Douglas?

The Nameberry description calls it midcentury or old man and not in a cool way, but this name is growing on me because it’s Scottish, classic and sounds strong to me.

What are your thoughts on this name?

I posted a [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]? thread yesterday or the day before, and pretty much also got no responses. I really like it alot. I think [name_m]Doug[/name_m] sounds a little dated, but [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] sounds so handsome and strong, and I love the meaning.

Yeah I’m really digging this name. I agree with you on [name_m]Doug[/name_m], though it’s funny - I like the sound of it “dug”. It feels like it fits in with the short nicknames that are popular right now like [name_m]Huck[/name_m], [name_m]Nate[/name_m], [name_u]Finn[/name_u], etc. It makes me think of [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] firs so it reminds me of [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and I think it sounds very regal in the long form. I’m glad I’m not the only one that likes it! It seems like a name that might actually gain some steam as time goes on and the dated-ness wears off.

It feels to me slightly distant from everything else that’s popular, but I like [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] a lot :slight_smile:

[name_u]Douglas[/name_u] is distinguished, but [name_m]Doug[/name_m] sounds like someone’s grandpa.

I can’t think about [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] without shortening it to [name_m]Doug[/name_m] and thinking of the Nickelodeon show of the same name. I just picture a shy kid in a sweater vest with a big nose and a crush on [name_f]Patty[/name_f] Mayonnaise.

Oddly, I’ve only known people with [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] for a last name and none with it for a first name.

It’s my dads name… and about 3 or 4 of my friends dad’s names… All in their 60’s so to me it is MIDCENTURY but also I can’t see it on a kid…

Nothing wrong with it… no mean nicknames come to mind right away or antyhing just not my style!

I know two Douglases around eighteen - twenty, so it’s not at all outdated [name_f]IMO[/name_f]! One is mostly called [name_m]Dougie[/name_m] or [name_m]Doug[/name_m], and the other Digger or Digs (don’t really know where that came from, but I actually really like it!)

I’ve liked the name [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] for a while now since I was recently doing some research on [name_f]Scotland[/name_f]. I also like Digory. I think it would be a great name for a litle boy.

My cousin’s name is [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], so I’ve never thought of it as being an “old man name”. I think it’s a fine name. And everyone loved the cartoon [name_m]Doug[/name_m], right? I really like [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] better than the nickname [name_m]Doug[/name_m], though…unless you’re naming a dog. I think [name_m]Doug[/name_m] would be a funny name for a dog, since it sounds like “dug”.

[name_u]Douglas[/name_u] sounds very dated to me. Any older men I know end up just being called [name_m]Doug[/name_m]. If you don’t like [name_m]Doug[/name_m] I would reconsider.

I say if you like it use it! I know a [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] who is in his twenties and he is one of my favorite people!