Due in two weeks! Which name do you prefer?

I don’t think [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] is too Southern, but I do think it is very 90s. When I hear [name_f]Savannah[/name_f], I immediately picture a 20-something year old. I’m not sure if that’s a bad thing though.
Since [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] is ‘taken’, I would go with [name_u]Hadley[/name_u]. Very beautiful and I love nickname [name_f]Haddie[/name_f].

1 Like

I know a [name_f]Haddie[/name_f] (not as nn) and I think [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] is really adorable!

1 Like

I like [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] best of your list. I have a little great niece called [name_f]Savannah[/name_f]. She is adorable. Sorry, but the other two names don’t appeal to me in the slightest.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]! I think it’ll sound great with the alliteration of your surname. However, if you feel like it’s been taken, I also love [name_u]Hadley[/name_u].

1 Like

I’ll start by saying I like all three of your choices, so I don’t think you can really go wrong either way! But I’ll share my thoughts on each, in case any of them are helpful.

[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]–This has a very subtle Southern flavor to me. I wouldn’t expect a little [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] to be from any particular region! It doesn’t strike me as dated or trendy, and the Social Security data shows it’s held pretty steady since the mid-1990s. I really like this name, and I love the nickname [name_f]Savvy[/name_f].

[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]–This is a very sweet name! In case this matters to you, it has increased pretty significantly in popularity in the last 10-ish years. But you would be very timely in using it, so it wouldn’t seem at all generationally-mismatched. Personally, I really like it–it sounds modern but has history, feels feminine but a little tailored, and [name_f]Haddie[/name_f] is just the absolute sweetest.

[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]–I like [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], but I prefer both [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] and [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], so I wouldn’t be too tempted to use [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] given that’s it’s “taken.” I think using it would be very workable if it were your favorite, but it sounds like it’s not (?) so it doesn’t seem worth that compromise.

I think my favorite option of all might be some previous posters’ suggestions of [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] [name_f]Savannah[/name_f]–such a perfect combo!

1 Like

[name_f]Savannah[/name_f] gets my vote. Savvie is such a cute nickname, and [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] seems less dated than it does classic. I also think of this first as a nature name rather than the Southern city.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] is an adorable name!

1 Like

I named my daughter [name_f]Savannah[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I travelled to [name_u]Charleston[/name_u] and [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] and fell in love with the cities and said we would name them after them and so we did around 8 years later. I still had a list, but we liked that one. I pre-picked her nickname to be Savy and another relative chose [name_u]Van[/name_u], but actually call her baby and snacks or snacker prob because [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] is long and seems formal to not use those. She is 2 almost 3 and never accepted the Savy nickname and doesn’t like baby anymore either she tells us she likes the full [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] only. So I think nicknames just happen or not and can’t be planned. I tried asking her if she would like Savy, [name_u]Van[/name_u], [name_f]Vanna[/name_f], [name_u]Vanny[/name_u], or baby better and she answered [name_f]Savannah[/name_f]. When we first started her in early education at 2, she was so used to baby that she barely responded to [name_f]Savannah[/name_f], but now that is all she wants. I still love the name and am happy to see people’s reaction. We live in [name_u]Charleston[/name_u] now and people think the southern nature is perfect. I’ve met a couple [name_f]Savannah[/name_f]’s here that are college age. I like that everyone can spell it and pronounce it. I say just like the city.
I like all the names on your list.

1 Like

[name_u]Hadley[/name_u] is one of those names that is so not my style but for some reason I love it. I think because it kind of has that trendy vibe I dislike ala [name_f]Kinsley[/name_f] or [name_u]Henley[/name_u] but it has the historical weight they lack. So [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] 1000% gmv.

1 Like

Honestly, my least favorite part about the name [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] is the “trendeigh” thing you pointed out! (BTW, that spelling made me laugh :joy: )

I first saw the name when I was reading The [name_u]Paris[/name_u] Wife about [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m]’s first wife, so it feels like a historical name to me, but it ALSO feels like it could be a close cousin of the Kinsleighs, Ainsleys, et al.

1 Like

Totally agree! [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t care for those types of -ley names in general but [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] feels a bit more rooted in history (I think because it is, slightly!). Thank you for your input!

Thank you for this super-thoughtful input! I loved reading what you think — and I’m glad [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] doesn’t feel too southern to you! We are from the Midwest and live in the western US now so I didn’t want anyone thinking we were trying too hard to be something we’re not.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Savannah[/name_f].

Its elegant, classic, and pretty, without being overly feminine and frilly. Lots of great nickname options, with different feels, which is a great plus to me (Sav, [name_f]Savi[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Vana[/name_f], [name_u]Van[/name_u]).

1 Like

In your defense, it’s definitely better than the Kinsleighs and the Ainsleys :joy:

1 Like