Early Morning Spam

It seems that every morning I come on the site, the Girls Names forum is filled with ridiculous amounts of spam.

This morning it appears almost 2 pages deep; it becomes increasingly irritating when all you see is pages of gibberish (now they’re not even trying with “black magic” or “love potion” hooks - apparently button mashing is more effective at being annoying).

Is there not a way to put a stop to this at all? This and the constant issues on mobile with HTML format are really deterring me from wanting to continue using the site. This is the worst I’ve noticed in the past 4-5 years I’ve used the site.

As a moderator, I can’t stop the spam but if I’m on at the time and notice it I can delete the spam (which I did this morning).

I’ve deleted a ton today too. I agree it seems worse than ever but there’s not much more that can be done to stop it being posted unfortunately. The spam filters stop the most obvious, like anything containing the keywords you mentioned, but if it’s just a random stream of letters or characters then it’s impossible to block them without blocking any other completely legitimate posts that happen to contain the same sequence of letters (this is what caused some posting problems last week).

It really helps us if you report spam posts as soon as you see them (little triangle bottom right of the post). I get an email notification when a post is reported so will be able to log in and deal with it hopefully quite quickly.

An idea would be to require a “Captcha” when registering, which would help keep the machine-generated accounts down.

I can’t believe users are still having to make threads to complain about this. This ridiculous spamming has been going on for YEARS, and NOTHING has been done. Moderators can only do so much. Never in my life have I seen such an incompetently run website. [name_m]Add[/name_m] captchas and find an IT team that knows what they’re doing, for God’s sake. Maybe they’ll manage to fix all the broken links and get a handle on the obnoxious ads while they’re at it.

Is there a way to find out if it’s the same person doing it every day? If so, could their IP address be blocked or something?

We’re pretty sure it is the same person/program and I have passed on the IP address. Hopefully it can be blocked, though of course there are no guarantees that they won’t just set something similar up from another computer. I totally agree that the spam is getting ridiculous and am trying really hard to get it sorted!

Edit: looks like it’s a generic IP address so that’s a no-go :frowning:

Momberries and Birth Announcement forums both have a ton of spam right now. [name_m]Will[/name_m] reporting it make a difference? Is there anything else we can do to help?

Reporting the spam does help us get to it quicker!