Double thinking stuff

So due date is approaching in a couple months !! First two boys are Joel and Jonah. I think we are set on Simon for the third, but now questioning it. My maiden name is Rupert and the name is now gone since my parents didn’t have a boy.

I’m analytical and the boys’ names have meaning. The boys names are both biblical and Hebrew with great meanings. Joel—Yahweh is God. Jonah—means dove which symbolizes peace.

Simon is biblical/Hebrew and means listener or God listens.
Rupert isn’t biblical and is a German variant of Robert which means bright fame.

So, do we forgo using a biblical first name and go with Rupert? Or stay with Simon?

Eli will be the middle name. Edit—a family name. If we go with Rupert we could give him nickname R.E like Ari…or is that a stretch??

Any opinions or thoughts welcome. Thank you!

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] sounds great as a first or a middle. I think its a nice family connection but only if you like it too.

Both [name_m]Simon[/name_m] & [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] are handsome, great names. Also, I think both work perfectly with older brothers’ names. When it comes down to it, I would recommend choosing whichever name you love the most. Don’t feel the pressure to choose one because it’s matches the Biblical theme with brothers and don’t choose the other because you feel the pressure of it being a family name. [name_u]Truly[/name_u], choose the one you love.
With that said, if you do end up choosing [name_m]Simon[/name_m], I do recommend [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] as the middle name. That is, unless [name_u]Eli[/name_u] is also a family name. You’ll never regret using your maiden name, whether that’s in the first or middle name spot.

I don’t understand?

@skylerros my parents had three daughters so the [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] name wasn’t passed on. We chose to take our husband’s last names.

2 Likes

OOOOoooooh

Are you saying [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] could be used as a middle?

seconding [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] if that is an option.

Also think that [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] would be great as first name (not a fan of R.E = [name_u]Ari[/name_u] though, sorry)

You may like [name_u]Robin[/name_u] which shares its roots as a name with [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] (Robert) but also has the wonderful meanings associated with the robin bird… hope and renewal, as well as having the avian connection with [name_u]Jonah[/name_u].

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Eli[/name_u] is cute.

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] gets my vote ! I feel like it is so unexpected! I love the potential nicknames of [name_u]Rue[/name_u], Rupe , Perty

I do love [name_m]Simon[/name_m] though

Yes, maybe use both [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] and [name_u]Eli[/name_u] if we go with [name_m]Simon[/name_m].

2 Likes

I think [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] is nice! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the name [name_m]Simon[/name_m]

I agree with others that you should go with what you love more than anything. That being said, I like [name_m]Simon[/name_m]. [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] is really special though and I can see why you want to use it! I like the suggestion of [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]. [name_u]Eli[/name_u] seems equally important to you, but I don’t think [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_u]Eli[/name_u] flows well (lots of i/e sounds).

There’s also the possibility of two middles - what do you think of [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_u]Eli[/name_u]? This isn’t usually my style but the combo works well and [name_u]Eli[/name_u] is short and is a great second middle. This is my top choice!

1 Like

Ooh, this is tricky! [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] are both great, but I definitely prefer [name_m]Simon[/name_m] with your older boys’ names. Then again, I love the meaning [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] has for you. I’m not usually a big fan of two middles, but in this particular case, I kind of want to vote for [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_u]Eli[/name_u]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] is [name_u]Eli[/name_u] an option as the first name? It’s a Biblical name with a good meaning, and I think it fits perfectly with your boys’ names! [name_u]Eli[/name_u] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] would be a great combo. I do love [name_m]Simon[/name_m] though, so I’m hesitant to vote for any option that doesn’t include it. But I think overall my favorite possibilities for you are either using double middles, or [name_u]Eli[/name_u] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]!

Although Im not a fan of double barreled MNs (or really even MNs at all), I make an exception in this exact case.

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_u]Eli[/name_u] [LN] is a great way to include the two family names of [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] and Eli… And I actually think it flows together rather well!

I agree with above posters that caling the kid [name_u]Ari[/name_u] because his two first initials are R.E. is a bit of a stretch. If you want a name that gives cute NN options, use [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] in the FN slot.

1 Like

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] are both nice, though [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] is my personal preference. Would [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_u]Eli[/name_u] be an option, so both honours could be used?

1 Like

Thank you all for responding!

Yes, [name_u]Eli[/name_u] is my husbands name. For our first two we used my dad’s name and my FIL’s name
as middle names.

@catieQ and @LynnG… you seem to be reading my mind…before I wrote this post we were leaning towards 2 middle names. And after some discussion with my husband last evening, he’s not too keen on [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] as the fn. I could potentially get my way with [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] as a fn lol, but I don’t want to force it…and I’ve always loved [name_m]Simon[/name_m].

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_u]Eli[/name_u] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] (LN) or
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_u]Eli[/name_u] (LN)

3 Likes

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_u]Eli[/name_u] is so handsome and has a nice ring to it! Also Congratulations!

1 Like

Love this, it’s a great compromise! I like Rupert but don’t think it goes well with your sons’ names. It works well in the middle and Simon Rupert Eli is adorable!

You think sounds/flows better than [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_u]Eli[/name_u] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]?

I think so! The long ‘i’ sounds in [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_u]Eli[/name_u] sound best when [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] is in between.