Eartha?

What do you think of the name [name]Eartha[/name]? I think its just beautiful!

Thanks!

Sounds to much like [name]Bertha[/name] to me.

[name]Gaia[/name], which means earth, is nicer.

I like it!

Instantly thought of “big [name]Bertha[/name]” Sorry.

It’s not really my style but I do like that it is “green” nature appeal.a [name]Terra[/name] means earth and [name]Gaia[/name] as stated above, “earth goddess”. I just discovered [name]Harte[/name] = [name]Earth[/name], and I thought that was pretty a good alternative. Is it the sound of the name you like or the meaning?
If the sound, how about [name]Athena[/name], [name]Thea[/name] ect.?

I immediately thought of [name]Eartha[/name] [name]Kitt[/name], and now [name]Bertha[/name] is on my mind. (I’m sorry!) :slight_smile:

I’m with [name]Jill[/name]. [name]Eartha[/name] [name]Kitt[/name], through and through.

Ditto!

Yes, it’s all [name]Eartha[/name] [name]Kitt[/name] to me, too! That’s not a bad thing at all, though. :slight_smile: I think it qualifies as a hipper than hipster name; I would be intrigued upon meeting an [name]Eartha[/name].

I thought of first, [name]Eartha[/name] [name]Kitt[/name], then immediately [name]Etta[/name] [name]Fitzgerald[/name]. I don’t know why. Probably, the era they were from or maybe its my hormones doing crazy things!

[name]Eartha[/name] nn [name]Etta[/name]??

I don’t like the name [name]Bertha[/name] and even if by some fluke it became fashionable again, I still don’t think that I would like it. And [name]Eartha[/name] kind of pops [name]Bertha[/name] into my mind too, like the others said.

But, when I am in my hippy moods, then yes, I have considered “[name]Green[/name]” names too - like [name]Eartha[/name]. [name]Gaia[/name] was a name I threw around too a few years ago. (But was afraid of the [name]Gay[/name] teasing that would probably come along with it). I like astrology, so I was also into names that corresponded with the zodiac. Or [name]Goddess[/name] names.

Although I like the [name]Earth[/name] (I was born here, in fact), I don’t think this is a great sounding name. It does rhyme with [name]Bertha[/name]… it’s challenging to say this the right way. Certain names just don’t appeal to me by sound, no matter who I might meet with the name. It sounds so old already. It’s not the kind of name I feel has fashion in any era.

I’m willing to be wrong about this, though. I can feel certain names in the atmosphere that recall [name]Eartha[/name] that are just more pleasant now, if not appealing directly to me, I’d prefer many of these names to [name]Eartha[/name]. The more I say it in my head, the nicer it even sounds already, but here I go:

[name]Martha[/name] - never in a million years did I ever think I’d like this name. I have known 3 quite contemporary to my age and made me think it over as a cool name. One was named [name]Florence[/name] actually (another name I’d never figure to seem fresh again) and because she didn’t want to be called [name]Flossie[/name] (I mean, who ever!?), she went by [name]Marti[/name] for her middle name (I didn’t like the nickname better than hazards of going by [name]Florence[/name], though). One other was just [name]Martha[/name], and the other exposes [name]Martha[/name] as her middle name and goes by 2 names.

[name]Ethel[/name] - When I was in my teens, I totally fell in love with this. I grew up near [name]Bethel[/name], NY, and actually prefer [name]Bethel[/name]. I don’t love it as hard anymore, but it’s still appealing to me.

[name]Esther[/name] - Another name I associate with peers of [name]Eartha[/name] but with slightly-to-quite more appealing sound overall. [name]Esther[/name] hits me right in the “are we all ready for baby Esthers yet?” spot. 'Cause I like it and want it.

[name]Gerta[/name] - nameberry isn’t that positive about this name. However, it’s pretty close to [name]Greta[/name], which I think is a really fantastic name (personal short-list-wise). Someone’s mom had this name when I was growing up or a Girl [name]Scout[/name] troop leader. Can’t say I ever met the woman personally, but she was around, somewhere.

[name]Elsa[/name] - This takes the sounds I don’t like out of [name]Eartha[/name] and replaces them entirely with different consonant sounds.

When it comes right down to it, Ls and Ss and Ms appeal more over time than RTHs. There are so many names, there are so many letters and combinations of letters and derivatives of history and language, and different ones appeal more than others to each of us - it seems statistically more favorable to most to choose names with at least a dose of a lilt compared to a heavy sound and certain letters convey that better than others, or more popularly, I should say: K and T and P, for example.

On the other hand, even if everyone doesn’t have the same name, it can sometimes sound like we are taking a lot of the few same letters and mixing them around, adding in cautious amounts of powerful sounds. It is like cooking, and maybe some people like lots of hot pepper, most people only like “the right amount” and some people despise it altogether. So most people will stay in safe, tame territory.

It’s nice and somewhat distinct to go the other way. I can picture this little girl [name]Eartha[/name], saying her name and not thinking there’s anything wrong with it, and being positively proud that her name isn’t [name]Olivia[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name], not just in terms of popularity, but that it just sounds completely different. I can even compare it to [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Ava[/name] in balance and rhythm, so it comes into those popular names with a very interesting and unexpected twist.

Ok, I’ve convinced myself. It’s a pretty good name, it’s capable and interesting and could after all be young as the person who has it. Sorry for the giant post.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Gaia[/name], but how are you pronouncing it? Since you said the comment about “gay” teasing, I’m assuming you’re saying it gay-uh. Not that this is wrong, but I’ve only ever heard it pronounced guy-uh/guy-yuh (my accent makes it sound more like guy-yuh), which I think is is/are beautiful and would make the gay references harder to come up with.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Gaia[/name], but how are you pronouncing it? Since you said the comment about “gay” teasing, I’m assuming you’re saying it gay-uh. Not that this is wrong, but I’ve only ever heard it pronounced guy-uh/guy-yuh (my accent makes it sound more like guy-yuh), which I think is is/are beautiful and would make the gay references harder to come up with.[/quote]

I am too pronouncing it [name]Guy[/name]-yuh… but I have seen a variation [name]Gaya[/name] (same pro. like [name]Kaya[/name] and [name]Maya[/name]) and I can see people being cruel and doing the same thing with [name]Gaia[/name] saying [name]Gay[/name]-yah… etc.

It reminds me of [name]Eartha[/name] [name]Kitt[/name] from Batman of the 60s.

Have you considered [name]Ocean[/name] or [name]Oceana[/name]? I much prefer these names, though they are similar in style to [name]Eartha[/name].

I actually really love the name [name]Eartha[/name]. I would never have given it a second glance if it wasn’t for an amazing woman I met named [name]Eartha[/name]. She makes the name wonderful, and for that reason I truly love the name.
It’s also very unique without sounding made up. It’s kind of hippie-ish, and I really like it.

I like [name]Eartha[/name]!

I can’t say that I like it too much. I prefer [name]Gaia[/name], which means the same thing but has a prettier sound to me.