Due in 3 weeks and still not decided!

Hello all!

DH and I are expecting our first baby in about 3 weeks and still haven’t narrowed down our girl name choices. We will not know the sex until baby is born and are planning on taking our top 2 girl and top 2 boy choices to the hospital with us to decide after we meet the baby.

Our boy options are [name]Lionel[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] (DH is [name]Andrew[/name] nn [name]Andy[/name]) or [name]Harvey[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] (maybe [name]Harvey[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]). So if you want to share your opinions on those, feel free!

We have a few favorite girl options but I don’t quite love them like we love the boys names.

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] (this is DH’s current favorite, but that fluctuates)… this name seems a little popular for my tastes (especially compared with our other choices that aren’t anywhere near being popular), but I think it is a beautiful name and the nn [name]Gigi[/name] is cute. I like the nn [name]Eloise[/name] with this name, but not sold on it.

So, maybe you guys can push me over the edge about one of our already chosen names, or give us some more suggestions.

Our last name is Marks so anything that ends in an S sound ([name]Frances[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name]) or anything too short ([name]Ruth[/name], [name]Tess[/name]) don’t sound great to me (I love all of the names mentioned if that gives you more taste about my/our style).

Thanks in advance! We really appreciate it.

[name]Lindsey[/name]

[name]Just[/name] wanted to put in a vote for [name]Harvey[/name], I love it!! I really like the idea of using [name]Anderson[/name] in the middle for your dh [name]Andrew[/name], and [name]Harvey[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] sounds wonderful. I also love [name]Theodore[/name], though. I’m not as crazy about [name]Lionel[/name], but I do see the appeal.

For a girl, I love [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]! I’ve never been crazy about the name [name]Georgia[/name], but I don’t really have a reason why…

Congrats and good luck!

I love [name]Harvey[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]! I love that you’re using [name]Anderson[/name] for the right meaning (son of [name]Andrew[/name]) as well! [name]Lionel[/name] is nice as well, but the [name]Leo[/name] names are getting very popular so I imagine [name]Lionel[/name] might be on the up and coming as well. [name]Harvey[/name] is sweet and vintage and he will definitely be the only one in his class.

I used to love the name [name]Willa[/name] but it now feels kind of boring to me. [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is a very nice combo. [name]Georgia[/name] has always seem kind of popular to me, but I’m in love with [name]Georgina[/name], which is less popular and also has the adorable nickname of [name]Gigi[/name]. [name]Georgina[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] would be a beautiful combination. There’s also [name]Georgiana[/name] (jor-[name]JAY[/name]-nuh or jor-gee-AHN-ah) which is a bit friller, but still sweet. Or what about [name]Josephine[/name] as a first name? I love the nicknames [name]Jo[/name] and [name]Josie[/name].

I think you have great choices, but for the heck of it, here are some suggestions based off the names you like:

Boys:
[name]Adrian[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]/[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Walker[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Edgar[/name]/[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Albert[/name]

Girls:
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I do love [name]Hazel[/name], but again, am fearful of it becoming more popular or that is is actually more popular than I think it is already (having no kids, popularity rankings are just a number…)

Oh… and I love [name]Josephine[/name] as a first name if I could guarantee [name]Posey[/name] or [name]Jo[/name] as a nickname. I just do not care for [name]Josie[/name]… I immediately think “and the pussycats”.

So, for now I think I’ll keep it in the middle since I know once they hit elementary school I lose all control over what people nickname my child :slight_smile:

I think [name]Lionel[/name] Marks sounds better than [name]Harvey[/name] Marks, so I’m voting for [name]Lionel[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] Marks! Another great one would be [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Lionel[/name] Marks…

As for girls, I think [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is great, and it works perfectly with Marks. It has a soft, playful feel to it that incorporates a bit of Southern charm and a tomboy feel. However, based on your boys’ names, I think [name]Georgia[/name] “[name]Gigi[/name]” might be better for you in the long run. You could do [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] Marks to actually get that double-G “[name]Gigi[/name]” monogram, but I think something along the lines of [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Winifred[/name] Marks, [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] Marks, or [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Violet[/name] Marks would be perfect. I also love [name]Eloise[/name], as a first name, and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] Marks would be cute…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Harvey[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] & [name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] :slight_smile:

I like [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Violet[/name]… I’ll run them by DH.

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Georgia[/name] sounds as “fresh” (at least I think they sound fresh compared with some of the more popular boys names) as [name]Harvey[/name] and [name]Lionel[/name].

Is [name]Georgia[/name] as popular as I think it is? In the past I’ve ruled out any name above the 500 mark…

And I agree [name]Lemon[/name], [name]Lionel[/name] is my favorite with Marks, but I just [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Harvey[/name]. Luckily this is baby no. 1 and we can always use our other option in the future… if we don’t change our mind before then :slight_smile:

[name]Lindsey[/name],

I’m glad you like [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]! [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] are very vintage names, and though [name]Georgia[/name] is a bit on the vintage side as well, it is slightly more modern in its sound, I think. Thus, pairing it with a vintage middle name makes each combination sound even more old-fashioned chic, like [name]Lionel[/name] or [name]Harvey[/name] might. I think [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Lionel[/name] or [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Harvey[/name] pair beautifully together, but I just don’t care for the sound of [name]Harvey[/name] Marks…

As for popularity, I don’t think it matters too much. I don’t feel [name]Georgia[/name] is at all popular, as the one I know is nearly 60 now. More people are using “vintage” names, though, so she’s destined to rise. But, we aren’t looking at the next [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Olivia[/name] - heck, I don’t think we are even looking at the next [name]Charlotte[/name]! But, if you are curious, here are the rankings from 2009:

[name]Georgia[/name] - #337 [This name is approximately in the same place it was 10 years ago, which suggests it hasn’t seen much movement. Good sign for you!]

[name]Lionel[/name] - #991 in 2001 [Only ranked in 2001, this suggests that [name]Lionel[/name] is a very uncommon first name nowadays, so you aren’t likely to meet another one.]

[name]Harvey[/name] - #999 in 2000 [Only ranked in 2000, this name is even more uncommon than [name]Lionel[/name].]

Now, I can see where the relative ranking of [name]Georgia[/name] in comparison to [name]Lionel[/name] and [name]Harvey[/name] might worry you, but as I said, [name]Georgia[/name] has seen only mild movement in the past ten years, and although it might see more use, it won’t get to “epidemic” standards in my opinion. As a whole, the names flow well together.

I love the sound of [name]Lionel[/name] Marks. It is such a handsome combo.

Fresh and uncommon suggestions for a girl:
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Della[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Rosaleen[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Gisele[/name]
[name]Lisette[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]

Okay. Thanks for spelling it out a little more for me! I think it might be the relation of [name]Georgia[/name]'s ranking to [name]Lionel[/name] and [name]Harvey[/name]… but it’s a good point that it hasn’t seen much movement and I can’t think of any that I know or have heard of.

I really love the name [name]Margo[/name]… but with Marks it sounds a little repetitive ([name]Mar[/name] [name]Mar[/name]).

And [name]Eliza[/name] is a name that I am definitely planning for a future little girl’s middle, my mom is [name]Lisa[/name] and grandma is [name]Betty[/name] so I wanted to use another [name]Elizabeth[/name] derivative to honor them both… but we plan on adopting in the future and I want to use it for her (if we end up adopting a her!)

[name]Do[/name] you think there is a better chance of running into a [name]Hazel[/name] or running into a [name]Georgia[/name]?

Thanks for your help you guys! It’s helping me focus my thoughts a little bit.

I think that [name]Georgia[/name] is more common than [name]Hazel[/name]

[name]Harvey[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] - how cute!

I think there is a better chance of running into a little [name]Hazel[/name] than a little [name]Georgia[/name], but it could be because I only know a 55-year-old [name]Georgia[/name] and a 3-year-old [name]Hazel[/name]…

I think, especially with the trend in vintage nature names, like [name]Violet[/name], [name]Hazel[/name] will see a mild increase. We aren’t talking the next [name]Emma[/name], but [name]Hazel[/name] I predict will be on the rise. But, I love it!

I love [name]Eliza[/name] as a first name with Marks, too, and [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Margo[/name] Marks is really cool!