Due in two weeks! Which name do you prefer?

Due in two weeks and feeling slightly panicked about names. We’re Team [name_u]Green[/name_u] but here is what we have narrowed it down to on the boy side:

• [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Wells[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], nn [name_u]Sully[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Macklin[/name_m], nn [name_m]Mac[/name_m]

Overall, I’d say we’re looking for names that feel somewhat classic, unique without being too try-hard, and have good nickname potential

Points of consideration:

• Is [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] just way, way too popular?
  • Is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] about to be too popular? ([name_f]My[/name_f] husband doesn’t love [name_u]Theo[/name_u] or [name_m]Ted[/name_m], either! He likes [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] but worries there’s no good middle ground there.)
  • Is [name_m]Wells[/name_m] too out there? (This is my fav name but my husband feels like it might be just a smidge too “out there” and the nickname potential isn’t super high)
  • We’re doing a family surname as the middle name, so [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] Lastname Lastname sounds a bit like three last names in a row…
  • Is [name_m]Macklin[/name_m] too out there?

What do you like? What are your first impressions? [name_m]Can[/name_m] you tell we’re going neurotic over this decision?! :slight_smile:

[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is sweet, but I would definitely prefer it as a nn. It’s not super popular where I am, but it probably is in the UK.

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is probably my favorite of your options. It’s a very handsome, formal name with the cutest of nns to go with it! It is also getting more popular, but not concerningly so.

For some reason, I can’t picture a little boy or a man with the name [name_m]Wells[/name_m]. I suppose it’s because I’ve never met one, but I can only think of it as a surname.

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] has an overwhelming association with Monsters Inc. If I move past that, it is very handsome .

[name_m]Macklin[/name_m] is very nice. Probably my second pick for you. [name_m]Mac[/name_m] is very sweet.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

1 Like

Congratulations on your baby!

[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is becoming very popular. I know 5 boy Charlies (2 of them are just [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], the other 3 are [name_m]Charles[/name_m] nn [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]). I also know 2 girl Charlies (just [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], not a nickname for anything). So if you want an uncommon name, I don’t think Charlies the name for you. It is a lovely, handsome name though.

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is a classic. It’s handsome and timeless. [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] is a great nickname, but I can see it being shortened to [name_m]Ted[/name_m] as he grows up, specially by his friends. It’s popular but really not too popular. If you want the nickname [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] and you don’t want to use [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], what about [name_m]Edward[/name_m]?

[name_m]Wells[/name_m] is not too out there! [name_f]My[/name_f] professor’s son’s name is [name_m]Wells[/name_m] (he’s 2) and he’s just the cutest thing. It’s the right mix of unique without being too weird, recognizable, and easy to say. [name_m]Wells[/name_m] can be a nickname in itself for [name_m]Wellington[/name_m], [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u], [name_m]Samwell[/name_m], [name_m]Hartwell[/name_m], [name_m]Howell[/name_m], [name_m]Lowell[/name_m], [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u], [name_m]Orwell[/name_m], or Stilwell.

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is a nice name too. I agree with you though, that’s a lot of last names so I would say this name isn’t the one for you. Names like [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]: [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m], [name_m]Griffin[/name_m], and [name_m]Donovan[/name_m].

[name_m]Macklin[/name_m] is not too out there at all! It is different but it’s recognizable and easy to pronounce. Especially with the more common nickname [name_m]Mac[/name_m], it’s perfect. If you want a more common name with the nickname [name_m]Mac[/name_m], how about [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]?

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations! [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is a little too popular for my liking, although it is a lovely name. [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] ‘[name_u]Sully[/name_u]’ is awesome but I do wonder if it’s too much with a middle name that’s also a surname and then baby’s actual surname. I guess it depends on what they are though. [name_m]Wells[/name_m] for some reason really appeals to me; it’s not something I’d usually like but it has a really stately, almost preppy vibe to it? Might have the same issue as [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] though (last name overload). [name_m]Macklin[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Mac[/name_m]’ is interesting. I like [name_m]Mac[/name_m] but I think I’d prefer it as a nickname for Cornac personally. I think, for the reasons I’ve listed and because I love it, my vote goes to [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. It’s getting more popular, yes, but I don’t think outrageously so, plus [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] is such an awesome nickname.

1 Like

I think [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is perfect for you - tradicional but unexpected. [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] works well as a first name. The three surnames wouldn’t bother me, but if you’re not sure about it, then I would also eliminate [name_m]Wells[/name_m] and pick [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] are quite popular, but [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] offers you many nickname options. Have you thought about [name_m]Eddy[/name_m] or [name_m]Bear[/name_m]?
I’m not crazy about [name_m]Macklin[/name_m], sorry.

1 Like

Where are you based?

[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is very popular in the UK, and has been for a while, but it’s been decreasing in popularity for a few years now. I know far more little Theos and Teddys of my children’s age (all under 5) than Charlies.

In the US, [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is still pretty uncommon, but rising rapidly for both sexes. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is also becoming increasingly popular, although [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] still feel quite quirky.

[name_m]Wells[/name_m] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] are great! I especially like [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] because of its versatility. [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is solid but jaunty, [name_u]Sully[/name_u] is sweet and friendly, and [name_u]Van[/name_u] sounds cool for any age.

[name_m]Macklin[/name_m] I’m not crazy about personally, but it’s also a good choice if you’re looking for underused names with nickname potential. It doesn’t seem too out there, since other [name_m]Mac[/name_m] and Mc names are pretty popular.

A few suggestions for you…

[name_m]Franklin[/name_m] “[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]”
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] “[name_m]Mac[/name_m]”
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] “[name_m]Mac[/name_m]” or “[name_m]Wells[/name_m]”
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] “[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]” (because of “bear” meaning) or “[name_m]Archie[/name_m]”
[name_m]Orson[/name_m] “[name_u]Sonny[/name_u]” or “[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]” (again, means “bear”)
[name_m]Alfred[/name_m] “[name_u]Alfie[/name_u]” or “[name_u]Freddie[/name_u]”
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m] “[name_m]Rad[/name_m]”
[name_m]Edison[/name_m] “[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]” or “[name_u]Sonny[/name_u]”
[name_m]Darwin[/name_m] “[name_u]Win[/name_u]”
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] “[name_u]Rafe[/name_u]/[name_m]Raff[/name_m]” “[name_m]Raffy[/name_m]”
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] “[name_u]Max[/name_u]/[name_m]Mac[/name_m]” or “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]”
[name_u]August[/name_u] “[name_m]Auggie[/name_m]” or “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]”
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] “[name_u]Laurie[/name_u]”
[name_m]Winston[/name_m] “[name_u]Win[/name_u]”
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] “[name_u]Fox[/name_u]”

Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Out of your choices I think [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] is great. I dont think it’s overly popular yet

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] also feels like a solid choice. Middle and first names are raely used together and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] feels very namey anyway.

[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]([name_m]Donny[/name_m], [name_m]Dez[/name_m], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]), [name_m]Edward[/name_m] ([name_u]Teddy[/name_u], [name_m]Eddy[/name_m]), [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] ([name_u]Mack[/name_u]) and [name_m]Donovan[/name_m] ([name_m]Donny[/name_m], [name_u]Van[/name_u]) also came to mind as alternative options

1 Like

[name_m]Wells[/name_m] is my favorite, followed by [name_m]Macklin[/name_m]! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow such a cool list but Incompletely understand each of your concerns. All of your concerns in my place my first pick from your list is [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and then [name_m]Theodore[/name_m].

You’ve been given some good suggestions above. Without repeating those I think [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], I also think of [name_m]Fredrick[/name_m] but not quite sure that would work!

1 Like
  1. [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
  2. [name_m]Macklin[/name_m]

[name_m]Don[/name_m]’t particularly care for the others to be honest. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is a mouthful. [name_m]Wells[/name_m] is very unfamiliar at least in the US (looks like it’s missing a letter… Wellis?)

1 Like

[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is absolutely wonderful, but he probably won’t be the only one in his class.

I love love love the nickname [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], but I didn’t realize it was so popular. I like the suggestion of [name_m]Edward[/name_m] to get to [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] (also, love [name_m]Eddie[/name_m]).

1 Like

I adore [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] “[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]”, but it’s so great to see someone else who loves [name_m]Macklin[/name_m]! “[name_m]Mac[/name_m]” is so adorable. I’m not sure which to vote for, but it’s between those two for me.

[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is quite popular, yes. And, yes, [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is on the rise and very well could be as common as [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] in the next few years. --But don’t let that stop you from using either name, as popularity matters less than loving the name you choose!
I’m not a huge fan of [name_m]Wells[/name_m] myself, but I do think that if you are having any hesitations at all or feeling less keen on it than than the others, it’s probably not the best choice for you.
I definitely would rule out [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] if the middle name is a surname.
I honestly love [name_m]Macklin[/name_m] and don’t think it’s too out-there at all! It has a perfect fits-in/stands-out sound and vibe.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this could help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]… No one (except maybe you) will be saying First-Middle-Last names together!
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is my 2nd pick, but agree it’s getting more popular if that bothers you.

1 Like

[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is one of the sweetest boy names out there. It just sounds so friendly to me! I don’t think it’s too popular if you really love it!

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is definitely trending upward, but just like [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], I think your feelings about the name carry more weight. [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] is my favorite nickname for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. It just sounds so stylish!

I don’t think [name_m]Wells[/name_m] is too out there. There was a Bachelorette contestant who is now married to the actress [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] Hyland named [name_m]Wells[/name_m]. I think that has made the name more familiar. I think it’s nice.

I love [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], but not a huge fan of [name_u]Sully[/name_u]. I feel like the concern about three surnames in a row truly depends on what the names are. [name_u]Trust[/name_u] your gut on that one!

[name_m]Macklin[/name_m] is my least favorite on your list. Reminds of the character [name_m]Burt[/name_m] [name_m]Macklin[/name_m] on [name_m]Parks[/name_m] and Rec. But [name_m]Mac[/name_m] is such an adorable nickname. What about another way to get there? [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]? McCoy? [name_m]Macaulay[/name_m]? [name_u]Macon[/name_u]?

I would vote for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], nickname [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]. [name_m]Mac[/name_m] comes in a close second (I vote for [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]!)

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Wells[/name_m]. I think it’s very cute. I don’t think it necessarily needs a nickname, but I’m sure he’ll get nicknames from you two even if it doesn’t come directly from [name_m]Wells[/name_m] (I have a sister named [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] called [name_u]Bo[/name_u]). I also like [name_m]Wilson[/name_m] which seems like something in between [name_m]Wells[/name_m] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] (my second fave from your list).

1 Like

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is my favorite

I’d also suggest [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] nn [name_u]Cal[/name_u], [name_u]Leland[/name_u] nn [name_u]Lee[/name_u], and [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] nn [name_u]Andy[/name_u]/[name_u]Drew[/name_u].

1 Like

I adore [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_m]Wells[/name_m]! Those are my favorites from your list but theyre all great! I dont think you can go wrong with any of these.

1 Like

I love your list! I think my favorite is [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]–a sweet-spot name in terms of popularity (imo) and [name_u]Sully[/name_u] is adorable. I don’t think [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] Lastname Lastname is necessarily a problem depending on what the names are, but of course your opinion of that is what really matters! I don’t think [name_m]Wells[/name_m] is too “out there” at all. It’s not my style, but I can definitely see the appeal. As others have pointed out though, it might pose the same triple-lastname question as [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], if that bothers you. [name_m]Macklin[/name_m] does feel a little more “out there” to me; I’ll be honest, I hadn’t heard of it. But it has all the makings of a very current name, and [name_m]Mac[/name_m] is a fun, familiar nickname. Maybe [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] could also work? I really like both [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (and [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] is so sweet), but I’m not sure exactly how popular they are where you are. I tend to think it’s worth using your very favorite name even if it’s popular, but ymmv. I also love @AdroitArtemis’s suggestion of [name_m]Edward[/name_m] nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], if you want something more underused!

1 Like

I just love [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] & [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], I know they’re a little popular right now but they are quite timeless and aren’t trendy at all. They’ll age extremely well compared to other popular names.

I just think there is something so handsome and strong about them, I could picture pretty much any kind of child or man with these names - and I think that’s a good thing.

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] would be my next choice, its a bit surnamey for my liking but still very cool. [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t say I’m personally a fan of [name_m]Wells[/name_m] or [name_m]Macklin[/name_m], sorry!

1 Like