Due date approaching and stressing about boy's names...:(

My due date is fast approaching and we don’t have a name set if we have a boy (we’re team green and we’re set on a girl’s name - [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]).

I keep going back to lists thinking I’m going to find the perfect name, but I end up back at the same list we’ve had forever. I think I need to just put a pin in my list and accept that I’m not going to love one name over all the others. I have doubts and insecurities about each of these names and just don’t feel great about any of them. We’re not sharing any names with family/friends to avoid opinions so I’m hoping you berries can help set me straight.

Our list is as follows and I’ve included my concerns with each (I know, I’m being negative):

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] - Second guessing whether I like the sound rolling off my tongue + we have someone in the distant family already named [name_m]Walter[/name_m] and we’re not looking to specifically honour this person.
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - I keep asking myself if this name sounds nerdy. Nerdy is not the feel we’re going for.
[name_u]Wallace[/name_u] - Is this just too fusty for a 2019 comeback? We also don’t like [name_u]Wally[/name_u], but love the sound of the full name.
[name_u]Francis[/name_u] - Hate [name_m]Frank[/name_m] and worry this sounds really feminine. We are also not Catholic.
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] - I’m fairly certain our families will hate this name. This doesn’t have to be a deal breaker, but it bothers me.
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - So so popular where we live, so likely takes it out of contention.
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] - Think I like the sound of [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] more, but like the classic/royal feel of [name_m]Edward[/name_m] more (i.e. isn’t construed as nerdy like [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] might be).

I’d love people’s general thoughts on these names, and whether these concerns feel valid. [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to tell me I’m just being a crazy hormonal pregnant lady:)!!!

This is not a very helpful answer, but I don’t think you can’t go wrong with any of them! And this being your first, you have the luxury of not having to match it up with anything else;). I love all of your choices - and you’re making me take another look at [name_m]Edward[/name_m] (also struggling with boy names!). Also, I know a [name_u]Wallace[/name_u] and he’s darling (and doesn’t go by [name_u]Wally[/name_u]!).

PS. [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is GORGEOUS!

[name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m] are my favourites from this list, but they’re all lovely so go for any of them with pride!

I know you’re not looking for suggestions but I can’t help but put forward [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]. after seeing [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] (you’re worrying about nothing! this is such a cool name) and [name_m]Edward[/name_m], it popped into my head and felt like a bit of a compromise between the two? it’s weird but known, has a literary feel and is also very cool (well, in my opinion)

just came back to say [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is sooo gorgeous!

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] - I can’t help where sound is concerned but is the distant relative likely to think that it is in honour of them? [name_m]How[/name_m] distant is distant? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you communicate often? Are you in each others company more than once every blue moon? If you never really see this person, does it really matter? Personally, I love [name_m]Walter[/name_m] and would use him in a heartbeat.

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - Not my favourite but I don’t think he’s nerdy at all. A little serious, maybe. A little upright (does that make sense), also maybe. But nerdy? No.

[name_u]Wallace[/name_u] - I like him a lot. Maybe the [name_u]Wallis[/name_u] spelling would help you modernise it (although you might be wary of the female, [name_u]Wallis[/name_u] [name_m]Simpson[/name_m] association) but honestly, I think [name_u]Wallace[/name_u] fits in fine with the vintage revival bunch.

[name_u]Francis[/name_u] - I’m a Catholic (albeit, lapsed) and had to think when you mentioned it. Honestly I think in this 21st Century world where religion isn’t the first thought for a good portion of the world, that association isn’t really going to come up. I also don’t think [name_m]Frank[/name_m] is an inevitability, especially if you don’t want it to be.

[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] - Also a favourite of mine. Personally, I don’t care for people who wish to impose their opinion on others, to the point where someone would change their mind, especially with something is as personal as naming your child. He’s your baby, it’s your choice.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - Another one I love but if I was having a baby right now, I probably wouldn’t use it either. As a one of many in a class, I can see why popularity is a turn off.

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] - I like him, but similar to [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], I find him a little stuffy. However, I think if you were to look for something that might fit with a future [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], this might be the best one.

I’d like to add that I also love [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] from your signature, and think he’d be perfect with a little [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]. As previous posters said, you can’t really go wrong with any of these. I hope I don’t offend with any of these opinions. Good luck finding the one!

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] - I like this one for you! If the [name_m]Walter[/name_m] you know isn’t anyone close to you then I think it’s fine to use it.
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - I don’t find it nerdy at all, names ending in in/en/on etc are very much on trend! There’s always [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]/[name_m]Edison[/name_m]/[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] if you want some other [name_m]Ed[/name_m]- options.
[name_u]Wallace[/name_u] - I love [name_u]Wallace[/name_u] but I’d avoid it if you don’t like the nickname [name_u]Wally[/name_u].
[name_u]Francis[/name_u] - I doubt a [name_u]Francis[/name_u] would get called [name_m]Frank[/name_m]. Most people would use his full name most of the time and maybe occasionally shorten it to [name_u]Fran[/name_u]/[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]. Doesn’t sound feminine to me and I think it’s fine to use it despite your religion!
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] - [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] is so handsome! They’ll learn to love the name as it’s going to be a name associated with your wonderful son. Or maybe they’ll like one of the nicknames, [name_m]Cy[/name_m] or [name_m]Russ[/name_m].
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - I find [name_m]Henry[/name_m] pretty overused, so I’m not a fan.
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] - Out of [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] I prefer [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], but [name_m]Edward[/name_m] is a fine choice if you still think [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]'s too nerdy!
Are you looking for suggestions? If yes:
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Angus[/name_m], [name_m]Anders[/name_m], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], [name_m]Amos[/name_m], [name_m]Archibald[/name_m]/[name_m]Archie[/name_m], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m]
[name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_u]Beau[/name_u], [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], [name_m]Byron[/name_m], [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], [name_m]Bernard[/name_m]
[name_m]Clive[/name_m], [name_m]Clyde[/name_m], [name_m]Clark[/name_m], [name_m]Cyprian[/name_m], [name_m]Callahan[/name_m], [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], [name_m]Conrad[/name_m], [name_u]Constantine[/name_u], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_m]Chester[/name_m], [name_m]Clayton[/name_m], [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_u]Clancy[/name_u]
[name_u]Dallas[/name_u], [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m], [name_m]Duncan[/name_m], [name_m]Davis[/name_m]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u], [name_m]Emilian[/name_m], [name_m]Ernest[/name_m], [name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_m]Faust[/name_m], [name_m]Ford[/name_m], [name_m]Fitz[/name_m], [name_m]Fritz[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Foster[/name_m], [name_m]Ferris[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m]
[name_u]Gus[/name_u], [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m], [name_m]Garrett[/name_m], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]Giles[/name_m]
[name_m]Heath[/name_m], [name_m]Hugh[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Harvey[/name_m], [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], [name_m]Henrik[/name_m]/[name_m]Hendrix[/name_m]
[name_m]Ike[/name_m]
[name_u]Jem[/name_u], [name_m]Joel[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_u]Kieran[/name_u], [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m]
[name_m]Lars[/name_m], [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m], [name_u]Lyle[/name_u], [name_m]Linus[/name_m], [name_u]Luca[/name_u], [name_m]Lucian[/name_m], [name_m]Lucien[/name_m], [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m], [name_u]Lennon[/name_u], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], [name_m]Leopold[/name_m], [name_u]Lionel[/name_u], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_m]Miles[/name_m], [name_m]Marius[/name_m], [name_m]Marcus[/name_m], [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], [name_m]Matthias[/name_m], [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m], [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m], [name_m]Maxim[/name_m], [name_m]Maximus[/name_m], [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_u]Noel[/name_u], [name_u]Niall[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_m]Pip[/name_m], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m], [name_u]Percy[/name_u], [name_m]Percival[/name_m], [name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_m]Quentin[/name_m]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u], [name_u]Remy[/name_u], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_u]Rafe[/name_u], [name_m]Rufus[/name_m], [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], [name_m]Rainer[/name_m], [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], [name_m]Roland[/name_m], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Roderick[/name_m], [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_u]Rohan[/name_u]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m], [name_u]Stanley[/name_u], [name_m]Stanford[/name_m], [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m], [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m], [name_m]Timothy[/name_m]
[name_m]Vaughn[/name_m], [name_m]Victor[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_u]Wylie[/name_u], [name_m]Walden[/name_m], [name_m]Wilder[/name_m], [name_u]Wendell[/name_u], [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m], [name_m]Wilford[/name_m], [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m], [name_m]Wilson[/name_m], [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]

[/QUOTE]I’d like to add that I also love [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] from your signature, and think he’d be perfect with a little [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]. As previous posters said, you can’t really go wrong with any of these. I hope I don’t offend with any of these opinions. Good luck finding the one![/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for your feedback! I really like [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] too, but my husband has vetoed it along with any others in my signature that aren’t on the current short list.

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] - Well, how often do you see them? Its a lovely name though.
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - Honestly, I do feel a bit the same way. What about [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]/[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_u]Wallace[/name_u] - I think [name_m]Walter[/name_m] is a better bet, but just my opinion
[name_u]Francis[/name_u] - Doesnt sound feminine in my book, any Francises I know go by full name or [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] - nms but if your family doesnt like it thats not a dealbreaker. It is sweet though
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - There’s a reason some names are popular! If you really like it, dont let that stop you.
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] - I prefer [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] to [name_m]Edward[/name_m] but I like this better than [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], which feels a little dated

I think they are all great names. I do think [name_u]Francis[/name_u] sounds a little feminine and religious to me.

My favorites are [name_u]Wallace[/name_u] (sounds pretty fresh), [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] (any name you pick will grow on your family) and [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] (could go either way depending on kid’s personality).

[name_u]Curtis[/name_u] is a name that came to mind for you.

I’m excited for your announcement already! [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is stunning and you have so many great boys’ names in the running too.

I would lose [name_m]Henry[/name_m] for starters, since you seem to have basically already ruled it out due to popularity. It’s a very handsome, classic name, but you will meet other little Henrys — possibly lots of them — and it sound like that might irk you.

Second, [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] vs. [name_m]Edward[/name_m]. I think it would be good to try and settle on one, and take the other one out of the running. I don’t find [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] nerdy, although I have to confess that I personally prefer the solid, regal, no-nonsense [name_m]Edward[/name_m] (or, even better, [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]). But if the sound of [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] appeals more to you, go with that. I still think it fits the vibe you’re going for and is certainly more unusual.

Now for the others…

[name_m]Walter[/name_m]: I like this for you. It’s unusual but familiar, feels retro/vintage and refined, but not too stuffy, and I really like the nn [name_m]Walt[/name_m]. I’m with you on not loving [name_u]Wally[/name_u], and I think you’re much more likely to avoid it with [name_m]Walter[/name_m] than [name_u]Wallace[/name_u].

[name_u]Wallace[/name_u]: Hmm, [name_u]Wally[/name_u] does seem pretty likely, to be honest… I can see the appeal of this one, and I think it’s usable in 2019, but it’s a little too stodgy for me personally.

[name_u]Francis[/name_u]: Really like this, and it would be a wonderful brother for a future [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]. I don’t think [name_m]Frank[/name_m] is inevitable, not does it scream Catholic to me. It’s more an upright, tailored, underused classic.

[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]: This one is not a favourite in full, but I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_m]Cy[/name_m] and think both the full name and nickname are really cool. It feels slightly different in style to the rest of your list, though — more ancient/exotic than rediscovered classic.

Have you considered…

[name_m]Clement[/name_m]
[name_m]Florent[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Maxime[/name_u]
[name_m]Pascal[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilbur[/name_m]
[name_m]Willem[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
[name_m]Clarence[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Laurent[/name_m]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Sylvan[/name_m]
[name_m]Alban[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_u]Corin[/name_u]
[name_u]Jules[/name_u]

I like:

[name_u]Francis[/name_u] - Classic and androgynous, not feminine. Doesn’t scream Catholic.
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] - Unusual and a little mysterious like [name_f]Delphine[/name_f].
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] - A personal favorite of mine, so of course I have to vote for it.

What about [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]?

My favorite is [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] and I could imagine him a brother to a [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] if that helps!

I like [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] a lot, and [name_m]Walter[/name_m] is nice also. I really like the style I think you are searching for (timeless without too strong a stereotype/association, would fit with peers named [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] but without being popular), but I can see how none of your names feel quite right.

I know you didn’t necessarily ask for suggestions, but [name_u]Wendell[/name_u] immediately popped to mind for me. It is similar in length and sound to [name_u]Wallace[/name_u], but doesn’t have an unpleasant nickname attached to it (I don’t think you could avoid [name_u]Wally[/name_u] entirely). It also has the strong D sound like [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m], but without having a nerdy or royal association.

If not [name_u]Wendell[/name_u], what about [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]? Also classic, relatively unusual, but also a bit spunkier than [name_u]Francis[/name_u] or [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

[name_u]Percy[/name_u]? [name_m]Pascal[/name_m]? [name_u]Ira[/name_u]? [name_m]Roald[/name_m]?

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] - I like this name, I wouldn’t worry about a distant namesake. [name_m]Walt[/name_m] is a cute short form.
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - I’m not a big fan, but it is a useable name.
[name_u]Wallace[/name_u] - [name_u]Wallace[/name_u] is really nice! One of my faves from your list.
[name_u]Francis[/name_u] - I don’t like this one, sorry. For the same reasons you are questioning it.
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] - This is okay. [name_m]Cy[/name_m] is a great short form!
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - I love [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. But it is popular. Still love it though.
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] - Not a fan.

[name_u]Wallace[/name_u] is not at all fusty from my perspective, and it wouldn’t necessarily lead to a nn like [name_u]Wally[/name_u], which isn’t any shorter. I love [name_u]Wallace[/name_u]!
I know a teenaged [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] and it’s worked so well at all stages of his life. It seems like a name that stands out in a good way, but isn’t difficult to wear. I love all the [name_m]Ed[/name_m]- names, and would pick the one you like best if you go in that direction. Good luck - your child will be well named no matter what.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there! [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is a gorgeous pick for a girl. I wish you all the best in coming to a decision on a boy name. Here are my personal thoughts on what you have.

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] - [name_m]Walter[/name_m] is solid and handsome. I personally really like [name_u]Wally[/name_u], but if you don’t like it, I think it is avoidable, more so than with [name_u]Wallace[/name_u], which is a longer name. As for the family member it really depends on how distant of family they are. If you rarely see them, I wouldn’t let that give you pause.

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] doesn’t come off as nerdy to me. It actually gives me a dashing feel. Gentlemanly. I also like the possiblity of nn [name_u]Win[/name_u], which to me sounds perfect for an adventurous little guy. My best friend is writing a novel, and one of the main characters is called [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], so it’s gotten me fond of this name.

[name_u]Wallace[/name_u] - I don’t think it’s too fusty, but I do think it would get [name_u]Wally[/name_u]. I think [name_m]Walter[/name_m] is better for you in this instance.

[name_u]Francis[/name_u] - Again, I like [name_m]Frank[/name_m], but I think [name_u]Francis[/name_u] won’t get [name_m]Frank[/name_m] that often if at all. [name_u]Francis[/name_u] itself is nicely tailored sounding, and makes me think of someone a bit artsy, not the Pope.

[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] - [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] is so cool! I really like “[name_m]Cy[/name_m]” too. I think of the names you have, this best “matches” [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]'s unusual elegance.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - I love [name_m]Henry[/name_m], but he’s reserved to being a middle name for me due to the popularity.

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] - I can see the appeal of [name_m]Edward[/name_m], but I personally prefer literally all of the other [name_m]Ed[/name_m] names to him: [name_m]Edgar[/name_m], [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Edison[/name_m], etc.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] is my favorite name from your list but if popularity is a concern how about using it in the middle? From your signature, I like [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback! This has been really helpful and my SO and I have managed to narrow down our list from these 7 down to just 3 options ([name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m], and [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]).

We have a few more weeks to whittle it down even further:)

[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is a one of those names that gives me name envy. Beautiful choice.

For your boy’s names, here are my thoughts:

[name_m]Walter[/name_m]: there is something… dusty (?) about this name. It’s one of those old man names that screams geriatric to me as opposed to vintage gem. That said, I think [name_m]Walt[/name_m] is pretty cool. If it was me, I’d go straight to [name_m]Walt[/name_m].

[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]: really like this one. You may have some people hear [name_m]Silas[/name_m] when you say it (which would be a great choice too). Overall I think it’s stylish and underused.

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]: this nudges geriatric territory too but I love [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] as a nicknmame, or even [name_u]Winn[/name_u].

Good luck!

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] - I like the sound, I think having a distant family member with the same name is not a big deal - one of my dad’s second cousins or something like that shares my name, and it isn’t a big deal at all.
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] - It does sound kind of nerdy.
[name_u]Wallace[/name_u] - I don’t like it.
[name_u]Francis[/name_u] - I think your reasons are strong enough to take it off your list.
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] - Your family will love the baby too much to care about the name a ton
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - It’s popular because it’s a good name. I like it with [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]. Would using a nickname like [name_m]Hank[/name_m] or [name_m]Huck[/name_m] or [name_m]Harry[/name_m] make it more appealing?
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] - It goes well with [name_f]Delphine[/name_f].