory[/name]) for our daughter but it is my mom’s name and it is not our cultural tradition to name children after living relatives. [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Ann[/name] is cute!

[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Ann[/name] is sweet. [name]Dottie[/name] is very old timey, but it would be very unique today. I also love nn [name]Doro[/name].

I dont like [name]Delia[/name] nearly as much, maybe because it reminds me of the clothing store and immediately makes me feel 13 years old.

[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Ann[/name] wins for me, I find it more stylish than [name]Delia[/name] (although I do like [name]Delia[/name]).

I would go with [name]Delia[/name], personally. I think it’s beautiful, and agree that [name]Dorothy[/name] sounds a bit old lady for a child.

I like [name]Dorothy[/name] more than [name]Delia[/name]. If you are worried that [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Ann[/name] sounds too old, maybe another MN would make is sound fresher. [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]June[/name] and [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Margot[/name] are also nice.

I vote for either [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Ann[/name] or [name]Delia[/name] [name]June[/name]. [name]Dorothy[/name] does seem a little “old lady” but all it takes is one sweet little girl to change that! If it’s a really special name, I’d say go for it. If you are focusing more on the sound of it, I do like [name]Delia[/name]. It’s very spunky especially paired with [name]June[/name]. I’d probably use this one.

[name]Delia[/name]. Hands down. [name]Delia[/name] [name]June[/name] is kind of perfect.

My mom’s name is [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Anna[/name] and she also feels it’s old lady, but a new generation will have a new name association. She goes by [name]Dottie[/name] but always wanted her nickname to be [name]Dori[/name]. [name]Dori[/name] [name]Ann[/name] is pretty cute to me!

[name]Delia[/name] for me. :slight_smile: I think [name]Delia[/name] [name]June[/name] would be gorgeous!

All the best!