Dreaming of names

I’m pregnant with my second child, and I keep dreaming names - but not any that were on my list. So far I’ve dreamed that I have children named [name]Ian[/name] [name]Wesley[/name], Sasparilla ([name]Rilla[/name]), and Honeybee ([name]Deborah[/name]? [name]Melissa[/name]?). A friend has given her daughter the MN [name]Seraphine[/name] after her husband dreamed it. Has this happened to anyone else? Did you use the name?

I dream about names all the time! Infact, as a teenager I had a dream about two cats named [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] and when my husband and I decided to get cats we named them [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]! It was just a very vivid dream I think. Not sure I’d ever name a child based on a dream though. Actually, now I think about it I might. I’m quite a ‘dreamy’ person and the idea quite appeals! Oh, and as a side note I think [name]Ian[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] is great! I’ve always liked [name]Ian[/name].

[name]Ellie[/name].

When I was pregnant, we didn’t know the gender and I never had any feeling one way or the other - lots of people including my husband say they sometimes just “know”. But I had an extremely vivid dream where I picked up a child about two and someone said, who’s this? I said, this is my daughter, [name]Iona[/name]. It was so real I can still describe what the child looked like. DH was all for using the name due to the dream. But I didn’t want to - I don’t know where [name]Iona[/name] came from and I just didn’t think it was pretty. I did end up having a girl; her name is [name]Gwendolyn[/name] not [name]Iona[/name]. If I had dreamt a name I like, I probably would have used it though because what a wonderful story about how you “knew” the baby before he or she was even born!

I did that with my dog’s name. When I was told we were getting a puppy I started having dreams about her, and her name was always [name]Hannah[/name]. That came purely out of nowhere. [name]Hannah[/name] had not been one of my favorites. But I didn’t hate it, so I figured…why not? It’s also a sweet story when people ask how you got their name!

Well, I didn’t dream a name. But my cousin who I spent a great deal of time with during her pregnancy, I dreamt the night before she found out that she text me that’s she was sad because she found she was having a girl.

She REALLY wanted a boy. Anyway I woke up to a text and she said well…it’s a girl…

We welcomed Jamisyn [name]Riley[/name] 9/13/09 (I helped name her!)

Then I had a dream about my best friend getting pregnant and she called me the next day out of the blue…and sure enough she was preggo!!

I was named after a dream that my father had when my mom was pregnant. They didn’t know if I was a boy or girl and they couldn’t decide on a girls’ name between [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], or [name]Caitlin[/name]. My dad had a dream that they had a brown-haired baby girl named [name]Kaitlin[/name]. A couple weeks later I was born with a full head of dark brown hair and mom said “OK, her name is going to be [name]Kaitlin[/name].” I guess she really loved the C spelling, but since my dad dreamed of writing [name]Kaitlin[/name] on the birth certificate, that’s how it came out.

I wouldn’t name my baby after a dream if it wasn’t something I really loved (in the case of my parents it was something they’d already agreed to consider), but I love the story of how I got my name and I think so would any other child.

My mom was named from a dream. When my grandma was pregnant with my mom, she had planned on naming her [name]Jennifer[/name]. Close to her due date she had a dream that she gave birth and named her [name]Beth[/name], and in the dream her baby had a little freckle-like dot on her nose. Well, when my grandma actually did give birth, my mom had the mark on her nose, so she named her [name]Beth[/name].

Crazy, huh?!

Well I’ve never done it, but a friend of mine got her name that way. I don’t remember what she said it was, but they had a name all set, but one night her dad had a dream he was looking for the baby, and when he woke up he asked her mom where’s [name]Megan[/name], and thus she ended up a [name]Megan[/name].

I don’t think I’d leave my subconscious to naming my kids, but at least you’d have a cool story of why you choose that name!

When I was pregnant I had a dream I had the baby and I asked her what she wanted me to call her.
She said “My name is [name]Michelle[/name] but you can call me Mish.”
I’ve never really liked [name]Michelle[/name]… and especially not Mish… I named her [name]Emmeline[/name] :slight_smile:

I had a dream that my cousin came in the house with a little baby and the next day she showed me her pregnancy test I was so amazed!

When I was a young girl I had a dream that I had a son. [name]Even[/name] though I had never heard of the name before then it stuck out so vividly I would love to use it if I ever have a son.
I also, not long ago, dreamed about a daughter I had.

I definately consider using both these names for any future children, but wouldn’t rule any others out :slight_smile: