EAT initails - A reason to reconsider?

The current frontrunner for our baby boys name is [name]Easton[/name] [name]Avery[/name] and our last name starts with a T. This make the initals EAT. I don’t think that’s too terrible since ‘eat’ is not a bad word. My initials were BED before I got married. I want to run this by others and get some feedback. Thanks!

Oh, god… as a former “fat kid” who got teased on the school bus, who grew up with a bulimic mom, I would NEVER use these initials. I hope he’s never anything close to chubby, or skinny for that matter… unless he has a good sense of humor. [name]Hope[/name] for muscle tone and wit.

Also, I’m sorry if this is sexist, but I really think of [name]Avery[/name] as a girl’s name, and I think it may be getting girlier a la [name]Kelly[/name] and [name]Ashley[/name]. Like [name]Easton[/name] though. Actually, I really like it. If I were you, I’d pick a different middle, thereby eliminating both the potentially humiliating initials and the potentially confusing/odd/dated middle. Good luck :slight_smile:

I would reconsider. I liked [name]Grace[/name] [name]Anna[/name] for our daughter…but her initials would be GAG!!!

I would reconsider. I liked [name]Grace[/name] [name]Anna[/name] for our daughter…but her initials would be GAG!!!

Really? I’m a little surprised at the feedback I’m getting on this!

[name]Easton[/name] [name]Avery[/name] sounds fantastic. [name]Love[/name] the name [name]Easton[/name] - so rugged! As for the initials EAT, a boy in my class had those exact initials but nobody really cared. Sure when he first brought it up everybody had a chuckle, but then everybody else in the class noticed what their initials spelled out and EAT certainly was nothing to worry about. As long is its something that you and he are able to laugh about then go for it!
Any which way, it is rare that you see someones intials spelled out like that, unless you’re into monogramming. [name]Easton[/name] A. “[name]Thompson[/name]” or E. [name]Avery[/name] “[name]Thompson[/name]” will certainly not be teased.

I don’t think EAT initials would be too terrible, since you can minimize initials somewhat by not having things monogrammed, etc. However, pp is right that [name]Avery[/name] is much more popular for girls now (it was #32 for girls in 2009 vs #223 for boys, and I’m pretty sure the gap is getting wider.) Does [name]Avery[/name] have special significance to you? It may not be a huge deal, but I think you might be better off picking a different middle name. [name]Do[/name] you have any others in the running? [name]Easton[/name] is great, btw :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about:
[name]Easton[/name] [name]Henry[/name]*
[name]Easton[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]*
[name]Easton[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]*
[name]Easton[/name] [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Easton[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Easton[/name] [name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Easton[/name] [name]Liam[/name]
[name]Easton[/name] [name]James[/name]*
[name]Easton[/name] [name]Zachary[/name] (similar sound to [name]Avery[/name])

Good luck!

[name]EDIT[/name]: [name]Just[/name] wanted to qualify my post by saying that if [name]Easton[/name] [name]Avery[/name] is THE name, and nothing else appeals to you quite as much, then by all means you should use it! I don’t think either the EAT initials or the ‘unisex’ nature of [name]Avery[/name] are that big of a deal if this is really the name for you!

As someone just about to give her son a name which initials spell WAR, I have to say that EAT is not a big deal!!! We came to the conclusion that no other name was measuring up to the one we had chosen and the less-than-ideal initials just paled in comparison to using a name which wasn’t right.

As an aside, I don’t care what ratings/other people say [name]Avery[/name] is a form of [name]Alfred[/name] and as such is a boys name… It’s a shame that because it ends with a ee sound that people have decided it must be used for girls (I actually met a female [name]Henry[/name] the other day - don’t know what her parents were thinking…). Anyway, [name]Easton[/name] [name]Avery[/name] is handsome!! I wouldn’t use either name personally but the combination does sound good together. [name]Even[/name] if you think [name]Avery[/name] is a girls name (which I don’t) it is in the middle spot - so no big deal.

Although, the only thing that would make me think that this name isn’t right for you is if you were put off by what people on here have said. I generally believe that if the name is “right” then you will still love it and use it despite what people say. [name]Just[/name] something to think about.

[name]Hope[/name] that helps, [name]Fran[/name] x

I think it’s fine. If anyone ever noticed it spells EAT, I think it’ll be a more, oh that’s interesting sort of response.

As far as [name]Avery[/name] for a boy, I much prefer it on a boy, and it’s in the middle, so it’s not a big deal even if it’s a “girl name” now.

I’m incredibly of anything ending in an A or Y suddenly becoming a girl’s name. That female [name]Henry[/name] makes me want to puke.

[name]Easton[/name] [name]Avery[/name] is a fantastic name. [name]Avery[/name] is a boy’s name. I recently posted that I secretly want to name a little boy [name]Aubrey[/name], [name]Meredith[/name], or [name]Ashley[/name]. To me, they are boy names, even if they are popular for girls. The initials EAT are of little significance when it’s a name you love. Go for it.

I have been wondering the same thing! I don”t think it’s a big deal… If this baby is a girl, she will likely have those initials. [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Amber[/name] is what I’m set on at the moment. My Original choice would of been [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Amber[/name] but that would give her FAT, which I can’t do. so EAT doesn’t seem quite as bad… Funny how both my picks ended up a food related word! lol
I think [name]Easton[/name] [name]Avery[/name] is a handsome name.

I dont see the big deal about EAT initials. Especially for a boy, who will probably never think/talk about his initials.

I don’t think its an issue at all. [name]Easton[/name] [name]Avery[/name] is a great name for a boy - I have a male cousin who is my age (34) named [name]Avery[/name] and I’ve always liked it - whether on a boy or girl. If it sounds good to you, then its the right name for your baby!

My husband saw me reading this and said, “What? I’d love it if my initials were EAT!” Personally, as a foodie, I would find those initials kind of fun too. :slight_smile: I’d say it’s up to you, and not a hugely big deal if you go with it.

Also - [name]Easton[/name] [name]Avery[/name] is fantastic! I don’t really care that “it’s a girl name” now…it ought to be a boy’s name, and when I hear “[name]Avery[/name]” I think first of the brother in [name]Charlotte[/name]'s [name]Web[/name]. As a middle name I think it’s just fine. :slight_smile:

My intials spelt FEW before I got married and not a single person noticed or at least commented on it. I know my mum worried about it and decided that if it was a problem I could switch my first and second names around and still be known as [name]Freya[/name]. Also, EAT really isn’t a bad word (I can think of a lot of 3 letter words that you wouldn’t want to saddle a little boy with, this isn’t one of them!) but if he doesn’t like the look of his monogram he could switch them around and be AET but still known as [name]Easton[/name].

And [name]Avery[/name] is definitely a boys name to me! :slight_smile: