Each parent calls child a different nickname?

What are your thoughts about the parents each having their own nickname for a child? Sweet or confusing?

[name_m]Case[/name_m] in point, we love the name [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. Husband likes [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] as a nickname and I prefer [name_f]Lena[/name_f] or [name_f]Leni[/name_f].

I think it’s ok. I do think it would get confusing going my both outside of the home. At school I’d pick one and stick with it, maybe the full name, and then the nicknames with family and at home. Using both [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lena[/name_f] outside of the home will definitely get confusing.

Oh, not weird at all! My name is [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]. Growing up, my mom would [name_m]Al[/name_m] or Liss and my dad would call me [name_u]Allie[/name_u]/[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] (he meant [name_u]Allie[/name_u], but he has a slight accent that makes “al” sound like “el”). It wasn’t confusing or anything…it was just normal.

I do think that @tamparays8 brought up a great point about home life vs. out of home life. It’d probably be easier to have her go by [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] at school and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]/[name_f]Lena[/name_f] with family and friends, who I assume would call her whatever they preferred until she is old enough to voice some preference, if any.

Not weird or problematic at all. My dad used to call me [name_f]Clary[/name_f] or [name_u]Reese[/name_u] all the time and my mom called me [name_u]Clare[/name_u].

No problem.

I don’t think it would be confusing in the slightest. My mum calls me all manner of nicknames and pet names as well as my full name, and my dad just calls me my full name, as far back as I can remember. It’s not an issue.

Thanks! It definitely makes sense to stick to one name for school.

My daughter’s name is [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and she has tons of nicknames! It hasn’t been a problem for us at all. Her great-grandparents all call her [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] for some reason, but most of us in her family call her [name_f]Enna[/name_f]. My husband and I occasionally call her [name_f]Nora[/name_f], but no one else does. She hasn’t started school yet, but at church and in official places like the dr. office she just goes by [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I’m pretty sure once she does start school she’ll just go by [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] there too. I love nick-names, I think they’re fun, so everyone in our family has lots of them!

I lean toward the adorable side! I think it’s pretty adorable for mom to have one nickname and dad another–I would assume they’d grow up feeling like [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], AND [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] are all just a part of who they are. :slight_smile:

I think its absolutely fine.

I think it’s totally fine and not at all weird. In plenty of languages, family members go by titles based on the specific relationship to the person, so they get called names that are idiosyncratic to the individual. People still function just fine going by lots and lots of different things. And it’s sweet when it’s a nickname because it almost endears the name to just one or two people.