Down to 4 names & open to others

[name_f]My[/name_f] partner and I are right on the cusp of this baby being born (seriously, she is 40w5d). We have kind of decided that we will just have to wait to meet this baby before we can decide a final name, but now I have spent so much time with the 4 that we have landed on that they feel stale. So, here I am, making an account and writing in an effort to feel better about it. I’ve heard great things about these forums, so thank you in advance to anyone willing to hear the full story and offer your insight…

[name_u]Luca[/name_u] - [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] - [name_f]Luna[/name_f] - [name_m]Marzo[/name_m]

We do not know the sex of the baby and we had initially aspired to select names that we would be happy to give whatever way it ended up. But not all of our names fit the bill… We would potentially give [name_f]Luna[/name_f] or [name_m]Marzo[/name_m] to either a boy or a girl, but [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] would only be for a boy and [name_u]Luca[/name_u] for a girl. And so begins some controversy.

[name_f]My[/name_f] family is very Italian and my mother has commented on how [name_u]Luca[/name_u] is not a gender-less name - she thinks it is counter productive to give a boy’s name to a girl. I kind of agree.

As for [name_m]Enzo[/name_m], I am fond of it because of the association with a cherished recently passed figure, [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] [name_f]Mari[/name_f]. But it’s short for [name_m]Vincenzo[/name_m]! As an etymology-curious person, I feel odd naming a child after “victory.” Hmm…

As you may be able to guess, those two names are my partners’ preferences. I have a penchant for the less-predictable and, of the many odd names that I have proposed, she has been amenable to [name_f]Luna[/name_f] or [name_m]Marzo[/name_m]. [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] or [name_u]Luca[/name_u] could work for me though.

Shall I share more? [name_u]Or[/name_u] are you already formulating some advice? I’m open to any thoughts and I’m happy to answer any questions. Thank you again!

1 Like

[name_m]Just[/name_m] one thing, I’d say keep [name_u]Luca[/name_u] for a boy, and if that’s not an option, maybe as a middle name or something. I think all your other names are lovely and would slightly prefer [name_f]Luna[/name_f] for a girl and [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] for a boy. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

2 Likes

I love [name_u]Luca[/name_u] for a boy or a girl. While it is masculine in Italian, [name_u]Luca[/name_u] has usage as a girl name in other languages so I would classify it as a unisex name. I personally find the argument about unisex names being “anti-feminist” (I assume this is what you mean by counterproductive) to be very surface level. Unless you are using the name for a misogynistic reason (such as, to give her a leg up on job applications or because you specifically think frilly, feminine names are weak), I think the practice is as neutral as using a traditionally feminine name for a girl or a masculine name for a boy. You simply like the name. There doesn’t have to be anything deeper about it. Feminism has much bigger problems than what people name their babies.

As far as I know, [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] can be short for anything ending in -enzo! I’ve actually always thought of it as being short for [name_m]Lorenzo[/name_m]. It seems like it could also be an Italian form of [name_m]Heinz[/name_m] or Anzo. So I wouldn’t worry about that one.

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] feels very feminine to me but I knew a boy growing up with the last name [name_f]Luna[/name_f] so I could totally see it for a boy middle. [name_m]Marzo[/name_m] feels very masculine but also reminds me of [name_f]Margo[/name_f] so it could definitely grow on me.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. If popularity would be an issue and you’re in the US, [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is extremely trendy right now and has become very popular over the last few years. I don’t think it will feel odd or unpredictable to you or your partner in a few years after meeting some of your little one’s classmates, whether that’s a good or bad thing.

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you sarcasticWaG and SparkleNinja18 - off to a great start with the informative responses. I think I’m walking away feeling very amenable to [name_u]Luca[/name_u] and [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] - less so to [name_f]Luna[/name_f] to [name_m]Marzo[/name_m]. [name_f]May[/name_f] I make a plug for some other name suggestions? Here’s where we are coming from:

We are obviously in search of gender fluid names with a Latin origin, but an Irish name that has a Latin feel to it would be a winner. We want to keep our distance from religious origins - in fact, names that refer to light, big trees, the ocean, or any body of water are winners. I know we only listed 2 syllable names, but I think we’re open to more. And there’s something about noticable consonants that has our attention - Z and C, maybe R and D too.

What do you all think?

1 Like

Congratulations!

Personally I’m not a massive fan of unisex names I do find it odd that lots of boys names are being given to girls yet this practice isn’t happening with boys ultimately I haven’t met any boys named [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] as of yet so until that actually happens I think there is an undercurrent of misogyny attached to this practice and I’m not on board. However before other people get offended there are some unisex names I like and naming is an individual experience so of course wouldn’t stop anyone naming their daughter [name_u]William[/name_u] but I wouldn’t personally. Therefore not a massive fan of [name_u]Luca[/name_u] for a girl and would scratch this one.

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] however is lovely she’s pretty, upbeat, feminine, universal and easily recognisable. She has gorgeous associations with the moon :crescent_moon: I would go with [name_f]Luna[/name_f] from your list.

Some other ideas…
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Selene[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Serena[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]

Moving onto the boys I think [name_m]Marzo[/name_m] is interesting and a fun choice for a baby boy born in [name_u]March[/name_u] (if you don’t go that overdue) he has nice spring imagery and feels upbeat. I also really like [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] which I think is a lovely tribute to your relative and feels very vogue. Honestly love [name_m]Enzo[/name_m]! I appreciate your comment regarding victory and etymology of the name however [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] can be a nickname for other names (Lorenzo for example) so I wouldn’t focus to heavily on that issue. I honestly really love [name_m]Enzo[/name_m].

Some other ideas…
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassius[/name_m]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_m]Dante[/name_m]
[name_u]Rex[/name_u]
[name_m]Calix[/name_m]

Good luck with it all :white_heart:

2 Likes

I’m not bothered by boys names on girls perosnally, and I don’t find it counter-productive. Luca has a history of being used on girls anyway. However, if you don’t feel fully comfortable with the notion, I’d look for something else. Lucia, Luna, Runa, Juno and Lola came to mind.

I don’t think victory is an odd thing to call a child. There are all kinds of victories in life, big and small, that will carry you through. That said, Enzo is also considered a nickname for Lorenzo, Fiorenzo etc. It might also come from the name Heinz which links to Henry which gives you a different meaning

1 Like

As others have said, lots of names are associated with victory (Victoria, [name_m]Victor[/name_m], etc) so I wouldn’t let you put that off it if you really liked it!

Are you specifically looking for a gender-neutral feel in the name you pick? [name_u]Or[/name_u] do you just want it to be usable for either gender? Bc I think [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] and [name_m]Marzo[/name_m] have more of a neutral feel while [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and [name_u]Luca[/name_u] have history of being used for both but don’t necessarily FEEL gender neutral if that makes sense. I think figuring that out might help!!

Either way, I’ve put some more suggestions you might like below as well!

[name_f]Luz[/name_f] (means light in Spanish)
[name_f]Mar[/name_f] (means the sea in Latin)
[name_u]Paz[/name_u]
[name_m]Oran[/name_m]
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_u]Taran[/name_u]
[name_u]Aster[/name_u]

2 Likes

Best wishes for your soon to be arrival and welcome to Nameberry!

I also am not a fan of established well-known boys names on girls as my test is to ask myself if I would like to wear a boys name, and I wouldn’t. I prefer that on paper, or otherwise, people know they are contacting a female, no surprises. From your list I really like [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f], but love the suggestions of [name_f]Runa[/name_f], which is less common and has a nice meaning, and also [name_f]Lucia[/name_f].

2 Likes

Congratulations on baby! I think you have great options. I am especially intrigued by Marzo! I’d love to see that used.
Enzo is lovely as well. The meaning victory isn’t a bad thing in my opinion. I think of it as, happiness, succeeding, reaching a good place in life.

which would give your possible presumed meanings of laurel or home/estate ruler.
I like Luca for a girl, and would echo what SparkleNinja18 said about it as well. I think Luca’s a lovely option.

A few more ideas for fun (maybe baby’s already here!

Avi
Bello
Bosco
Cano
Costa
Cruz
Falco
Fero
Merlo
Milan
Remi
Renzo
Rocco
Roma
Rossi
Silva
Vega
Zeno

2 Likes

You’re right, @columbiacharm , baby is here! She arrived at 10:13 last night and we are blissed out! [name_u]Happy[/name_u], healthy, well fed. I’m holding her while she sleeps while mom catches some Z’s next to us. I couldn’t be more grateful.

No name yet, though! So here I am :slight_smile: the responses in this thread have been phenomenal and your suggestions are totally on point for what we are looking for in a name. A big thank you to you all. We took a long walk discussing possibilities the other day, and - now that we have a sex - our conversations have continued today. Here’s where we have landed, largely inspired by you all:

• [name_u]Luca[/name_u] is our number one, with some hesitation because we wonder if she will be out of place if we move to Europe (a very real possiblity).
  • otherwise, we are looking at variations on [name_m]Enzo[/name_m]:
    • [name_f]Lorenza[/name_f], Enza, [name_u]Enzi[/name_u]?
      I just love the association with laurel… And the flexibility of a name like [name_f]Lorenza[/name_f]!

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Congratulations on baby girl! I hope all is well.

I can’t speak to [name_u]Luca[/name_u] in Europe, as I’m in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u]. For here (Canada) I think [name_u]Luca[/name_u] for a girl would be just fine, even awesome in fact.

[name_f]Lorenza[/name_f] is gorgeous, and offers so many nickname options and flexibility! You could even call her [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] as a nickname. One thing to consider with the Enz- names, if you ever have more children, would you prefer to use [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] on a boy if you should have one? [name_u]Or[/name_u] is it more important for you to use the name you love now, because there is a good possibility you may never have a son?

I think [name_u]Enzi[/name_u] and Enza are lovely and adorable as well. They feel very in line with the other names on your list (Marzo, [name_u]Luca[/name_u], Luna). I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with any of your options.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Awe, congrats! [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I like [name_u]Luca[/name_u] for either gender, and I think you should still go with it. And I’d steer away from -enzo names, just in case if you do have a boy in the future

1 Like

Congrats! I love [name_f]Luna[/name_f] or [name_f]Lorenza[/name_f] w/ nn Enza based on the names you like. Best of luck with your new little one!

Thank you everyone :slight_smile: I’m reading your messages out loud to my partner… Good stuff!

Here’s one more that feels very right but doesn’t appear to have many examples out in the world. What do we think of Renza? It might be our winner.

2 Likes

It’s not a name/variantion I’ve heard before, but it does appear to be a legitimate one

I think Renza is lovely, and if it’s feeling right that’s great! I’d say go for it.

1 Like

Congrats on your new little one! How exciting.

Renza is fabulous. I love that she could go by [name_u]Ren[/name_u] or Enza, two very distinct nicknames. It’s unique without being weird, feminine but not overtly girly.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this message :slight_smile: we feel similarly about it and it warms our hearts to have those feelings be validated on this forum (I’m learning that it’s truly an amazingly responsive, informed, and compassionate place on the internet!)

Renza Renza Renza - the more we say it, especially while looking at her open, curious eyes, or at her calm body while she sleeps or nurses - the more right it feels. Thank you everyone for helping us get here!

8 Likes

Congratulations on your sweet little girl! I love, love the name Renza for her.

1 Like

Renza is a perfect name. Enjoy your little one. :orange_heart::orange_heart:

1 Like