Down to 2 names. (And my mom hates one of them!) Help!

We are down to two names:

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] or
[name_f]Acadia[/name_f]

Any thoughts? My mom told me this weekend she hates the name [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], so now I am even more lost than before. Her opinion really matters. We absolutely love both names. Please give honest opinions!!!

Personally, I like [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] better. It’s unique without being over the top. My only concern is that it would be shortened to “[name_f]Cady[/name_f],” which I think it actually really cute, but you might not like if you’re going for unique because of its similarity to [name_f]Katie[/name_f].

I have never been able to get behind “[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]” because my early memories include my grandmother using witch hazel for everything from stomach flus to scraped knees, so that’s automatically where my mind goes.

However, I find that [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is very popular here, and I bet most people don’t even know what witch hazel is :slight_smile: If you like [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] better, then I am sure that your mom would grow to love it if it’s attached to her granddaughter. If you really like both names equally, then I’d go with [name_f]Acadia[/name_f].

Personally, I prefer [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. And I would go with something, even if my mom hated it (she’s important to me, and one of my best friends ever, but she’s made it clear she doesn’t want her opinion changing what I name my future babies. I won’t even discuss my names with family when I’m actually expecting or am going to adopt). I know she (and the majority of my family, honestly) aren’t fans of my top choice for either gender. My brother finds [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] too close to [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]/[name_f]Bella[/name_f] Swan (despite the number of years that it’s been since Twilight blew over?!), and my mom doesn’t like the nn [name_f]Bella[/name_f] (which I love). I used to attend a very small church school for elementary school, and the principal started a gymnastics troupe in our school that would perform for neighboring schools, and he was sort of this “clown” that sort of egged everybody on and was the whole comedy of the routine. His name–you guessed it!–was “[name_f]Bella[/name_f] the Clown” and now my mom is sure that [name_f]Bella[/name_f] is a boys’ name. hahaha. And my sisters are begging me never to use [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] because it reminds them of this guy they (and I!) went to high school with. He was a nice guy, a really nice guy, actually, but they never liked him. I’m not sure why. Oh, well. I still would use them, if I had the chance. [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]'s beautiful, and if you use it, your mom will grow to like it because she likes your daughter. I think [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] or [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] would be lovely, if you want to use both. Maybe she’d be less opposed if you used [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], but just not up front? Or would you want to save [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] for a second daughter?

Personally, I prefer [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] is The name of an off-brad of water. [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is just so pretty and once she sees that baby, she won’t care about the name. Pick whichever one you really feel is right. Good luck!

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is prettier and more feminie sounding than [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] in my opinion! However, [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] is unique and not as common! I love A names too!!

i like them both but [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] has been becoming rather popular lately, if that matters to you. my mother was super vocal the first time around, so i kind of didn’t ask for her opinion this time. she’ll know once it’s final and by then she can’t “hate it” because… it’s final. i know you said her opinion is important, but honestly once she holds that little girl the first time it won’t really matter. she’ll love her no matter what.

and i love both names :slight_smile:

I personally prefer [name_f]Acadia[/name_f]. I love how it sounds, I love how it looks, it’s so bright and charming and rolls off my tongue so nicely. It’s unusual but familiar (to me), and it sounds like a song.
It’s just gorgeous, and I can see [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] as a bright-eyed little girl with rosy cheeks and hair that sticks up, or [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] the adventurous kid who reads books in trees, or [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] the elegant young lady with kindness and passion, or [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] the mother with kids of her own, or [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] the wise old gran with a twinkle in her eye.

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]'s growing on me. Slowly. I do love how [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] sounds.

I personally prefer [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] too, I think. I love [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] as well, but in all honesty I just find [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] prettier and more interesting. But if [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is absolutely the one for you, go for it! I wouldn’t worry too much about your mom - it’s your child, not hers, and it’s truthfully none of her business. [name_m]Both[/name_m] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] are lovely choices, and I’d attempt to ignore her objections as much as possible.

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] sounds better than [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] to me, but I think they work nicely together, so you don’t have to get either one up.

Anyways, whichever you choose, like I said, they’re both very pretty. So you’re good either way.

I prefer [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] - to me it feels like it has more substance, and a beautiful classy sound. I’ve never met someone named [name_f]Acadia[/name_f], and that is always special.
But at the end of the day, they are both pretty and there is a good chance your mum will grow to love either as your daughter makes the name her own.

I much prefer [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. It’s a lovely name. [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] is really “meh” to me. I don’t like it, and it kind of makes me think “arcade.” I like [name_f]Acacia[/name_f] more than [name_f]Acadia[/name_f].

I’m w/your mom on [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]…she’s a tv maid. Perhaps [name_f]Alize[/name_f] ([name_m]Ah[/name_m]-[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-Zay)? It’s a [name_m]French[/name_m] name I love. Or Annaliza, [name_f]Calista[/name_f], [name_f]Calixta[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] or [name_f]Axelle[/name_f]?

I prefer [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] over [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] (though neither is really my style).
I just can’t get behind [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - I also find [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] equally difficult and I always figured it was because they both had two very recognizable meanings.

I prefer [name_f]Acadia[/name_f], but that might be because I know a little [name_f]Acadia[/name_f]. She is a spunky little four-year-old who loves to climb up on laps, say things to make me laugh (she’s a talker, lol!) and not afraid to be different from the rest of the kids. [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is lovely, too. I am, in fact, considering using [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] as a MN (DH has hazel eyes, so I think it would be cool to sort-of-kind-of name our DD after him), but since I don’t know any little Hazels, I haven’t got as much a connection with [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] as I do [name_f]Acadia[/name_f].

When I was reviewing names with my mom I told her we liked the name “[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]” and calling him “[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]”. My mom told me everyone would think of [name_m]Ted[/name_m] Bundy (the serial killer). Yes, I did finally learn not to discuss names with my mom. I did end up using it for my 3rd child and no one has ever mentioned that as a connection. I do get a lot of [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m] comments. My moms favorite names were [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_m]David[/name_m] and [name_m]John[/name_m]. I realized we don’t have the same taste in names and she tends to be very vocal and negative if she doesn’t agree with something. Pretty sure she didn’t ask her mom or in-laws when naming me. My mom has not liked any of our names but loves her grandkids. The most important thing is that you and the father love the name. I think you are smart to ask for feedback from other Berries.

I lean towards [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. I know everyone says it’s super popular but I’ve yet to know anyone who has named their daughter [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] (and I live in a hipster naming area and know lots of families). I’m not saying you’ll never meet one but there won’t be four in the same class. I like [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] but worry about the nickname of “[name_f]Cady[/name_f].” I totally agree with a previous poster that it will get confused with all the [name_f]Katie[/name_f]'s out there.

Good luck and congrats!

I prefer [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and have not met any little Hazels. Good luck and know your mom will love little [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] (or [name_f]Acadia[/name_f]) no matter her name. if she doesn’t love [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] now, in promise she will once it is her name :slight_smile:

I’ve never met a little girl with either of these names, and I have to say I prefer [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]! I really cannot imagine [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] on anyone but a small child… the name doesn’t age at all for me.

I love [name_f]Acadia[/name_f]! It is more original as well.

I prefer [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] makes me think of cicadas. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Azalea[/name_f]? has a bit of each in it.

[name_f]Acadia[/name_f] just makes me think of the vehicle…I prefer [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], hands down!

I love [name_f]Acadia[/name_f]! It’s not that common and really beautiful. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think she would accept [name_f]Acadia[/name_f] [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]?