Dorothy?

See the results of this poll: Is Dorothy ready to come back?

Respondents: 41 (This poll is closed)

• Yes: 26 (63%)
  • No: 15 (37%)

I love both [name]Dorothy[/name] and [name]Dorothea[/name]. I like [name]Doro[/name] and [name]Thea[/name], not [name]Dottie[/name]/[name]Dolly[/name].

I think it’s time for a [name]Dorothy[/name] revival, most definitely. She has such a sweet, simple feel that I adore. [name]Love[/name] the associations with the [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] and the [name]Golden[/name] Girls too. I’m not really a nickname person but I prefer [name]Dottie[/name] over [name]Dolly[/name].

Thanks everyone. It is usually said with 2 or 3 syllables? I feel like I can think of examples of both.

I love this name! The [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] is probably my favorite movies. [name]Dorothy[/name] is such a little heroine! I pronounce it two syllable “Dor-thee”. And she’s a [name]Doctor[/name] Who character too ([name]Ace[/name]!). I like [name]Dot[/name] and [name]Dory[/name].

If I had a qualm with this name, it’s that it’s a big family name. Which should be a GOOD reason to use it. I have two aunts by the name and I don’t want to make people think that I would name my child after anyone. They should be their own person!

I vote yes…I would love to see this name on a little girl!

I vote no. I think it would be hard for a little [name]Dorothy[/name] in a sea of [name]Ella[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], and Isabellas. Not that those names are my style, but I would choose them over [name]Dorothy[/name].

That’s sort of the point. Not very long ago those were all decrepit old lady names as well.

What would you pair [name]Dorothy[/name] with? I think [name]Gail[/name] sounds great, but that’s just a bit cruel. :slight_smile:

[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Nicole[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Cassandra/name

One of my closest friends just named her daughter, [name]Dorothy[/name], and everyone had something negative to say about it. There are some classic names that should make a comeback and some that should die off, I think [name]Dorothy[/name] should die off. I do like the nickname, [name]Thea[/name], but am not a fan of [name]Dori[/name], [name]Dot[/name], or [name]Dottie[/name]. I just don’t think any precious little girl is going to like being a [name]Dorothy[/name]. [name]Just[/name] my opinion though!! Now off to see if we can call my friend’s daughter, [name]Thea[/name]!

I really don’t like [name]Dorothy[/name], at all. I also think there is nothing cute about dottie - what a dud nn to get stuck with.

There is a person I am acquainted with that wanted to name her daughter [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Gail[/name] and when she asked for opinions in an online forum, I was shocked to see that everyone thought it would be perfectly fine. Her own middle name was [name]Gail[/name] and she wanted to pass it along?

Thankfully she had a boy. I think [name]Dorothy[/name] definitely has possibility–just not [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Gail[/name].

I went to college with a [name]Dorothy[/name]. She was just [name]Dorothy[/name], not [name]Dottie[/name] or [name]Dot[/name]. I think it worked for her, so it’s not hard for me to picture [name]Dorothy[/name] on a 20-something year old. I don’t think I’d use it myself, but I like [name]Dot[/name] as a nickname.

I really like it. I associate it with the [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name], the [name]Golden[/name] Girls, and [name]Elmo[/name]'s fish on [name]Sesame[/name] [name]Street[/name], none of which are bad associations. I like [name]Dot[/name] as a nickname. I’d love to meet a little [name]Dorothy[/name]. I think I usually say it with 2 syllables, but I try to say it with 3 b/c I think that sounds better.

I really want to like [name]Dorothy[/name], but I always picture my great-aunt [name]Dot[/name] when I hear the name. I would pair it with a more popular and young-sounding middle name, such as [name]Claire[/name] or [name]Nicole[/name].

[name]Dory[/name] is cute and natural as a nickname - I would shy away from [name]Dot[/name] or [name]Dottie[/name], especially since there’s no “t” sound in the name!