Early Start - Feedback Please!

We recently decided to try for our first. My wife has left it to me to come up with name candidates. I have a VERY common name so really want something that will stand out. The baby would be half Norwegian so something with a norse flair would be good. I have been through lots of names already and here is whet I’ve come up with, my wife likes them all. What do you say? ([name]Elaine[/name] and [name]Alan[/name] are family names we would like to include)

Girls:
[name]Charli[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] ([name]Charles[/name] is an important family name and my wife’s name is bi-gender, which she loves)
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] ([name]Clara[/name] is in both our family trees)
[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] (My family tree)
[name]Adeline[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] ([name]Adeline[/name] is my grandmothers name)

Boys:
[name]Vonn[/name] [name]Alan[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] (Inspired by skier [name]Lindsay[/name] [name]Vonn[/name] and [name]Von[/name] is Norwegian for hope)
[name]Alan[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] (Calling him [name]Thor[/name]. I’ve always had this name in my head - is it to much for someone to live up to?)

[name]Clara[/name] is my favorite of your girl names, but I don’t really care for the flow of [name]Clara[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]. [name]Charli[/name] seems too insignificant as a first name, so perhaps you might consider [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elaine[/name], called [name]Charli[/name]? Thus, my top pick is [name]Adeline[/name], both because it is lovely and because it honors family. However, [name]Adeline[/name] and [name]Elaine[/name] sound rather similar, so might you consider [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Elsa[/name]? [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] is absolutely stunning, and [name]Elsa[/name] is similar to [name]Elaine[/name] in its first sounds…

For your boy names, [name]Thor[/name] does seem a bit much to live up to, but I prefer it to the sound of [name]Vonn[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] (i.e., [name]VONN[/name] [name]JOHNson[/name]). Honestly, neither of your boy names really excite me, but if you love them, I’d pick [name]Alan[/name] [name]Thor[/name]…

[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Alan[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
Bergthor [name]Alan[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
Bruni [name]Alan[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Alan[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Lukas[/name] [name]Alan[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

You’re right about [name]Charli[/name]/[name]Charlotte[/name]. I love [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Elsa[/name] but will have to talk my wife out of [name]Elaine[/name]. Bergthor is interesting as my wife’s maiden name has [name]Berg[/name] in it. I like [name]Henry[/name], or even [name]Henrik[/name], hmmm. Great feedback, Thanks!

I like [name]Clara[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] [name]Alan[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] the best. I think [name]Thor[/name] is a cool nickname.

I’m glad you liked the suggestion of [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Elsa[/name], as I think it is 100% stunning! Please let me know what your wife thinks…

As for Bergthor, that is such a cool connection! But, that seems like an awful lot of a first name in retrospect, so it might do best in the middle position. Honestly, my favorite is [name]Henry[/name] Bergthor [name]Johnson[/name], as I think it flows beautifully with [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Elsa[/name] (should you ever be fortunate to have both a girl and boy) and honors your heritage and your wife’s maiden name. But, with these names, you’d have to talk your wife out of both [name]Elaine[/name] and [name]Alan[/name]. Might she be soothed by the fact that Bergthor honors her maiden name and [name]Elsa[/name] sounds a bit like [name]Elaine[/name]?

Now we’re liking for the boy:
[name]Andrew[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

For the girl:
[name]Adeline[/name] [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Alanna[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

Thoughts?

[name]Hi[/name]!:slight_smile: I think that [name]Andrew[/name] is very handsome, but I thought I’d mention that [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] was a U.S. president. It may not be an issue for you, but I thought I’d let you know in case. :slight_smile:

I think a longer first name would sound great!

[name]Adeline[/name] [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]: I think this is pretty…

[name]Clara[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]: I love [name]Clara[/name], but because [name]Clara[/name] ends in an A and the middle starts with a vowel, I don’t think the flow is the best.

[name]Alanna[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]: I think this is pretty…I also like [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]. Because you like [name]Elaine[/name], you may also like [name]Elaina[/name] or [name]Helena[/name] (both [name]Elaine[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] are forms of [name]Helen[/name]).

You have some wonderful family names! :slight_smile:

Take care!

[name]Hi[/name]!:slight_smile: I love [name]Andrew[/name], but I thought I’d mention that [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] was a U.S. president. It may not be an issue for you, but I thought I’d let you know in case. :slight_smile:

I think a longer first name would sound great!

[name]Adeline[/name] [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]: I think this is pretty…

[name]Clara[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]: I love [name]Clara[/name], but because [name]Clara[/name] ends in an A and the middle starts with a vowel, I don’t think the flow is the best.

[name]Alanna[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]: I think this is pretty…I also like [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]. Because you like [name]Elaine[/name], you may also like [name]Elaina[/name], or [name]Helena[/name] (both [name]Elaine[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] are forms of [name]Helen[/name]).

You have some wonderful family names! :slight_smile:

Take care![/quote]

Thanks [name]Jill[/name]!

I did think of President [name]Johnson[/name] but since we plan to call him [name]Thor[/name], didn’t see it as an issue. He’ll mostly be known as [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]. I’m thinking he can sign checks “A. [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]”.

My mother’s name is [name]Mary[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] so we can’t use that one! My Grandma was [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Anna[/name]. We’ll have to keep working on the girl name.

[name]Clara[/name] & [name]Andrew[/name] are both lovely choices :slight_smile:

I like your girl choices, and I voted for [name]Henry[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] on your poll thread. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Freya[/name]? I think that would meet your criteria and is such a lovely name!

What about [name]Loki[/name] it is also a Norse god and I personally like it better than [name]Thor[/name].

I was afraid [name]Henry[/name] would be the run away winner. I love it but my wife HATES the name [name]Henry[/name]. Maybe it will grow on her. I considered [name]Freya[/name] but don’t really like it - kind of looks like [name]Fred[/name] to me. We came across the name Svea which we like a lot but its Swedish for [name]Sweden[/name] and we’re of Norwegian heritage so I guess it won’t do. :frowning:

If we went with a different Norse god it would have to be [name]Odin[/name]. We are considering [name]Vonn[/name] [name]Odin[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Eira[/name] (prn AY-ra) is my absolute favourite Norwegian name for a girl. It means “mercy” :slight_smile:

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] would be a lovely combo as [name]Lemon[/name] suggested. [name]Clara[/name] is a lovely name as well. My favourite though, is [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Elsa[/name]. [name]Adeline[/name] works to honour [name]Elaine[/name] imo because all the letters of [name]Elaine[/name] are there in pretty much the same order.

[name]Elin[/name] is also a Norwegian form of [name]Helen[/name]/[name]Elaine[/name] if that appeals.

I think [name]Thor[/name] is usable (I went to school with a [name]Zeus[/name] once and he did fine) but [name]Odin[/name] is definitely the more “user-friendly” as it is less associated with mythology as [name]Thor[/name] is.

I love the Norwegian [name]Theodor[/name]. It’s very versatile because it is so similar to [name]Theodore[/name], whilst still being Norwegian and you could use [name]Thor[/name] as a nickname.
[name]Theodor[/name] [name]Vonn[/name] nn [name]Thor[/name] would be a distinguished choice imo.

I love the idea of using [name]Thor[/name]! Why not use it in the first name place? Too much? There was the idea of [name]Henry[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] floating around…I think it flows a little better than [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Thor[/name]. As for the girls, I really like [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elaine[/name], nn [name]Charli[/name]…what a lovely idea whoever it was that posted that! I also like the suggestion of [name]Freya[/name] and your idea of [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Elaine[/name].
Some more possibilities…

Boys:
[name]Eric[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Anders[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

Girls:
[name]Astrid[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Edda[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
Jordis [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Nessa[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

Good luck!

I love the idea of using [name]Thor[/name]! Why not use it in the first name place? Too much? There was the idea of [name]Henry[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] floating around…I think it flows a little better than [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Thor[/name]. As for the girls, I really like [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elaine[/name], nn [name]Charli[/name]…what a lovely idea whoever it was that posted that! I also like the suggestion of [name]Freya[/name] and your idea of [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Elaine[/name].
Some more possibilities…

Boys:
[name]Eric[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Anders[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] [name]Thor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

Girls:
[name]Astrid[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Edda[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
Jordis [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Nessa[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

Good luck![/quote]

[name]Thor[/name] as a first name we thought was too much. We thought we would start out calling him [name]Thor[/name] and if it was too much to live up to he could revert to his first name. But you guys are starting to open my mind up to the idea. Hmmm… [name]Thor[/name] [name]Maxwell[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]? We also came up with and like [name]Vonn[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Johnson[/name].

I like [name]Eira[/name] and [name]Theodor[/name] - gonna throw them into the mix. What do you think of [name]Vonn[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]? [name]Just[/name] came up with it and initially really like it.

Personally I love [name]Rhys[/name]. I have since I was a little girl. If I ever have a boy he will be [name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name]…so yeah…I love it, but [name]Vonn[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] seems to run together as they are both one syllable. Like it is Vonrees.

I love it – just not as much with [name]Vonn[/name].

Yes, [name]Vonn[/name] seems to run together with everything. Adding the extra n helps though. My wife is in love with this name!

Yes, [name]Vonn[/name] seems to run together with everything. Adding the extra n helps though. My wife is in love with this name![/quote]

Like the previous poster, I love [name]Rhys[/name], but not with [name]Vonn[/name] at all. I think [name]Rhys[/name] would make an amazing first name, but I’m just not a [name]Vonn[/name] fan, and I don’t like the sound of [name]Vonn[/name] [name]Johnson[/name], either…

[name]Rhys[/name] [name]Thorvald[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]? You could still call him [name]Thor[/name] as a pet name, but [name]Rhys[/name] is too amazing not to use regularly, too! What do you and your wife think?

Also, which of you is Norwegian? I’m going to guess your wife, since your last name is [name]Johnson[/name], but I just wanted to make sure…