Dottie

Can [name]Dot[/name]/[name]Dottie[/name] be a stand alone girls name? Or can it be short for a name other then [name]Dorothy[/name]? I like [name]Dorothy[/name], but don’t love her. I adore [name]Dottie[/name]!

[name]Dorothea[/name] is more appealing to me than [name]Dorothy[/name], not sure why. I do wonder if [name]Isadora[/name] could work.

[name]Dot[/name]/[name]Dottie[/name] is cute as a nickname, but I don’t think it can or should stand alone as a full name. I think it’s a cute family nickname, but should have a full name that a child can use. [name]Dakota[/name], [name]Danielle[/name], [name]Delaney[/name], [name]Delia[/name], [name]Delilah[/name], [name]Dominique[/name]?

I personally don’t thank it can. But thinking that I’m being hypocritical as I adore [name]Lottie[/name] as a stand alone name…so I think if you really love [name]Dot[/name]/[name]Dottie[/name], use it. It’s your baby and you love the name, so I see no problem. Also, nickname names are meant to be coming back in fashion soon. :slight_smile:

I can’t really see [name]Dottie[/name] as a standalone name, or really [name]Dot[/name], either, as a FN, but I can see [name]Dot[/name] as a cool nouveau-ish MN for a longer, frillier girls’ name (like [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Dot[/name] or [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Dot[/name]…). What about [name]Theodora[/name], nn [name]Dot[/name]? It’s kind of mixed up but all the letters are there…

I just can’t imagine a 30yr old business woman called [name]Dottie[/name] being taken at all seriously… I think it’s one of those nicknames that would work for any name beginning with D or any name containing the short “doh” sound.

I cant see it as stand alone and personally I wouldnt be very happy if my parents gave me that as a name because I cant imagine any other grown up choices besides [name]Dot[/name] to choose from and [name]Dot[/name] isnt so grown up either.

I know a little [name]Dottie[/name] who is about 4. I think it’s cute, but I always thought it would be better if her full name was [name]Dorothy[/name].

I know a [name]Dorothy[/name] in her fifties who goes by [name]Dottie[/name], always has. I think [name]Dot[/name] makes for a neat name or even better nickname.

This may be a far off suggestion but [name]Odette[/name] NN [name]Dottie[/name].

I think it could stand alone just like [name]Lottie[/name], [name]Essie[/name] and other vintage nns, if you are really unsure why not just give her a full middle name which she can go by in work ect. I do love [name]Dorothy[/name] tho.

My Aunt is called [name]Dottie[/name], it’s a great name!

Honestly, I do not see the appeal of [name]Dorothy[/name] or [name]Dottie[/name]. I know most berries adore it, but I think it is awful. With all the wonderful feminine names available, why saddle your little baby with this?

I love [name]Dottie[/name] too, but like you I don’t [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Dorothy[/name] (granted, it’s a pretty name, but just not a favourite).

I think it could work as a stand alone name. In the UK, names like [name]Evie[/name], [name]Millie[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Molly[/name], [name]Katie[/name], [name]Edie[/name], [name]Kitty[/name], [name]Lottie[/name], [name]Tilly[/name] etc. are used all the time as stand alone names, so she’d barely stand out here! I can see why some people would think it’s too ‘nickname-y’ though.

My mom’s name is [name]Dorothy[/name] and everyone always called her “[name]Dot[/name]/[name]Dottie[/name]” or “Doth” when she was a young girl. She always hated [name]Dot[/name] and [name]Dorothy[/name], they were seen as “old-lady names” when she was young (the 70s and 80s). Now she goes by [name]Dory[/name]. I personally think [name]Dot[/name] is a cute nickname for a little girl, but don’t know if it can stand on its own. Like the previous posters, I can’t imagine a professional woman being called [name]Dottie[/name]. I think if you use one of the longer versions so she has a fall-back option, then it could work.
I like [name]Dorothea[/name], [name]Theodora[/name], or any variation could work.