Due in a week- Sister for James and Andrew

[name_m]Just[/name_m] posted a similar thread on the boy forum- I need help! Due in a week and we still don’t have names. I love informal nicknames but prefer to primarily call our kiddos what we name them. I also want the name to be easy to spell as our kids will always be clarifying how to spell our last name.

Names we are currently discussing:
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (front runner. Too predictable with our boy names? Also popular although [name_m]Ive[/name_m] only come across little Betsys lately. Not a fan of the nickname [name_f]Liz[/name_f], would this naturally happen?)
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (may not be feminine enough with our last name)
[name_f]Molly[/name_f] (concern is that its too cutesy)
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] (this was a front runner until my husband asked friends what they thought and everyone was silent)

Other names on our lists that we’ve ruled out but might need to bring back.
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Margo[/name_f]

What would you name a sister to [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]? Girl names have always been hard for me. I want to choose something that ages well, is feminine without being frilly and isn’t overly popular in her class (which I know is hard to predict, there are “popular” names I’ve never heard on a baby and less popular names I hear all the time- like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]) . In the end I just need to find one we both love- I can find the negative in any name right now and I’ve got to get past that! Thanks for your help!

I really like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] with your other kids names. I don’t think it’s too predictive, as I’ve found not alot of people are choosing that name anymore, due to it being very vintage/classic, which is a shame because it’s a lovely name that needs to come back.

I think [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] is such a cute nn, and I don’t think [name_f]Liz[/name_f] would be an instant nn choice. I’m sure what ever nn you go with, others will follow.

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is lovely, but I think [name_f]Liz[/name_f] or [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] would almost certainly happen at school, which it sounds like you wouldn’t like?
I love Maragret.
I love [name_f]Molly[/name_f] - this is also my sister’s name. She is named after my great grandmother, who was a [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] but went by the nm [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. It’s my sister’s full name. She has always liked it and I think it still sounds good on her as an adult.
I’m not a huge fan of [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] reminds me of [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] [name_m]Jones[/name_m].

Of your other names, I like [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] (I know a pretty cool 20-something aged [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and it’s great on her), [name_f]Nora[/name_f] (or maybe spelt [name_f]Norah[/name_f]) and [name_f]Margo[/name_f] but spelt [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. It makes it looks like more of a full name.

A few other ideas:
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Elouise[/name_f]
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]

I’ve known Elizabeths who go by [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], [name_f]Liz[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] and [name_f]Libby[/name_f]. I don’t think there is an “inevitable” nickname. Of course your daughter may end up choosing one later in life that you do not like.

I find [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] to be quite feminine.
I like the idea of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] nn [name_f]Molly[/name_f]!
I would describe [name_f]Molly[/name_f] friendly rather than cutesy; I also know a lawyer named [name_f]Molly[/name_f], if that helps change your mental image.

[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] is also my least favorite of the choices.

Other ideas:
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Kathryn[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] ([name_f]Cassie[/name_f])
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]

Tbh I’m not that fond of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] but nicknames you could use are: [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Libby[/name_f] or [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].

My first thought was actually [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]! However I would prefer just [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] as I find [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] too harsh with [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Andrew[/name_m].

[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Molly[/name_f] do work rather well but I think there are some better options.

[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] nn [name_f]Bridie[/name_f] works quite well :).

I also like [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]!!

[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Carolina[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Bethany[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Liberty[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Adela[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Lacey[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Cara[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Faith[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Lenora[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Bronte[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]

I’m no help! I like all the name on your list and think they all work well with the brother names. I definitely know some young Elizabeths who always and only go by their full names but I know quite a few who use [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] as well. It’s tough to predict, so you’ll need to consider how you would feel about various potential nicknames. I am a fan of [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] and I know Mollys of all ages and feel the name ages well. Some of my favorites for you:

[name_f]Molly[/name_f] [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]–I love this!
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] or [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Ella[/name_f] nn [name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]–classic and familiar but not as widely used as some of your other favorites
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]–ditto
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]–great name but I am meeting lots of little ones

[name_f]Claire[/name_f] seems like it might also fit your style. In my circles, though, the names [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] are much more common than many of the names that are top-ranked in the U.S. Good luck!

[name_f]Betsy[/name_f] is a cute nickname but most likely won’t happen naturally.

I really love [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]. It’s one of my favourite girls names. Would you go the french [name_f]Bridgette[/name_f] instead if no ones a fan of it? (If anyone asks you can say like [name_f]Bridgette[/name_f] [name_f]Bardot[/name_f])

I think you should try some names maybe slightly out of your style.

Other choices (your style) -

[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

Other choices (outside your style) -

[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f]
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f]
[name_f]Kendra[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_u]Allison[/name_u]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] (nn - Abby)
[name_f]Samantha[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_u]Kimberly[/name_u]
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] (nn - [name_f]Jenny[/name_f])
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]
[name_f]Lia[/name_f] (I suggest this spelling over [name_f]Leah[/name_f] but [name_f]Leah[/name_f] works just as well)
[name_u]Kelsey[/name_u]
[name_u]Chelsea[/name_u]
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]
[name_f]Christina[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] (nn - [name_f]Becca[/name_f])
[name_f]Marissa[/name_f]
Eileen

Now the names on the other choices different list may sound bananas but the reason why I’ve picked them is because they are either A) Previous classics (like [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] , [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u] , [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] and Marissa) , B) Current classics (like [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] , [name_u]Allison[/name_u] , [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f]) or C) will be classics in a decade ([name_u]Eden[/name_u] , [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] , [name_f]Lia[/name_f] and [name_f]Keira[/name_f]). They also sound well suited and pretty good with [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]. I particularly think [name_u]James[/name_u] , [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Erin[/name_f] , [name_u]James[/name_u] , [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] , [name_u]James[/name_u] , [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] and [name_u]James[/name_u] , [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] sound really good together.

[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], and…
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Demetria[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Kimberly[/name_u]
[name_f]Liliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u]
[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]

[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and …

[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]
[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]

X

I work in a bowling [name_f]Ally[/name_f] and last night, for the first time in my life, I met a [name_f]Molly[/name_f]! She was around 6 years old, and I have to say, I’m a fan. It isn’t too cutsey. [name_f]Corrina[/name_f] corrina is one of my favorite movies, and the child’s name is [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. [name_f]Molly[/name_f] Weasely on [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] was a wonderful mother and a fiesty brave member of those secretly fighting against [name_m]Lord[/name_m] voldemort. It’s great! “Aunt [name_f]Molly[/name_f]”, Grandma [name_f]Molly[/name_f]" all sounds good to my ears.

I am the mother of an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], and [name_f]Liz[/name_f]/[name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] doesn’t happen. She is introduced as [name_f]Libby[/name_f] and she’s called [name_f]Libby[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I think that if you try to call her only [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], then a more causal nickname might develop, especially in school. But if you choose her nickname at the beginning, that one should stick unless she herself decides she prefers another one.

Also, we’ve not yet met another little [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I don’t know where they all are. [name_m]Charles[/name_m]/[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]/[name_f]Nora[/name_f], we’ve met several, but no Elizabeths!

I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] called [name_f]Nora[/name_f] or [name_f]Ella[/name_f] is a good option for your sibset, but it will be more commonly heard.

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] called [name_f]Margot[/name_f] (or [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], or [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]) is also a good match for you.

If you don’t want to use a nickname:

[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

Good luck deciding!

It’s as shame your friends reacted so poorly to [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], it sounds so good with your boys names!

I personally love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], plus its one of the most prolific nickname producing names out there - if you dont love [name_f]Liz[/name_f] she could be [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], [name_f]Bessie[/name_f], [name_f]Liza[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] etc

Name her [name_f]Elise[/name_f]!

You guys are the best! Thank you for all the lovely suggestions. I love the point that if we go with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] we can kind of set up the nickname we prefer. Its definitely our frontrunner with [name_f]Molly[/name_f] as a backup. And poor [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], not sure why it get such a negative response- I might just go ahead and use it, I love that its so familiar but uncommon. Like with our boy names, going to work on middle names and hoping one combo will stick out as perfect. Thanks for helping this stressed out momma out!

I love [name_f]Molly[/name_f]! There’s a movie out called [name_f]Molly[/name_f]'s Game and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] Chastain plays a [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. I would definitely not call her cutesy. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is nice too. I know a lot of Lizzes in my generation and one baby [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. I agree with others that [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] will probably get nicknamed but you can influence which nickname is used.

I don’t think [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] would be too predictable. The nicknames [name_f]Liz[/name_f] that you don’t like is very avoidable. My sister’s daughter was named [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] after her mother-in-law. My sister’s daughter goes by [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], and the mother-in-law went by [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] her whole life, no nicknames. I think personally that it fits best with your naming style and the brothers.

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Libby[/name_f] perhaps?

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] sounds fresher and more modern than the more staid but classic [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and I love [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] with [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Andrew[/name_m].

I do like the suggestions of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] though with your sibset.

I absolutely adore [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] with your boys :slight_smile: nn [name_f]Effie[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], Bitty, Libba, [name_f]El[/name_f].

Or what about [name_f]Mary[/name_f] nn [name_f]Molly[/name_f]?

[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

Out of your list, I like [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. Personally I don’t find [name_f]Molly[/name_f] too cutesy and I actually really love it on older women as opposed to little girls. It’s so lively and vibrant. Since [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is used as a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], that could be an option for you.

I haven’t read through all the posts so there may be repeats, but here are some suggestions:

[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Hanna[/name_f]