Drew as creative nn for Edward? WDYT?

We are so close on completing our name “work” for our twin boys. Twin #1 is [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name]. Twin #2 has been more difficult to name. [name]Edward[/name] will be the first name, that much we know. However, I want a more casual nn to use as well - something lighter than [name]Edward[/name]. We don’t like [name]Eddie[/name], [name]Ned[/name], [name]Ted[/name], or [name]Teddy[/name].

I like the nn [name]Drew[/name] alot. We’re considering [name]Edward[/name] [name]Andrew[/name], with [name]Drew[/name] as the nn. It seems like a bit of a mouthful and doesn’t have the greatest flow. This is our absolute top pick for twin #2, but it doesn’t have the same nice flow as [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] in my opinion.

I’ve also considered using [name]Drew[/name] as a “nn” for [name]Edward[/name], because all of the letters in [name]Drew[/name] are contained in [name]Edward[/name]. A bit creative, I admit…that way we could use a different middle name which has better flow.

Opinions, criticisms, etc? Please, no other name suggestions for first name. [name]Edward[/name] is a done deal. Thanks in advance for your help!!! :smiley:

It doesn’t really make much sense to me at all. I wouldn’t use [name]Diana[/name] as a nickname [name]Nadia[/name], even though all the letters are there. I think it would be okay for [name]Edward[/name] [name]Andrew[/name], though, and nicknames don’t always relate to the full name (I know an [name]Anthony[/name] nicknamed Potato), so although it’s quite a stretch, I think nicknames are sort of almost anything goes.

I love the name [name]Edward[/name] and think [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] make a great pair, though not sure why you’re set on [name]Edward[/name] if you absolutely want a nickname and absolutely don’t like any of the many usual suspects? What about [name]Ward[/name]? I’m assuming you don’t like that either. [name]How[/name] about just [name]Edward[/name] [name]Drew[/name] if you don’t like [name]Edward[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]? I agree that [name]Drew[/name] from [name]Edward[/name] is a stretch, to put it mildly, but people have all kinds of nicknames. Yes, it causes confusion, there are no two ways around that, and no opinion is going to change that. But a lot of names have down sides and if you want to name him [name]Edward[/name] [name]Malcolm[/name], say, and call him [name]Drew[/name], then it’s your parental prerogative to do that!

[name]Drew[/name] is a too much a stretch in my opinion.
Other nickname suggestion: A friend of mine is named [name]Edward[/name], but he goes by Ard.
~ :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback. We’re using [name]Edward[/name] for some personal family reasons…we do like it but just want a more casual, lighter nn option but aren’t wild about the standard nn for [name]Edward[/name]. I think [name]Edward[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] makes the most sense, but am curious about others’ opinions on how this sounds together.

I know an [name]Edward[/name] who is in his late 20’s and my 3 yr old has an [name]Edward[/name] in her class. [name]Both[/name] ALWAYS go by [name]Edward[/name] and it doesn’t seem nearly as stuffy as you might theoretically think. I think [name]Edward[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] is a great combination, but I would prefer just [name]Edward[/name] or just [name]Andrew[/name] to [name]Drew[/name] which just doesn’t have much punch, [name]IMO[/name].

I think [name]Drew[/name] only works if you go with [name]Edward[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]. Otherwise, people will simply assume that a [name]Drew[/name] is an [name]Andrew[/name] and there will be room for lots of confusion.

Someone mentioned using the nn [name]Ward[/name] above. To me, [name]Ward[/name] has much the same quality of [name]Drew[/name].

I was at work today and i came across a cool nickname that someone used for their son [name]Edward[/name]…and I immediately thought of this post! While i think [name]Drew[/name] could work, this new option is much more fun and light hearted. They chose to use the nn Edge for [name]Edward[/name] which i found BEYOND adorable! [name]Edward[/name] & [name]Oliver[/name] or Edge & [name]Ollie[/name] is amazing! Anyways, it’s something to think about!

As for [name]Drew[/name], i think it could work but i don’t love it. I think the reason why i dont love it is because of the full name [name]Edward[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]. Theoretically its a nice name, but something about it seems clunky and really repetititve. I guess it’s because all the letters of [name]Edward[/name] are found in [name]Andrew[/name]…just with the addition of the “N” so it seems uber repetitive. Are you only looking for family names in the middle, or are you open to other options? [name]May[/name] i suggest these as a brother to [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name]:
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]George[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]John[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Callum[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Finlay[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Peter[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Miles[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Charles[/name] & [name]Edward[/name] [name]Spencer[/name]

*bolded are favorites

Any reactions?

I guess we’re kind of stuck. Our son REALLY wants the name [name]Edward[/name] for one of the twins, and because of what our family has gone through (major loss), we’d really like to give him his wish. I really like [name]Drew[/name] for a nn. I like short nn and it works great with our last name. I agree that [name]Edward[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] isn’t the ideal combination, but I don’t think middle names are that big of a deal in “real life”. I bet very few of my son’s friends even know his middle name. On most forms you just list the initial anyway. I think we’ll probably go w/ [name]Edward[/name] [name]Andrew[/name], knowing that there are some minor cons but I think we all end up happy with it.

(RE: Edge as a nn - we’re not even close to being cool enough to pull that off! :slight_smile:

Thanks!