Double Initials

Hello Berries,

I wanted to ask your opinions on double initials, like [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] [name_f]Sara[/name_f], [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], etc.

The name I’m considering is [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]…

Personally, I am not a fan… I can’t really say why. It just always looks odd to me, and kind gets on my nerves. To me, it somehow makes the name clunky and lack flow.
I do think though that it is entirely a matter of personal choice. There’s nothing fundamentally wrong with doing it.

I really like alliteration when it’s done right. I think [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is ok. I usually prefer names that are totally different and don’t look similar at all. A few examples: [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], [name_f]Calista[/name_f] [name_f]Celestine[/name_f], [name_f]Evelina[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] just to name a few I’ve considered. I think I’d prefer it the other way around [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. Something like [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]/[name_f]Fay[/name_f] I’d like even more.

I always found it super cool when a first name and a last name began with the same letter because it sounded so much more poetic or rhyme-y. I don’t know what made me change my mind but now I’m neutral on the subject. A name with double initials can work if the names go well together.

I agree with gildedfairyx and like the alliteration when they are the right names. I like how they can sometimes just flow off the tongue.

It completely depends on the two name. [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is adorable.

I don’t think it’s bad! I wouldn’t recommend doing it if your last name also ends in the same letter (or if it’s a K… don’t want KKK probably). [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] [name_f]Sara[/name_f] isn’t my favorite, but all of the other ones are cute! [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is sweet :slight_smile:

Assuming the names work well together, I’m actually a big fan. I think it tends to work better when the names offer differing sounds despite starting with the same letter. For example, we’ve considered [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] [name_f]Greer[/name_f] and thought it worked because of the hard vs. soft G sounds.

One of the reasons we really like it is the potential symmetry of the monogram. So in our case, [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] [name_f]Greer[/name_f]'s monogram would in theory be GRG. The symmetry makes my somewhat OCD heart quite happy.

Thanks for your weigh ins!

I think it really depends on the names. Two S starting, A ending names (like [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] [name_f]Sara[/name_f]) don’t work very well, but others are okay. For example, double P initials could have one name pronounced like “F” (Ph…) and one pronounced like a “P” ([name_u]Penny[/name_u] [name_f]Phillipa[/name_f]). Syllable count, pronunciation, and name start/end really determine how much is too much with alliteration. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is quite cute!

I agree that it totally depends! But I will say that I think [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] might flow a bit better/more intuitively than [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f].

I’m not opposed at all! :slight_smile: I’m quite picky on it, but I do like it when it works (or, at least, works in my mind. haha). I’m not sure about [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], but it does sound nice. I like [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] more.

I’m currently considering [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Lilac[/name_f], so obviously I don’t mind it. :wink: But it seems to be quite common in my family–we have an “R” surname, and out of my immediate family, we have or have had a [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] R____, two [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] R____s, a [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] R_____, and a [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] R____. The only ones left out are my mom and me. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I think double initials sound really good, as long as they’re paired well, as others have pointed out. I agree with laugre that [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] would flow slightly better, but [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is lovely too!

I like double initials.

I agree with others that it depends on the names and letter, i really like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and the suggestions of [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f].