Edit: What are the newest Elizabeths called these days?

My oldest daughter is [name]Elizabeth[/name], nn [name]Lily[/name]. She’s five.

I would have never guessed [name]Lily[/name] was a nickname for [name]Elizabeth[/name]. I love the name [name]Lily[/name], and would love to use it as a nickname! Thanks!

[name]Jill[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] the combo [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Violet[/name]. I just don’t know if my husband will go for it. I’ll work on him, though, because that is gorgeous!

I love [name]Lily[/name] for [name]Elizabeth[/name]! :slight_smile: I think [name]Sela[/name] [name]Ward[/name]'s character on Once and Again was [name]Elizabeth[/name], nn [name]Lily[/name].

I’m glad you like [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Violet[/name]! That was my favorite, too! I hope your husband likes it! :slight_smile:

Have a good night!

I watch a 2 year old [name]Elizabeth[/name] who is called “[name]Izzy[/name].” I think it’s cute.

I’m loving [name]Libby[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name], and [name]Beth[/name] is a nice, refreshing choice. [name]Liz[/name] and [name]Lizzie[/name] are a bit overused, but I do love [name]Eliza[/name]. [name]Lisa[/name] is also one that could come back soon, its very pretty. I’ve heard [name]Tibby[/name], but thats more of a [name]Tabitha[/name] nickname. [name]Betty[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], and [name]Betsy[/name] have a old-timey feel too, so perhaps you like that. There was actually a new little [name]Rebecca[/name] born in my neighborhood recently, and the family calls her Bex. Perhaps that could work as a modern, new nickname for [name]Elizabeth[/name]? The X ending is very unusual and I am growing quite fond of it.

I love the names [name]Elizabeth[/name] there is just so much you can do with it! It is also one of the names that my father’s side of the family loves to recycle. (along with stephan, james and anne) We have a tone of [name]Elizabeth[/name]'s in my family and none of them are called the same thing!. My great grandmother was [name]Elizabeth[/name] she was called [name]Eliza[/name] my grandmother was [name]Elizabeth[/name], and was called [name]Betty[/name], Her daughter my aunt is also an [name]Elizabeth[/name] and goes by [name]Liz[/name] or [name]Lizzy[/name] her daughter, my cousin also called [name]Elizabeth[/name] has always been called [name]Beth[/name] (one of my favorite nick names for [name]Elizabeth[/name] and i’m surprised no one has mentioned it yet) and [name]Beth[/name]'s daughter also [name]Elizabeth[/name] is called [name]Ella[/name] (which for such a cute toddler I think is adorable). I also have a spinkling of a few other 3 and 4th cousins who also share that name, and the last time I saw them they were going by (although she spells [name]Elizabeth[/name] with an S not a Z, [name]Lisa[/name] and [name]Buffy[/name]. (i’m not sure how buffy got thrown in there) Honestly if it wasn’t so overused in my family I would probably name my child it someday.

ok so in my family alone we have a . . .:

[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Liz[/name]
[name]Lizzy[/name]
[name]Betty[/name]
[name]Beth[/name]
[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Lisa[/name]
[name]Buffy[/name]

Bex is cute! I don’t think my husband would go for that one at all because he outright hates the name [name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name] (I’ve tried to get him to warm up to this one for years!)

Thanks for the real-life examples, too! It looks like we could call her just about whatever we like, or she can come up with whatever she likes! It helps to know what Elizabeths are being called these days!

I just wanted to mention how ideal of a name [name]Elizabeth[/name] can be (we, too, are strongly considering it). It’s a name with options; although we plan on calling her [name]LIzzie[/name], as she gets older, she has many more nicknames from which to choose. I think that is a wonderful gift for your child! I know countless people who dislike their names but have few, if any, nickname options.

Also, even though [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a popular name, it’s not trendy. Fad names lack so much sophistication, even if it is a lovely (even sophisticated sounding) name.

I think [name]Betta[/name] is an interesting and unique option; I also like [name]Bessie[/name], but my husband says that’s a name reserved for cows. Fooey! I thought it was cute.

Good luck to all.