Double name or not?

We are trying to decide if we should do a double name. We live in a big city, and don’t want to be too different, but I have always loved the idea of a DN.

We love the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], but think that it will inevitably get shortened or be too much for a kid. Another name we like is [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Kendall[/name_u]. Thoughts?

I’m a Southern lady so double first names are my jam. [name_u]Love[/name_u], love, love them. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is gorgeous. While I don’t really care for [name_u]Kendall[/name_u], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Kendall[/name_u] does make a very pretty double first name.

I’m not well acquainted with the world of double naming, but [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] are classic and beautiful names and they definitely don’t sound ‘too much’ together. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is lovely. Personally I don’t like [name_u]Kendall[/name_u], but I don’t think there is anything wrong with double naming generally :slight_smile:

I really like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]! While I’m not a huge double name fan, I recently fell absolutely in love with [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Maris[/name_f], which is the latin name for the north star (star of the sea). We can’t use it because the last name will also be a hyphen, but it’s so pretty!!!

I like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], but not so keen on [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Kendall[/name_u]. They just don’t go together well imo: completely different styles and feels, plus they have the same number and stress of syllables so it just sounds too choppy to my ear. I don’t think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is too much for a kid, but I do think it’s almost certain to get shortened - any double name would though imo. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] has more cute nn options than [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Kendall[/name_u], eg. [name_f]Maelle[/name_f] (Mary [name_f]El[/name_f]izabeth), [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] (Mary Elizabeth).

Without a hyphen I just don’t get the double name thing. Seems it would be confusing.

Double names, in my opinion, just sound like you are always angry with your kid. Maybe it’s because when I grew up I always knew I was in trouble when my parents said my first and a middle name together, which a double name basically sounds like a first and middle name.

Of the 2, I would have to pick [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], because [name_u]Kendall[/name_u] is just like a different genre/style. It doesn’t match properly. However, I think her name will end up being shortened no matter what, especially once she gets older. It’s a mouthful. I knew a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] who went by MK or Mer, very rarely did anyone use her full name in our group of friends.

If you go with a double name I definetly think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is the way to go. I agree with previous comment that [name_u]Kendall[/name_u] just doesn’t seem to match the double name feel quite well.

I love Double names! We named our daughter [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]-Owl.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Kendall[/name_u] is a great name!
Very pretty and timeless yet modern and warm

I don’t see the point of double naming. I think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a mouthful that will definitely get shortened, and while I love [name_u]Kendall[/name_u], I don’t think it goes well with [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

I love double and hyphenated names! Where I’m from, going by a double name or your first and middle is the norm.

While I like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], it reminds me of the girl from [name_m]Clifford[/name_m] the Big [name_u]Red[/name_u] Dog. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Kendall[/name_u] sounds like a first and last name, or a sisters (as in Nu) name.

I also liked [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] (I have a cousin with this name).

Some others are:
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]/[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Selene[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]/[name_f]Elinor[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f]/[name_f]Janette[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Melody[/name_f] (too much m and y?)
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Camille[/name_f]/[name_f]Camilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]/[name_f]Alexus[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]/[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Lynnette[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Michaela[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]/[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Viola[/name_f]/[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] (too biblical?)
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Janelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Celia[/name_f]/[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]/[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]/[name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Rachel[/name_f]

I really enjoy double names. It is very popular and southern at the university I attend. I also find [name_f]Mary[/name_f] to be a bit plain on its own, but I love it when it’s used in double names. Most double names I’ve met have the first name as their legal first name, and the second name as their legal middle name and just use them together at the same time.

Double names I’ve met before:
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] “[name_f]Gracie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] “MK”
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] “MB”
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]
[name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]

Here’s some ideas from ones I like:
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a perfect, classic combination. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] it. Not a fan of [name_u]Kendall[/name_u].

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is really lovely. I knew a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] who went by both names and it never seemed like a problem for anyone. In fact it distinguished her in a good way. I think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] sounds like the name of a truly wonderful little girl! Go for it! :slight_smile:

(On the subject of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Kendall[/name_u], it doesn’t strike me as a double name, but as a first and middle, I think because the styles don’t match.)

I think double names are fine. You can’t really control how everyone pronounces it, and some will inevitably only use [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but if you call her by both around others it will catch on. :slight_smile: