Downs syndrome risk

Me and my husband have two beautiful girls and are currently pregnant with our last child. We have been given a 1 in 52 chance of downs syndrome. We refused the amniocentesis due to the miscarriage risk and the fact that we would still keep the baby no matter what. I just wondered if there were any other mums or dads out there in the same boat as me. I’m nearly 22 weeks now, sometimes it worries me and other times I think it won’t be me.

Well, I’m not in that same situation, but my mother was, with me. While pregnant, she found out that I had a chance (not sure what the number was) of me being born with Down Syndrome. Like you, they decided to keep me regardless. I was born without it. The tests can be wrong and often are. My parents used that ‘waiting’ period to educate themselves with Down Syndrome and to talk with others who were raising or caring for children who had it.

I myself have worked with such children, and let me tell you, they are better than most people on this planet and there are tons of resources to enable them to live a relatively “normal” life. Talk about little rays of sunshine :slight_smile: they are so happy. I really hope the best for your family and yourself. Maybe you can find some websites about it? They often have parent support pages.

There is a blood test now called non invasive prenatal screening test- panorama.
It is (almost) as close to the amino without the risk of miscarriage to find out how accurate for risk of Down’s.

My friend had this test performed a few months ago as it was recommended by her OB because she wanted to avoid an amnio. She did have to pay for it, I believe $500 but in the end it relieved them of the uncertainty of not knowing.

I am in UK and the test you talk of is double the price over here so it’s not really an option. I’m over halfway anyway. I’m normally the sort of person that has to know things, don’t like unknown but that prce is too much to ask

I can imagine that you are very worried. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you are happy to have your baby no matter what, its obviously still going to be on your mind.
[name_m]Just[/name_m] put it this way. You could have fifty two babies, and only one of them would have downs syndrome. Maybe that’ll help you put it into perspective.
Best of luck for you. I hope you have a healthy and kind pregnancy!

@mar30 did you find out if you are having a boy or girl? Have you picked out any name possibilities? The number game could make you go crazy, questioning, wondering, guessing, playing what ifs. Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy.

The tests that they use sometimes could be wrong too because when my mother was pregnant with me they said that I would have Down syndrome but I was born without it

Wishing you a wonderful pregnancy.

I was not in your boat, but they do ask every pregnant woman at the hospital that I used if we wanted one. We chose not to do it, the doctor himself said that they were unnecessarily invasive, and that they were highly inaccurate.

I’m not in your position but I wanted to wish you the best! I hope you’re able to relax and enjoy your last pregnancy. And I hope you’re able to find some other women who have been in your position and can help you find some peace in the uncertainty.

If it helps, just imagine you didn’t have the test!! This is our fourth baby, and I’ve refused the tests every time… if you’re not going to abort, then the tests don’t matter anyway, because they are never conclusive anyway! So… maybe I have the same risks as you - but I’m not worried? Because I didn’t test for it. If it happens, it happens, we’ll get there when we get there, but I know stress isn’t good for a baby, so try not to let it worry you at all.